A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

TalkingHead

I have not kept up with the rumors on this, but the last I heard is was simply a next-generation version of Soarin' by adding additional movement capability. If that remains true, then it really is just Soarin 3.whatever, IMO.

Same here. I don't know what the specific ride system is. We'll see what it is when it opens, but if it's at all similar, you can bet some guests will say it's "like that hang-glider ride at Epcot."

TalkingHead

that is not accurate.

The bigger point remains. If Avatar is being asked to move the needle on resort attendance...well, I bet some of the management team have had flashbacks to Timekeeper: "The pants are full!"

(Shame that for all the fan-love of old attractions, Timekeeper gets so little attention. It's the kind of entertainment that's so thoroughly lacking in modern-day WDW's attraction lineup, but I digress...)

Monorail_Orange

Same here. I don't know what the specific ride system is. We'll see what it is when it opens, but if it's at all similar, you can bet some guests will say it's "like that hang-glider ride at Epcot."
I agree, even if it is a new ride system, if the result is a similar experience, perception from the guests would still be that it's the latest and greatest version of Soarin'. But here's to hoping Andrew's on to something and this will be noticeably new and different in great ways.

betty rose

I agree, even if it is a new ride system, if the result is a similar experience, perception from the guests would still be that it's the latest and greatest version of Soarin'. But here's to hoping Andrew's on to something and this will be noticeably new and different in great ways.
I'm hoping for that too. At this point, I'll be grateful for anything. Well, not really, don't like the mall, named Disney Springs. I do want to try the restaurants. Back to original post. Sorry.

bcoachable

I'm so happy to hear that. I have gone since the beginning, and own DVC, they started cutting after we bought in. So much was promised and so little was delivered. Do I love Disney, yes.....but I don't stay in the parks like I used to. We are going to eat at City Walk this year. My first time over to the dark side:joyfull:.

If you go to Magarativille- do not hesitate.... order the nachos. But you better bring three friends...

bcoachable

Since this thread has now moved to Avatar..
Can anyone confirm or deny the rumor that the Avatar boat ride system is similar to the Shanghai POC boat ride system?

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I know it's all subjective, but the only "weak offering" to me this summer is Frozen Ever After. Everything else is right up my ally. Of course, I'm not a big ride fan so the nighttime offerings at DAK, the new SW fireworks at DHS, and castle show at MK quench my thirst...for the time being
I mean I hope the offerings are good but they are not anything to celebrate. Most of it is Meh. I mean I enjoy these things to but compared to the Jones down the street they are very behind. It's more of they have nothing to get Guests in, nice changes for those who are already booked but I don't think anyone is going to plan a trip now due to the new stage show.

doctornick

Since this thread has now moved to Avatar..
Can anyone confirm or deny the rumor that the Avatar boat ride system is similar to the Shanghai POC boat ride system?

The construction photos did show a trough (leading to a maintenance bay) that could be consistent with the ride system for Shanghai's POTC.

Mike S

Regarding Flight of Passage, if @Disneyhead'71 is excited for it and he's one of Disney's biggest critics I'm willing to wait till I actually ride it.

To @LuvtheGoof, yes long timelines aren't new, but it sure doesn't feel as long when there's multiple things setup to open in relatively quick succession. Just look at what else opened around the time of Everest. Also look at Universal.

rd805

Avatar started construction in January 2014, so only a bit over 3 years. Estimates on SWL for DL is less than 3 years from start to finish, and there is only speculation as to when the DHS version will be done. In case you didn't know, but the last what you call E-Ticket, Expedition Everest - took 6 years for planning and construction, so long timelines are nothing new. NO ONE knows for sure exactly how long the current projects are going to take to complete.

Avatar was announced in 2011.... I bash because it took 3 years before construction even started, and then 3 years to actually build it!

seabreezept813

Spirited Quickee of WDW News that is sure to be lost in posts about burgers and why we should or shouldn't be on FB:

WDW summer projections are in the toilet. No one is clearly excited by the Awakens promo, which is almost non-existent compared with marketing for UNI and now SW/BGT. You could tell something was up by the lack of CM blockouts this summer. Then we had the 35% off AP rates at WDW resorts. And now ...

Now, WDW is about to announce that those FL resident tickets that were supposed to be blocked out for the entire summer will now be good the entire summer (except for July 1st-4th).

Yup. Nothing is wrong in the swamps. The ticket increases and food and beverage increases and cuts are having no effect at all ... sure.

OK, y'all have great afternoons and go back to whatever you were talking about.

I am not surprised by this at all. I was having a conversation with some coworkers who enjoy Disney vacations. We all agreed that it's just too overpriced for families.

We had a small vaca budget this year and are opting to do a quick beach trip to Fort Lauderdale. If we had really wanted to stretch it, we could have done Disney, but we feel outpriced. I had never before considered going to Florida without seeing Disney, but sadly my family just can't justify it. Instead we'll save for a few years so we can do a proper Orlando trip and venture outside Disney, especially to Harry Potter world. So Disney won't be having our $$ for a few years now.

No Name

This is apparently an issue with TDO and WDW-specific management. Disneyland added a more elaborate Princess Fantasy Faire "hug zone" attraction to their Fantasyland that also added a princess stage show and some food/merch options to the land, and yet somehow carved it out of unused space next to the Castle while keeping Disneyland's 12 rides in Fantasyland running.

WDW's Fantasyland had to drop from 9 rides to 8 rides to get their Princess hug zone built, and it didn't have the stage show that Disneyland got. And this in the sprawling Magic Kingdom Park that has "the blessing of size" and acres and acres of unused land. That's just weird.

And it also tells me these are purposeful decisions made by WDW management. TDO either knows their audience really wanted this Princess hug zone more than an operating dark ride in a Castle park that has 15 fewer rides than Disneyland, or they have weak leadership skills. Perhaps a combination of those two things.

And thanks to @Bocabear for coming up with the "hug zone" label. A hysterically accurate description of these things!

I would not call it weird. It's easy to understand (not agree with, but understand), and has nothing to do with size of the land or ability of management to use the space effectively.

In Disneyland, this was not added as part of any Fantasyland expansion. There was no justification for getting rid of a ride. If they did, they would've not only ticked off many fans, but also gotten a lot of negative attention from the news. It would've been bad.

In WDW, and I'm sure you know this... Snow White's Scary Adventures wasn't supposed to close. A meet and greet village was supposed to have been built on the 20K site (where SDMT is now). With the addition of The Little Mermaid ride, Fantasyland would've lost nothing, and instead gained a meet and greet and one ride, and more. However, some smart guy convinced the exec in charge (I think it was Staggs fresh in his new seat) to change the plans and have SDMT built where the m&g was going to go. SDMT only got approved and added to the plans under the condition that SWSA would close. No net gain or loss of rides there. I would've liked if both could've coexisted, especially because SWSA would've been a better option to convert to a Frozen ride. But in the end, MK's fantasyland did not lose a ride, it actually gained one and that's what justified SWSA's closure.

What I'm trying to point out is that the issue does not have anything to do with space. It has everything to do with money. The m&g could've been built somewhere else, they have the room. But SWSA was gutted primarily to save on operational costs. It also has to do with Disney's perception of DL fans vs. WDW fans, and the fact that the execs do care more about Disneyland since they live next door. But it is absolutely not an issue of finding space, and it's not weird. It's just unfortunate.

betty rose

I am not surprised by this at all. I was having a conversation with some coworkers who enjoy Disney vacations. We all agreed that it's just too overpriced for families.

We had a small vaca budget this year and are opting to do a quick beach trip to Fort Lauderdale. If we had really wanted to stretch it, we could have done Disney, but we feel outpriced. I had never before considered going to Florida without seeing Disney, but sadly my family just can't justify it. Instead we'll save for a few years so we can do a proper Orlando trip and venture outside Disney, especially to Harry Potter world. So Disney won't be having our $$ for a few years now.
We are going to the DVC, but will eat in the room, and go to Universal for meals. Disney is charging crazy prices.

brb1006

Beast just got a new look which can currently be found at DCL. His new look will later show up at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
image-jpeg.142885

Mike S

Too each their own...:rolleyes: Like I said, I don't cream myself over new rides. I'm fine with these low key entertainment enhances because they're desperately needed. I'll continue to be optimistic...
Rivers of Light and Star Wars are what I'm looking forward to the most. The Tree of Life Awakenings and Night Safaris will be cool too but that's pretty much it as far as my excitement for "Summer Awakens." Never really cared for the Castle shows. Best thing about those is a little less people in line so I guess a new one will help with that ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom