A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry but on #1 just not the case, Disney's MOST valuable property ESPN is ranked in order of desirabilty in an unbundled package behind the weather channel and it just barely makes it into the top 20, The same study showed that people are also willing to pay no more than $8.00/Mo for ESPN and all associated ESPN products.
Source?

RSoxNo1

Corless is saying that Disneyland's Digital Fastpass system begins in November. I know MiceChat has been talking about this for a while now.

Mike S

No arguments there, but it's really disappointing when the potential to do what the NX is going to do has already been in consumers hands, or pockets, for years.

It's a real pity that Google hasn't been able to foster a steam-like level of success and interest for android-based gaming because the potential is absolutely there.

Cardboard, in particular, is a tragically underused platform. For well less than $50 any Android user can get their hands on a decent VR mask, Bluetooth headphones, and a Bluetooth controller- all the rest of the hardware, including probably some sort of HDMI-out capability, is already on the phone.

"QVR" is a wonderful proof of concept for the sorts of games that should already be popular.
It could be as simple as putting the right people behind it to sell the idea to the public. NVIDIA released the SHEILD as this kind of device but it didn't take off. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that the SHEILD 2's cancellation had something to do with being approached by Nintendo.
my understanding also is they will be fully backward compatible. Including you will be able to play your DS, 3DS and gameboy games as well as Wii and Wii U games. Allowing for disc and cartridge ability.
No BC.
http://neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=220980184&postcount=1
The Switch's dock does not provide extra graphical power to the console, only tv output and charging. That seems like a missed opportunity.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power
One person who leaked the NS has said today that it does have extra power but I guess we have to wait on that like always.
Agreed. There is still a lot we don't know about this whole unit. But it feels like Nintendo may be onto something, it looks like they took a look at their hardcore older 3DS/Wii U audience and made a console for them. That is a big enough piece of the pie to sustain Nintendo for awhile.

Doesn't look like the Switch tablet has a camera though...so that seems like a missed opportunity...unless there is another handheld coming from Nintendo as well.
I would be shocked if there's another handheld that's not just a revision of the NS.
The Switch is the answer to this problem though.

The two problems are the time and costs it takes to develop a title. The disease that has been plaguing the gaming industry is that the reach of developers has always exceeded their grasp. Games are still made under the "box art" mentality, that's been around since the Atari 2600 days, that means graphics take priority over all and if it doesn't look pretty in a still photo - it's hard to sell to consumers. Granted, that issue is even worse these days because of the ease of access to videos of games in motion; but, the case is still as always - graphics sell.

While this was always a problem in the raster graphics days when the tech was always expanding to push more sprites and colors around the screen at increased resolution, the move in the 90's to 3D polygonal based graphics started the industry down a dangerous path. Technology is increasing a faster rate than the art of game development can keep up.

Developers still haven't gotten ahead of the curve for developing games at 1080 and now the consumer bar is being pushed even further out to 4k resolutions. The time and costs to develop in the HD era was already causing the "middle ground" of development to be lost. Games are increasingly smaller in size, length, and complexity or vastly over budget and delayed. This has lead to the proliferation of small "indie" titles that can take risks and "big budget tentpole" games. *Does this sound similar to Hollywood to anyone?

Nintendo recognized the path the industry was on when they went blue ocean with the Wii and with the Switch, they are finally going to be completely in smooth sailing waters of their own control.

For the first time since the NES, all of Nintendo's development resources are focused on the same platform. While they may want to dodge the questions about if the 3DS is end of life (it is), the fact remains that from this point forward - Nintendo will be working on a unified platform. It isn't just for this generation either. The Switch is a complete switch of methodology going forward because of the architecture employed. They've switched over to using a SoC (system on a chip) platform that means all of their games hook into "software" running on the hardware. From this point forward, Nintendo platforms will simply be "more" processing via a different SoC. I know that many, many "ports" are being made right now of the various Nintendo hardware lines, so there should be a very healthy virtual console forthcoming. The fact that the Switch isn't attempting to push the envelope from a graphics technology perspective will significantly speed up development.

So, the future is bright for the big N.

Nintendo systems have always been fundamentally about playing Nintendo games. 3rd party support is great; but, a steady stream of internal content is just what the doctor ordered. They should be able to keep the console deep in titles on their own. Just the thought of all of EAD working on a single platform brings back the halcyon days of the NES. It won't just be about the old favorites returning - they can now take more risks as well in developing new titles.

Should be fun and that's more than enough for me.
While there's always been a PlayStation in my house and I've always had a fondness for them* I do believe Sony and Microsoft are starting to go for too much blood with the PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio. We barely have 1080p at 60fps and now we're pushing towards a pseudo-4K? To me that's an even bigger gimmick than the Wii U GamePad was. I keep reading some people say that they're pushing too much to be like PC and I think that's right. I'm not saying they're doomed but it is a trend. Right now the NS trailer is pushing towards 11 million views on YouTube and is still the #1 trending video from yesterday so it seems to be taking off. It's clear from that trailer that this console is all about fun first and foremost.

About games don't forget about the smaller Japanese studios that'll be all over this thing.

*Totally looking forward to Crash Bandicoot Remastered

AEfx

The Switch is the answer to this problem though.

I'm sure it will do fine, but it's just not for me. There just isn't a reason for me to buy one just to play new Zelda and Mario games which is all I'd be interested in anyway. I have not been happy with the directions they have taken those franchises lately enough to feel I must be there to play whatever brand new versions and remakes they do.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the system (they took the feedback of "we like off TV play" from Wii U). However, that said - I wouldn't count out 3DS yet. 3DS are personal systems. I don't see families (many of which I know who play DS) having multiple of these consoles all lined up unless they somehow are under $200. Not to mention the durability factor. Notice how there are no kids in the trailer? I don't think you can count out the DS line quite yet.

AEfx

I've read that the new card is a different size and longer than DS/3DS carts so they can't even fit in the new slot at all.

Yes, and the new chip architecture supposedly will mean no Wii U compatibility so I'm out.

That said, looks like they are already on the remake bandwagon - supposedly the Mario Kart shown in the trailer is indeed a port of the Wii U version with the DLC and a few features included. So they won't be compatible with the new console but they can port titles.

I think that's kind of why I'm done. Or at least another nail in it. I'm sick and tired of paying and repaying for the same games and the new versions of things that come out (like Mario Party, Paper Mario) pale in comparison to the earlier incarnations. It's like they intentionally take the most fun aspects away from new games, or they want you to perpetually keep buying old games.

DinoInstitute

I think that's kind of why I'm done. Or at least another nail in it. I'm sick and tired of paying and repaying for the same games and the new versions of things that come out (like Mario Party, Paper Mario) pale in comparison to the earlier incarnations. It's like they intentionally take the most fun aspects away from new games, or they want you to perpetually keep buying old games.
I still play Mario Party 6 and 7 on my GameCube :p :D

Best versions by far:cool:

rael ramone

Message #6670 he linked to the source that said TWC is more desired then ESPN.

The $8 he mentions is likely talking about the BTIG research published a while back.

And ESPN brings home a lot of the bacon. Reduced margins from 'The Worldwide Leader' will hurt.

If there is a silver lining for management - I believe the talk is about the NFL being down - I haven't seen anything about College Football ratings - and that's where their bread gets buttered. (And a lower ratings become the 'new normal', that slightly increases their chances of getting a better deal the next time rights come up - providing of course they don't bid against themselves and overpay).

Mike S

Yes, and the new chip architecture supposedly will mean no Wii U compatibility so I'm out.

That said, looks like they are already on the remake bandwagon - supposedly the Mario Kart shown in the trailer is indeed a port of the Wii U version with the DLC and a few features included. So they won't be compatible with the new console but they can port titles.

One could argue that the Wii U games are there to beef up the launch library and make them available to people who didn't have a Wii U which admittedly is a lot of people. Even though I have a Wii U I never bought Splatoon so it could be cool to be able to play it on NS. What's happening with Zelda Breath of the Wild is the same thing that happened with Twilight Princess and it looks like a great new direction for the series. Mario Kart is iffy since I do already have it. The 3D Mario at least looks like a new game. Nintendo also isn't the only one that does this kind of thing. Plenty of remasters of last gen games have come out for the PS4 and XB1. Unless you're talking about Virtual Console again.

Bairstow

One could argue that the Wii U games are there to beef up the launch library and make them available to people who didn't have a Wii U which admittedly is a lot of people. Even though I have a Wii U I never bought Splatoon so it could be cool to be able to play it on NS. What's happening with Zelda Breath of the Wild is the same thing that happened with Twilight Princess and it looks like a great new direction for the series. Mario Kart is iffy since I do already have it. The 3D Mario at least looks like a new game. Nintendo also isn't the only one that does this kind of thing. Plenty of remasters of last gen games have come out for the PS4 and XB1. Unless you're talking about Virtual Console again.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of Nintendo's faithful customers skipped the Wii U altogether.
I imagine it's not an insignificant number.

Also, I think it's really smart of Nintendo not to show any kids playing the system in the launch trailer. The irony of selling consumer technology these days is that the youth market is going to be more drawn to the product itself and it's the adult market (or at least the parents of the target market) that needs to be shown the "lifestyle" aspect of the device.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It would be interesting to know what percentage of Nintendo's faithful customers skipped the Wii U altogether.
I imagine it's not an insignificant number.

Also, I think it's really smart of Nintendo not to show any kids playing the system in the launch trailer. The irony of selling consumer technology these days is that the youth market is going to be more drawn to the product itself and it's the adult market (or at least the parents of the target market) that needs to be shown the "lifestyle" aspect of the device.

I have a lifelong friend who has been a big fan of Nintendo since I can remember...I asked him today what he thought of the Switch.

His response was, "Definitely a cool concept, but I just don't have any faith in Nintendo anymore."

Bairstow

I have a lifelong friend who has been a big fan of Nintendo since I can remember...I asked him today what he thought of the Switch.

His response was, "Definitely a cool concept, but I just don't have any faith in Nintendo anymore."
Any idea what he was basing that on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom