A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

csmat99

Are you intentionally ignoring Pixar's sudden love of sequels? The very thing Disney was hell bent on continuing with or without Pixar.
There is nothing wrong with Pixar doing sequels regardless of who is the one pushing it. Because Pixar's track records of having original quality stories in their sequels can't be debated. Toy Story 3 I must offer was better than Toy Story. It's when sequels just become a money grab and they hire some cheap young director and replace half the cast is where sequels get their bad name. No one was complaining about Godfather 2. Now Disney animated movies that have had sequels haven't fared that well.

BrianLo

Yes, is it supposed to take the place of a new console, or is this just the next gen of the game boy?

The inevitable goal is for it to be both, condensing both product lines into one. 3DS will do what other healthy systems have done near the end of life: continue to add content and slowly fade into the sunset. Wii U will do the unhealthy system thing: being wiped nearly immediately from memory.

Nintendo is all well and good splitting its development between two successful systems, but they've learned they cannot be a sole source of content if one of those is a dud. If they focus all efforts on one system, even if third parties fail to show initially, there will be a much more consistent first party support model.

I'd be shocked if they did not consider this a natural DS successor and there is no way a few years from now a nearly decade old handheld will be relevant.

Mike S

The Switch looks interesting, but it really just looks like a more expensive, less ergonomic version of what a lot of people have been doing with their androids for years.

moga-pro-controller.jpg
Yeah but, here's the thing.

Those games suck ;) Motion controls and touch screens were around before the Wii and DS too. Not saying this will be as successful as those, just that the general idea being done before doesn't prevent success.
Yes, is it supposed to take the place of a new console, or is this just the next gen of the game boy?
The inevitable goal is for it to be both, condensing both product lines into one. 3DS will do what other healthy systems have done near the end of life: continue to add content and slowly fade into the sunset. Wii U will do the unhealthy system thing: being wiped nearly immediately from memory.

Nintendo is all well and good splitting its development between two successful systems, but they've learned they cannot be a sole source of content if one of those is a dud. If they focus all efforts on one system, even if third parties fail to show initially, there will be a much more consistent first party support model.

I'd be shocked if they did not consider this a natural DS successor and there is no way a few years from now a nearly decade old handheld will be relevant.
^ What he said.

This is pretty much a dream Nintendo console. I stopped playing it myself but can you imagine a full on HD Pokémon you can play on the TV and on the go? Talk about a system seller. The writing has been on the wall for a while now. Why else do you think Smash Bros. released on both Wii U and 3DS and all the other games that were put on both? Nintendo is evolving. Games on mobile, movies, theme parks, etc. Eventually it could reach the point where they don't need to rely on system sales to make or break them.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There is nothing wrong with Pixar doing sequels regardless of who is the one pushing it. Because Pixar's track records of having original quality stories in their sequels can't be debated. Toy Story 3 I must offer was better than Toy Story. It's when sequels just become a money grab and they hire some cheap young director and replace half the cast is where sequels get their bad name. No one was complaining about Godfather 2. Now Disney animated movies that have had sequels haven't fared that well.

Mainly because Disney 'sequels' have been cheap 'Direct to DVD/Digital' money grabs.

Bairstow

Those games suck ;) Motion controls and touch screens were around before the Wii and DS too. Not saying this will be as successful as those, just that the general idea being done before doesn't prevent success.

No arguments there, but it's really disappointing when the potential to do what the NX is going to do has already been in consumers hands, or pockets, for years.

It's a real pity that Google hasn't been able to foster a steam-like level of success and interest for android-based gaming because the potential is absolutely there.

Cardboard, in particular, is a tragically underused platform. For well less than $50 any Android user can get their hands on a decent VR mask, Bluetooth headphones, and a Bluetooth controller- all the rest of the hardware, including probably some sort of HDMI-out capability, is already on the phone.

"QVR" is a wonderful proof of concept for the sorts of games that should already be popular.

Phicinfan

^ What he said.

This is pretty much a dream Nintendo console. I stopped playing it myself but can you imagine a full on HD Pokémon you can play on the TV and on the go? Talk about a system seller. The writing has been on the wall for a while now. Why else do you think Smash Bros. released on both Wii U and 3DS and all the other games that were put on both? Nintendo is evolving. Games on mobile, movies, theme parks, etc. Eventually it could reach the point where they don't need to rely on system sales to make or break them.
my understanding also is they will be fully backward compatible. Including you will be able to play your DS, 3DS and gameboy games as well as Wii and Wii U games. Allowing for disc and cartridge ability.

Bairstow

my understanding also is they will be fully backward compatible. Including you will be able to play your DS, 3DS and gameboy games as well as Wii and Wii U games. Allowing for disc and cartridge ability.

Surely there's not a disc reader on the core hardware itself. Part of the docking station, maybe, or an optional peripheral? I could certainly see it being compatible with everything now in the virtual console and store, assuming no licensing problems.

rael ramone

Seeking Alpha posts are not much better than opinion blogs. They stumble on good points, but rarely include any real analysis or facts.

But also, they are SWIMMING with Pixie Dusters, both the articles, and especially the readership.... One reader called something negative (don't recall if it was an article or post) 'offensive', just for the simple reason that it wasn't swimming with reverence to $DIS.

Bairstow

Phicinfan

Surely there's not a disc reader on the core hardware itself. Part of the docking station, maybe, or an optional peripheral? I could certainly see it being compatible with everything now in the virtual console and store, assuming no licensing problems.
my understanding is it is in the core, and the "docking station" is just for power and link to TV

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom