A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

FigmentJedi

Holy crap, Disney's greenlighting something that isn't a remake of one of their animated films!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/don-quixote-movie-works-at-938175

Disney is looking to go on a quest with Don Quixote.

The studio is developing an adaptation of the classic Spanish novel about a man who believes he is a knight, with Gordon Gray and Billy Ray producing. Ray, whose credits include The Hunger Games and Captain Phillips, is also writing the script.

Written by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra and first published in 1605, the story told of a lower-class aristocrat named Alanso Quixano who, after reading too many novels about chivalry, loses his sanity and comes to believe that knights, maidens and dragons exist for real.

Making a portly neighbor his squire, the man refashions himself a knight named Don Quixote and sets off on a quest for adventure. Innkeepers become lords, windmills become dragons, and peasant girls become ladies-in-waiting to him as he and his servant find themselves in situations that are often comical, disastrous, and violent.

Sources say the plan is to adapt the work in a tone the recalls the madcap and fantastical nature of Disney’sPirates of the Caribbean movies, which took a popular Disney theme park ride and married supernatural fantasy elements, creating a billion-dollar franchise in the process.

Gray has a long history with Disney, making his name as a producer on inspirational sports dramas ranging from 2002’s The Rookie to 2006’s Invincible to the recent McFarland USA and Million Dollar Arm.

Ray was nominated for an Oscar for his work on Captain Phillips. Among his other credits are the moviesShattered Glass and Flightplan, the thriller that starred Jodie Foster.
Still bitter about how we never got that animated version headed by the Brizzis.

Nmoody1

Hong Kong and Tokyo already have alot of stuff going on during Halloween season. I haven't even gotten started with Christmas. I guess Shanghai is currently the only Disney Theme Park not celebrating Halloween.

Actually shanghai start their (small) halloween celebrations today! It will be at Disneytown and includes a small show with Mickey and Minnie. There will be photo locations around DisneyTown. Also, on October 31st only there will be trick or treating. I think the idea is to not take away from the grand opening period, plus Disneytown tennant's are not happy with the lack of revenue (over promised to them) so disney has to be seen to be luring guests there. (As with the rrecentMid Autumn celebrations). I imagine Christmas will be fairly low key this year also.

the.dreamfinder

Actually shanghai start their (small) halloween celebrations today! It will be at Disneytown and includes a small show with Mickey and Minnie. There will be photo locations around DisneyTown. Also, on October 31st only there will be trick or treating. I think the idea is to not take away from the grand opening period, plus Disneytown tennant's are not happy with the lack of revenue (over promised to them) so disney has to be seen to be luring guests there. (As with the rrecentMid Autumn celebrations). I imagine Christmas will be fairly low key this year also.
Is the outlet mall on the other side of Wishing Star Lake proving to be more popular?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
you keep pushing this narrative...but with nothing to back it up.

You do know why StarWars was saddled with JarJar Binks do you not?, The suits found he tested well with children... Since the suits are firmly in control why is the concept that rewrites for making Rogue One more 'accessible' to the under 8 set so hard to grasp, From the press we KNOW what the Director wanted to make, we also know Iger hated the Directors cut of the movie and made 'changes'.

Just take a look at Lego Star Wars for how 'seriously' Disney takes Star Wars, Personally I like Palpatine as a demented CEO and Vader as one of Palpatine's yes men it's clear the producers don't take themselves seriously. The larger point that whole series is about selling TOYS.

To Disney Star Wars is merely a BRAND, It's not a cultural phenomenon and Disney is going to milk the brand and then throw it away when it's used up.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You do know why StarWars was saddled with JarJar Binks do you not?, The suits found he tested well with children.
And what the heck does that have to do with Disney at all?????????? They had nothing to do with Star Wars back then. So what elements in the preview do you think appeal to the under 8 crowd?? Please guide is with your wisdom.

rael ramone

Sorry, not good enough to support your Iger conspiracy theory about him "hating the directors cut and forcing changes".

On the Studios front, I am entertained everytime I hear how disappointed Iger has been with Rogue One and how much all of his changes (because he really didn't want a Star Wars movie that didn't feel like every other SW movie despite his claims to the contrary) and reshoots have cost.

Hula Popper

And what the heck does that have to do with Disney at all?????????? They had nothing to do with Star Wars back then. So what elements in the preview do you think appeal to the under 8 crowd?? Please guide is with your wisdom.

C'mon, keep up.

The Disney overlords had compromising pictures of George Lucas and Howard the Duck and forced him to create the Jar Jar Binks character using Goofy as the archetype knowing it would alienate the Star Wars fans and that George would then wither under the fans' criticism and decide to sell Lucasfilm to the Disney overlords so that they could further antagonize and alienate Star Wars fans by neutering Darth Vader through having him continue, as in the original movies, to fail to DESERVE to be considered the second most evil character in the galaxy by not committing violence on a grand scale.

Why's that so hard for you to understand?!?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom