A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

SorcererMC

Thanks for posting that because I was wondering why this was even a topic being discussed (again), or if it was just because of the new trailer being released, etc..

Edit: this was at @rael ramone but the quote isn't showing up for some reason. Also @Quinnmac000 .

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

and @WDW1974 post about it

It's nice to be missed. But life has been busy and chaotic and no real time to play, entertain and inform here of late.
On the Studios front, I am entertained everytime I hear how disappointed Iger has been with Rogue One and how much all of his changes (because he really didn't want a Star Wars movie that didn't feel like every other SW movie despite his claims to the contrary) and reshoots have cost.

And a live action Aladdin?!?! With no Robin Williams?!??! Do they have any creativity left and does it matter to the people in the fan community who are addicted to the BRAND? Nah ...

Finally, Pandora looks truly spectacular ... but making that one year deadline? ... How long has RoL been scheduled to open. Yeah, you may be looking at similar delays.

Oh wow, I gave more info than intended ... and why can't I get the Jackson 5's 'I Want You Back' out of my head these days? Guess I know how Michael Colglazier feels.

Hope to be with y'all as time permits shortly.

SorcererMC

LOL. A quote from an "anonymous" poster, someone who freely admits to having a personal agenda and axe to grind against Iger isn't exactly convincing, either. ;)
May not be convincing for you, but I think the info he posts is generally considered reliable, and I've discovered that to be the case when I've done my own research using openly available information.

AEfx

May not be convincing for you, but I think the info he posts is generally considered reliable, and I've discovered that to be the case when I've done my own research using openly available information.

Can you do that this time?

The reason I am asking about this is because someone posted what proved to be fanboy assumption regarding regularly schedule reshoots that were happening for the film. Because some folks don't understand the ways a modern "blockbuster" film are done, they erroneously speculated that "OMG SOMETHING IS WRONG!" which wasn't twisted into "Obviously Iger hated it and demanded they reshoot!" by those that like to blame everything directly on him. Even though in this case there was no "blame" to be had in the first place - the additional shooting had been scheduled long before any partial screening, the actors had it in their original schedules from the get go. Standard operating procedure.

SorcererMC

The reason I am asking about this is because someone posted what proved to be fanboy assumption regarding regularly schedule reshoots that were happening for the film. Because some folks don't understand the ways a modern "blockbuster" film are done, they erroneously speculated that "OMG SOMETHING IS WRONG!" which wasn't twisted into "Obviously Iger hated it and demanded they reshoot!" by those that like to blame everything directly on him. Even though in this case there was no "blame" to be had in the first place - the additional shooting had been scheduled long before any partial screening, the actors had it in their original schedules from the get go. Standard operating procedure.

Thanks for clarifying. Re: this SW reshoot issue my knowledge is admittedly limited b/c I don't care enough about it and I'd rather avoid spoilers. For the record, I don't take anything anyone says as gospel (which is why I do my own research). I'll update my post if I do find something apropos re: SW reshoot since it seems to be of interest. I think that reshoots are routinely built into the budget/timeframe, I thought this was about the content of those reshoots? In which case I would likely not find much info given the clampdown on leaking.

ETA: Nevermind. All I had to do was click on that link provided by @Quinnmac000 and that covers how The Hollywood Reporter had the story (from the slashfilm link):

Disney executives thought the film was “tonally off with what a ‘classic’ Star Wars movie should feel like.” This was a screening just for Disney executives and not for any general audiences just yet.​

Reportedly the tone of the Star Wars movie was more that of a traditional war drama, and the reshoots will attempt to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.” When we reported this news yesterday, we guessed that the tone might be a problem, mostly based on the somber first trailer, so it’s good to hear it’s not something more troublesome.​

Quinnmac000

However, you have to think about your bias. Everyone knows reshoots happen for every film, however someone on the crew would've had to leak to the press about the screening and Disney execs not liking it which wouldn't be shocking if they had a rated R film on their hands. I mean that is a reasonable assumption correct?

Disney has tried to make all their films family friendly. If Rogue one was too dark, they would lighten it up as they are trying to grow generations into Star Wars and if parents took their children to see it and it was extremely bloody and violent as it was suggested then it can be understand why the execs hated it.

Bairstow

What kind of "ideas" was it? you only complained about "perceptions" and "myths".

I'm back!
Not that anyone remembers this conversation anymore (something to do with Disney's current management somehow being less concerned with guest satisfaction than previous management) but I felt the need to say that people need to realize that in the last 30 years, the corporate culture hasn't changed NEARLY as much as the mechanisms to report to the average layperson about the attitude of the corporate culture.
Disney's current management, whatever you think of them, is subject to WAY more shareholder and public scrutiny than the guys who ran things in the '70s.

ie, in the '50s-'60s,, Walt Disney himself did an amazing job of using his company's various media platforms to extol the virtues of himself as a leader and visionary, intentionally creating a corporate cult of personality around himself that persist to this day. It was brilliant, but let us not conflate this brilliance with a genuine altruism for guest satisfaction.
In the '80s, the Walt Disney Company still did a commendable job at publicizing their own customer-service training as a kind of corporate propaganda (their keys of customer service mumbo-jumbo was widely distributed to various corporate training outlets), which obliquely served the dual purpose of communicating the effectiveness of their corporate leadership and their supposed dedication to guest satisfaction.

My point is this: never confuse Disney's past effectiveness at making you think that they actually care about your in-park experience with how they have ever, or still do, care about this.
Their goal, like any company's, has been, is, and always will be, to make money.
Anyone who begins to doubt this has my skepticism, "clever" Monsters Incorporated image macro or no.

disneyisbusiness_monstersinnc-jpg.167743

lazyboy97o

I'm back!
Not that anyone remembers this conversation anymore (something to do with Disney's current management somehow being less concerned with guest satisfaction than previous management) but I felt the need to say that people need to realize that in the last 30 years, the corporate culture hasn't changed NEARLY as much as the mechanisms to report to the average layperson about the attitude of the corporate culture.
Disney's current management, whatever you think of them, is subject to WAY more shareholder and public scrutiny than the guys who ran things in the '70s.

ie, in the '50s-'60s,, Walt Disney himself did an amazing job of using his company's various media platforms to extol the virtues of himself as a leader and visionary, intentionally creating a corporate cult of personality around himself that persist to this day. It was brilliant, but let us not conflate this brilliance with a genuine altruism for guest satisfaction.
In the '80s, the Walt Disney Company still did a commendable job at publicizing their own customer-service training as a kind of corporate propaganda (their keys of customer service mumbo-jumbo was widely distributed to various corporate training outlets), which obliquely served the dual purpose of communicating the effectiveness of their corporate leadership and their supposed dedication to guest satisfaction.

My point is this: never confuse Disney's past effectiveness at making you think that they actually care about your in-park experience with how they have ever, or still do, care about this.
Their goal, like any company's, has been, is, and always will be, to make money.
Anyone who begins to doubt this has my skepticism, "clever" Monsters Incorporated image macro or no.

You're completely ignoring that the business model of Disney's theme parks was changed in the 1990s.

Bairstow

You're completely ignoring that the business model of Disney's theme parks was changed in the 1990s.

I am.
Business models and the morality belying them are not the same thing.
The only reason Disney didn't charge that they did for their parks in the '70s as they do now is that they didn't know they could get away with it.

If they knew they could have, they would have.

Cesar R M

I'm back!

And to make a money, you need customers and an audience. If you're starting to lose customers.. you dont "cost cuts". You give more to make them return and think they have better value now.
That is the difference if now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Exactly and we are now seeing the final stages of what that business plan resulted in, The key of course is at one time WDW (and DL) were run as a INTEGRATED whole, Now all you have is a bunch of competing business units sharing one piece of real estate and they don't care if their actions damage other business units as long as they reach THEIR goals. Accordingly the guest experience suffers.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am.
The only reason Disney didn't charge that they did for their parks in the '70s as they do now is that they didn't know they could get away with it.

Yes they DID even back in the 50's Walt was complaining about 'The Sharp Pencil Boys' who wanted him to cut quality and maintenance to 'improve' profit margins. The reality is Walt's managers were nearly all gone when the 'Sharp Pencil Boys' took over.

rael ramone

Stepped into a Disney Store yesterday.

They were selling toys for Rogue One.

Toys that weren't meant for 13+.

Doesn't mean the film will end up being bad, but it wouldn't be the first film directed in it's content to sell toys, and we all know how Batman & Robin turned out...

lazyboy97o

I am.

A common end does not justify any means or make them all equivalent. It's this same dumb idea that a business model is a reflection of some sort of Platonic, deterministic, universal truth. That there is only true business model that everything must and does move towards.

The old business model was a specific differentiator from the rest of the industry. It was not instituted out of some bizarre fear.

Mike S

Did you ever stop and think that maybe you know this anecdote because they wanted you to know this anecdote?
Actions speak louder than words. If Iger today said that same statement I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Walt's actions during the first 11 years of Disneyland's operation while he was alive make that statement from him very believable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom