A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

The_Jobu

180,000 USD.. o_o

I wonder what the royal version would cost.. 1 million? (the one with horses, fireworks and everything).

I can't help but think of this...

230112.gif

AEfx

180,000 USD.. o_o

I wonder what the royal version would cost.. 1 million? (the one with horses, fireworks and everything).

Crazy as it sounds, that's not crazy for a wedding (depending on what it includes). I know upper middle class people who pay $100k for a backyard wedding.

It's insane, but you would be surprised on how much people spend on their "special day". Makes me puke personally, LOL, but it's not out of line for what some of these people are willing to pay.

Figments Friend

The Disney executives who ran Parks & Resorts during the 1970s and 1980s had a radically different view of the business and their Guests than Disney's current management.

To suggest otherwise is a disservice to those whose love for the business ultimately cost them their jobs.

This.
So much this.

Had to 'quote' so this would be re-read.
Nails the defining principle that has lead to the issues many have with today's 'Disney'.

It hurts to see what has taken place over the last few years, as I personally know a few of those people who's 'love for the business ultimately cost them their jobs'.
Not to mention, a piece of their soul as well.

:(

-

brb1006

View attachment 168808 I can't remember what thread it was, but I think it was this one. Someone asked why WDWs characters can't be in Halloween costumes all season like DLs. This is why, so they can make an ad like this and use it as a ploy to sell more tickets.
Then there's Disneyland Paris where not only can you find Mickey and friends in Halloween it holiday attire. But this includes other Disney characters same goes for Tokyo.

Magenta Panther

I dont think Walt would have run to the hottest IP to purchase and instantly put it in the park to sell tshirts.
Thats the comparison we're seeing today.

And that's the difference that, sadly, some will never grasp. They can't tell the difference between artistry and acquisition. They really believe that Walt's development of stories like Snow White and Pinocchio is exactly the same as Robert Iger buying Marvel. What you stated has no doubt gone over the heads of some, but those of us here who truly understand the Disney difference appreciate your comment. :)

solidyne

Don't kid yourself. I've been a Madonna fan for 30 years and even I will freely admit she travels with a state of the art computer and technicians that filter every once that comes out of her mouth on stage. Evita was also entirely transposed musically into her vocal range (although that was an artistic benefit for making the entire project more accessible, as anyone who listens to a Broadway recording can tell you that the part was written so high as to be shrieking and unpleasant to listen to; this is one reason the recent revival failed, in its original form, it's simply not enjoyable to listen to in many cases).
I know. That's why I said she uses pitch correction ("AutoTune"). Swift just uses more. And I've been a Madonna fan for 33 years, since I heard "Holiday" on Miami's Y-100!

Disorbust

The Westworld/Disney connection.....

Author and film director Michael Crichton was inspired to create Westworld after visiting Disneyland and going on the ride “The Pirates of the Caribbean,” where he saw the animatronic pirate characters and thought to himself “What would happen if these animatronic creations ran amok?” Sitting down at his typewriter, Michael Crichton swapped out pirates for cowboys in an Old West themed amusement park, and the rest is history. Although Michael Crichton has said in interviews he was worried for years after the 1973 movie came out that Disney would sue him over the concept for Westworld. Fortunately, that never happened as the western theme in the movie was just far enough removed from the Pirates of the Caribbean to avoid any outright comparisons to the Disney attraction.

Mike S

Author and film director Michael Crichton was inspired to create Westworld after visiting Disneyland and going on the ride “The Pirates of the Caribbean,” where he saw the animatronic pirate characters and thought to himself “What would happen if these animatronic creations ran amok?” Sitting down at his typewriter, Michael Crichton swapped out pirates for cowboys in an Old West themed amusement park, and the rest is history. Although Michael Crichton has said in interviews he was worried for years after the 1973 movie came out that Disney would sue him over the concept for Westworld. Fortunately, that never happened as the western theme in the movie was just far enough removed from the Pirates of the Caribbean to avoid any outright comparisons to the Disney attraction.
Wow, I never knew he wrote it but now it all makes sense. That's why PotC is mentioned in Jurassic Park!!!

The_Jobu

It's a good thing he saw the original PotC and not the current one...

NearTheEars

And that's the difference that, sadly, some will never grasp. They can't tell the difference between artistry and acquisition. They really believe that Walt's development of stories like Snow White and Pinocchio is exactly the same as Robert Iger buying Marvel. What you stated has no doubt gone over the heads of some, but those of us here who truly understand the Disney difference appreciate your comment. :)

The only way a modern acquisition could come close is if they were to take those marvel characters and use them in nearly original films. Have they done that already? I don't know because I've never read a single comic in my life.

Nmoody1

Then there's Disneyland Paris where not only can you find Mickey and friends in Halloween it holiday attire. But this includes other Disney characters same goes for Tokyo.

Currently in HK - included in a regular days ticket:

Halloween decorations/music on Main Street

Mickey Minnie/Donald daisy/chip dale/goofy Pluto/Duffy Gelatoni meet and greets in halloween costume

Villain meet and greet in the evening alternating with queen of hearts/cruelly, oogie boogie/jack, big bad wolf/captain hook

Halloween decorations in Toy Story Land

Fantastic 'nightmare experiment' haunted walk through

Trick or treat locations in Adventure Land and with some meet n greets

Video posts themed to villains around the park - a virtual reality type experience

Kids fancy dress costume party

Daytime halloween Cavalcade

Nighttime villain cavalcade with castle projection show and show stop.

Main Street projections at park closing

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I see Robert Niles has completed his transition into a condescending BRAND advocate in the mold of Jim Hill and Mark Eades.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-731957-fans-passion.html
Good to see the old, "Disney is business" mantra going mainstream, lol. The article aimed to make any dissidence by loyal guests appear to be nothing more than angry old people who dont want change or new attractions. What a joke.

It echoed the same tired statements we see here by brand defenders whose responses are usually nothing more than an ad hominem, straw man, or tu quoque fallacy, or in some instances, a combination of all three.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom