A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

VJ

Gotta love it. The Shanghai cuts have showed Disney that it's okay to cut things and the cuts continue both in WDW and Disneyland. Sad, sad times ahead for us fans says I.

NearTheEars

Seems very cheap - actually smacks of desperation.

edited to fix Siri's changes

So are all movies played on cable TV there because of acts of desperation? These channels need content. Why is this contract any different? Is WBs desperate for broadcasting all those Harry Potter Weekends? Or do they get a pass?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So are all movies played on cable TV there because of acts of desperation? These channels need content. Why is this contract any different? Is WBs desperate for broadcasting all those Harry Potter Weekends? Or do they get a pass?

It's the VALUE of the deal which smacks of desperation not the deal itself as internet distribution IS the wave of the future, 25 Mil per year for the crown jewels of Disney's film catalog is pretty cheap money.

And yet this is the SAME Disney company which paid 4 Billion dollars for a poor NFL package which did not even include a single Superbowl.

Looks like Disney 'Needs Cash Now' and sold the distribution rights for far less than they were worth.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Unrelated but apparently tonight was the first night they didn't turn on the Hollywood Tower Hotel light sign at DCA. Word is the sign is coming down soon...The whole thing is still such a horrible, horrible decision.
At DCA it was never themed sufficiently or in the right location to call it "Hollywood Tower Hotel" to begin with. It is shoehorned between Bugs Land and the Monsters-Hollywood-Mad T Party Mess Land. As far as theme goes, I'd call it "Let's-Stick-It-Here-Land". So no reason to bemoan it's loss. Hopefully Marvel coherence will prevail.

VulcanCafe

It's the VALUE of the deal which smacks of desperation not the deal itself as internet distribution IS the wave of the future, 25 Mil per year for the crown jewels of Disney's film catalog is pretty cheap money.

And yet this is the SAME Disney company which paid 4 Billion dollars for a poor NFL package which did not even include a single Superbowl.

Looks like Disney 'Needs Cash Now' and sold the distribution rights for far less than they were worth.

This money is IN ADDITION to the Netflix deal. $25m/year for TV and advertising based streaming seems like a decent deal on top of the $300 million per year Netflix deal (since streaming is the future). Source: CNBC and Forbes

the.dreamfinder

This money is IN ADDITION to the Netflix deal. $25m/year for TV and advertising based streaming seems like a decent deal on top of the $300 million per year Netflix deal (since streaming is the future). Source: CNBC and Forbes
Boys and girls, I give you the pay window system.
  1. Theatrical Release
  2. Home Entertainment
  3. Premium Cable/Pay TV/Streaming
  4. Basic Cable
  5. Broadcast Television

doctornick

At DCA it was never themed sufficiently or in the right location to call it "Hollywood Tower Hotel" to begin with. It is shoehorned between Bugs Land and the Monsters-Hollywood-Mad T Party Mess Land. As far as theme goes, I'd call it "Let's-Stick-It-Here-Land". So no reason to bemoan it's loss. Hopefully Marvel coherence will prevail.

That's always been my point with replacing it. At long as the replacement is still a quality attraction (and it can/should be), it will potentially be a better overall theme by being part of a greater Marvel land. In DCA, ToT is just kinda there, in a side street, not really part of the greater Hollywoodland area.

Mike S

That's always been my point with replacing it. At long as the replacement is still a quality attraction (and it can/should be), it will potentially be a better overall theme by being part of a greater Marvel land. In DCA, ToT is just kinda there, in a side street, not really part of the greater Hollywoodland area.
Then why not make Hollywood Land better rather than diluting the park after all the previous work done in areas like Paradise Pier and Grizzly Peak?

This eyesore is going to be visible from all over.

Andrew_Ryan

They just tied it in fairly well with the Buena Vista Street revamp, specifically with the red car trolley. I'm having a hard time envisioning how turning it into a sci-fi space building will make the area any more coherent than it currently is.

No ToT clone in the first place > ToT as is > GotG

Cosmic Commando

Maybe I misunderstood somewhere, but I always thought that the Hollywood Tower Hotel was abandoned after the original "incident" in 1939, and the guests are touring it as it's about to be renovated? The story could be set any time after 1939, so I never thought it was incongruent with the more modern Hollywood stuff in DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom