A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

brb1006

Tokyo no question, no question at all. There's more to do than the others, Shanghai will be crowded and suffering teething problems, and with Tokyo you get transported back to the Disney of Walt's era, it has to be seen to be believed.
I really love how Tokyo is able to change parades during certain holidays of the year and then there's Dreamlights.

BernardandBianca

Tokyo is the gold standard, so it should be the top choice. Usually adding Hong Kong or Shanghai (or both) to your airline ticket will be a minimal price difference - might be worth looking to hitting more than one resort since you're flying all the way over there.

Or you can do as we just did - book a cruise from Shanghai to Tokyo with a stopover in Hong Kong. We just booked this for 2018 (not taking any chances), and are planning to do extra days at both ends to partake in Disney Shanghai and TDS.

Donaldfan1934

And the first ride pov video just got uploaded from tonights soft opening. I'm going to mark this video as a spoiler for those that prefer to wait until they finally ride it but the guests really loves it judging by the reactions.

Well looks like all the people who were insisting that this wasn't going to be yet another Universal Screentacular and filled to the brim with Animatronics instead have been proven wrong. Also, didn't they say a few days ago that there were going to be real actors jumping out and scaring people? Where the hell were they? Were they in the queue or something else unrecorded?

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Well looks like all the people who were insisting that this wasn't going to be yet another Universal Screentacular and filled to the brim with Animatronics instead have been proven wrong.

Who was insisting that? It's been common knowledge for months that there would be screen scenes and a giant Kong AA at the end. No surprises here.

Donaldfan1934

Who was insisting that? It's been common knowledge for months that there would be screen scenes and a giant Kong AA at the end. No surprises here.
I know that, but I heard a bunch of talk that there was going to be a lot more than that. As if there was going to be a proper balance between practical effects and screens. They were saying that the ride was going to be a lot more than just the tram tour film with a few extra scenes. People kept talking about this ride like it was something unprecedented for them when it ended up being very precedented. How many times can Universal pull the same tired tricks before fanbois sober up from the butter beer and realize that most of their headliner attractions are all kinda interchangeable?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know that, but I heard a bunch of talk that there was going to be a lot more than that. As if there was going to be a proper balance between practical effects and screens. They were saying that the ride was going to be a lot more than just the tram tour film with a few extra scenes. People kept talking about this ride like it was something unprecedented for them when it ended up being very precedented. How many times can Universal keep using the same tired tricks before fans sober up from the butter beer and realize that most of their headliner attractions are all kinda interchangeable?
Who cares as long as the ride is fun?

doctornick

Not gonna speak about Kong without first hand experience, but I do think there is some validity to the point that many of the rides at Universal are similar in structure and execution. Individually, they tend to be great, but it does get a repetitive over the course of a day. More variety among the types of experiences would be good.

(To bring it back to Disney, I think that was a problem with classic Epcot as well where the rides largely were similar.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not gonna speak about Kong without first hand experience, but I do think there is some validity to the point that many of the rides at Universal are similar in structure and execution. Individually, they tend to be great, but it does get a repetitive over the course of a day. More variety among the types of experiences would be good.

(To bring it back to Disney, I think that was a problem with classic Epcot as well where the rides largely were similar.)
I guess I can see the point, but I never had an issue with classic EPCOT either. The ride systems were similar but the rides themselves were not the same.

Donaldfan1934

Good then. I'm not stopping you from having fun and I hope you do. But it just seems like the theme park fanboy conception of modern Universal being beyond reproach just because of the WWoHP is deeply flawed. While most of us here agree that modern Disney has its fair share of flaws, but you cannot say that every new attraction that they build is a very similar type of experience to their previous.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Thank you for backing me up here. If more theme park fans took this into account before they decide to go declare an attraction that hasn't even opened yet a groundbreaking revolution then maybe we could bring the fandom a little bit back down to earth.

Last edited:

Rteetz

Well looks like all the people who were insisting that this wasn't going to be yet another Universal Screentacular and filled to the brim with Animatronics instead have been proven wrong. Also, didn't they say a few days ago that there were going to be real actors jumping out and scaring people? Where the hell were they? Were they in the queue or something else unrecorded?
They were in the queue and there was only one of them. The queue also has a nice animatronic.

BrianLo

Variety is the spice of life. A slow moving dark/screen hybrid does provide actual variety when it is wedged between two water rides. The LPS tram is fairly unique in terms of the greater resort menu as well.

Kong isn't completely breaking UC's bag of tricks, but I see no real issues with it. It's USO with the forthcoming 2017 attractions where the wheels actually fall off and the criticsm is deserved.

I finally rode the real tram tour today. The Kong portion was quite enjoyable, Fast and Furious was phoned in garbage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom