A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Looking at the pictures online of DL just make me incredibly sad (sorry for those of you with BB-8 toys at home and those who fantasize about making love to Kylo Ren) to see just a huge swath of the park reduced to a giant pile of dirt that will be home of TWO whole attractions.

Just very sad to see.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We draw closer to SDL's opening and ... and ... I got nothing beyond seeing a much greater number of (how do I say this and not offend ... oh, I don't) white western faces in yesterday's opening team pics. My strong hunch, based on knowledge, is that a vast many of these folks have been added to the project in the last 6-9 months to get this place mostly ready to open.

I think a few analysts may have some comments on DIS in the near future that might make Bob Iger wish he could censor them as easily as bloggers and reporters.

yeti

How do the Disneyland hotels compare to the WDW Deluxes? I only walked around each of them briefly except for my actual stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge.*

*CM discount plus splitting the bill. I'm not a crazy person ;)

The Grand Californian is as nice as anything at WDW except for maybe the GF, WL and AKL. Obviously not as substantial as a WDW resort, but just as immersive overall, if that's what you mean. The integration with DTD and the park is great as well.

Disneyland Hotel looks great after the renovation, but it is what it is: a Disney hotel. It does have the better Enchanted Tiki Bar as compared to the Trader Sam's Broom Closet we just got. :rolleyes:

Paradise Pier is just ok but definitely has the room view to beat.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have been told that folks have said that I said UNI will announce its 3rd O-Town park by the end of this year.

NOT TRUE!

Want to make sure we clear the air on that. There will be announcements coming about major developments (mostly hotel and attractions, but one that may surprise) done the line. But any third gate announcement, just saying 'we intend to build', is likely a few YEARS away. I could see a 2018 or 2019 announcement with an opening sometime around 2022 or 2023.

UNI has lots of plans, but they haven't been stupid in any of their moves in the last 6-7 years now. A move of this magnitude requires vision, effort, finances are resources.

And in a few weeks, all talk about building a major new resort in China will start turning from DIS to UNI. That is the priority. The second priority is adding thousands of hotel rooms to their inventory. Sorry UNI Wand Wavers, but it isn't opening a third gate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm a fan of Depp and Burton but this movie was just all over the place. This helps explain it.
http://whatculture.com/film/alice-through-the-looking-glass-10-reasons-its-worse-than-the-original

To be fair, Burton was simply a producer on Alice The Second. I still haven't seen the film and not sure when I will.

But I think Disney simply has two many tent poles and they are willing to sacrifice 1-2 a year provided the others do very well. Their marketing efforts and interest on this remind me of last fall and The Good Dinosaur. They didn't care. They only cared about Star Wars. This film was stuck between Captain America and Finding Dory. Which of the three would you sacrifice?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sorry, but people who are upset over the loss of backstage areas and a frickin' petting zoo have something wrong with them.

I'm sorry that many fanbois who don't understand the history and ethos of DL, but think Star Wars is just way kewl, are justifying the wholesale destruction of area's Walt worked on for a fundamental change. A change without precedence.

Saying it's about backstage areas and a petting zoo is just ignorant.

Stripes

Premium Member
Only two rides though... two concrete, "not-going-anywhere-anytime-soon" rides...
on a huge parcel of land, when so much more could be built.
Okay, but that wasn't exactly his point was it? You also forget how large the show building for these rides are. They're massive, by far the largest dark ride show buildings in the US, and probably the world.

doctornick

Only two rides though... two concrete, "not-going-anywhere-anytime-soon" rides...
on a huge parcel of land, when so much more could be built.

If you are talking about the 14 acres specifically planned for Star Wars, okay. But the huge plot of dirk seen on DL aerials is not just for Star Wars -- a chunk is planned to be used in the future Fantasyland expansion (rumored for a Frozen ride) and part of it is for the new northern bend of the RoA, the new train pathway with berm and Fantasmic! storage. A good portion of the cleared land is not going towards Star Wars.

Now, whether there should be more attractions on the 14 acre property Star Wars is a different issue. I think it should probably have at least one more smaller scale ride in that and we still don't know what other "attractions" might be planned (e.g. shows). Also, to be fair to Disney, a major reason for how much land is planned for SW is because the First Order ride is supposed to have an absolutely massive show building so it seems like a big effort to wow with that attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom