A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Stripes

Premium Member
I'm sorry that many fanbois who don't understand the history and ethos of DL, but think Star Wars is just way kewl, are justifying the wholesale destruction of area's Walt worked on for a fundamental change. A change without precedence.

Saying it's about backstage areas and a petting zoo is just ignorant.
Yes, well DL doesn't have the luxury of space that WDW has, do they? If you're unhappy about Star Wars moving in, I can't convince you to change your mind, but the park has to continue to evolve and Big Thunder Ranch is the least precious land in all of DLR.

I doubt very much that Walt wouldn't have wanted this. But, obviously I can't read the mind of dead man, and neither can you.

yeti

Aren't the two Trader Sam's roughly the same size? Looking online, I see DL's has a capacity of 47 and WDW's has a capacity of 50.

We were all struck by how much smaller it felt. The bar is definitely cut down by a half....the rest of it, well they did away with tables and chairs and went for the lounge look, which means people who would normally be at the bar occupy a whole three person sofa to themselves. All I know is, we waited twenty minutes to be buzzed in, we muscled our way in...and there was nothing. It felt tiny and cramped, so we left. I'm sure the newness, popularity, and, ahem, particular clientele all factored into this...but even then, it just felt so much less substantial than the Disneyland one, which we regularly walked into with no wait. Could be the new layout - the seating is all in front of the bar, instead of around it. I don't know.

Mike S

I have been told that folks have said that I said UNI will announce its 3rd O-Town park by the end of this year.

NOT TRUE!

Want to make sure we clear the air on that. There will be announcements coming about major developments (mostly hotel and attractions, but one that may surprise) done the line. But any third gate announcement, just saying 'we intend to build', is likely a few YEARS away. I could see a 2018 or 2019 announcement with an opening sometime around 2022 or 2023.

UNI has lots of plans, but they haven't been stupid in any of their moves in the last 6-7 years now. A move of this magnitude requires vision, effort, finances are resources.

And in a few weeks, all talk about building a major new resort in China will start turning from DIS to UNI. That is the priority. The second priority is adding thousands of hotel rooms to their inventory. Sorry UNI Wand Wavers, but it isn't opening a third gate.
Perfectly reasonable timeframe for the third gate. 2021 would just be the perfect shot at Disney though :hilarious: As long as they're still building world class attractions in Orlando while they "focus" on Beijing I'll be happy. I have to admit though that I'm getting nervous for Fast & Furious. The more we glimpse of Kong the more I feel like this ride could feel like a stripped down version of what we're getting this summer. Fallon is a complete wild card for me though. I don't know what to think of that one yet. So far 2017 seems like the year for Pandora and Volcano Bay. I hope they surprise me.

FigmentJedi

The more we glimpse of Kong the more I feel like this ride could feel like a stripped down version of what we're getting this summer.
Eh, I'd say there's a world of difference between King Kong and Fast and the Furious in terms of scope and setting that makes a comparison seem inappropriate beyond them being expansions of Hollywood's new Tram Ride scenes. Unless if there's a 30 foot tall animatronic Vin Diesel they haven't yet revealed...

Mike S

Eh, I'd say there's a world of difference between King Kong and Fast and the Furious in terms of scope and setting that makes a comparison seem inappropriate beyond them being expansions of Hollywood's new Tram Ride scenes. Unless if there's a 30 foot tall animatronic Vin Diesel they haven't yet revealed...
From what I've been reading it doesn't sound like as much is going into this as what went into making Kong a full ride. Like I said I hope they can surprise me. Maybe what I'm feeling is nothing.

the.dreamfinder

Yes, well DL doesn't have the luxury of space that WDW has, do they? If you're unhappy about Star Wars moving in, I can't convince you to change your mind, but the park has to continue to evolve and Big Thunder Ranch is the least precious land in all of DLR.

I doubt very much that Walt wouldn't have wanted this. But, obviously I can't read the mind of dead man, and neither can you.
They have 90+ acres for a third gate (Toy Story Lot), they have room.

FigmentJedi

From what I've been reading it doesn't sound like as much is going into this as what went into making Kong a full ride. Like I said I hope they can surprise me. Maybe what I'm feeling is nothing.
Well Fast and the Furious isn't really about the setting. It's about the characters and driving really fast. They don't really have to design much of an exterior beyond "San Francisco warehouse" or whatever they're doing with it. I'm expecting something on the level of Transformers out of it but really I don't care about the property anyways. A fantasy setting like Skull Island on the other hand requires much more of a "Spared no Expense" attitude.

brb1006

I've honestly wondered how Eisner feels about DHS.

Missing the Madison fountain already... sigh.
This Madison fountain?
The-Mermaid-Fountain-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg

Cesar R M

There's a surprising amount of non-Chinese faces in those Cast Member crowd shots - implies that the wider Disney company is keeping a close eye on things for opening instead of just leaving it to the Chinese to figure out for themselves.
plot twist.. the majority of them are mommy bloggers or lifestylers who were "carried over".

brb1006

We draw closer to SDL's opening and ... and ... I got nothing beyond seeing a much greater number of (how do I say this and not offend ... oh, I don't) white western faces in yesterday's opening team pics. My strong hunch, based on knowledge, is that a vast many of these folks have been added to the project in the last 6-9 months to get this place mostly ready to open.

I think a few analysts may have some comments on DIS in the near future that might make Bob Iger wish he could censor them as easily as bloggers and reporters.
How many days left until the official opening?

Cesar R M

I heard about the "value of Disney VHS tapes" a few times before and then again this morning on the radio so I went searching and found this.
http://www.snopes.com/black-diamond-collection-disney/
If only people would look these kinds of things up before taking them as fact. I guess the idea of "get rich quick" is too strong.
I dont think its exclusively to Disney... the ones managing the TMNT account were saying about the value of old VHS and to post pictures of your "treasure trove"

Cesar R M

imagine that! a fourth diamond hotel in Disneyland.
How many diamonds do the Florida ones have?
1? half?

30 foot tall Vin Diesel animatronic.. reminds of Groot.. Vin Diesel only saying I am Groot.
:eek:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom