A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Cesar R M

To be fair, Burton was simply a producer on Alice The Second. I still haven't seen the film and not sure when I will.

But I think Disney simply has two many tent poles and they are willing to sacrifice 1-2 a year provided the others do very well. Their marketing efforts and interest on this remind me of last fall and The Good Dinosaur. They didn't care. They only cared about Star Wars. This film was stuck between Captain America and Finding Dory. Which of the three would you sacrifice?
The movie isnt that bad. But felt that it was "Alice has a problem that mirrors the Hatter, have tons of Johnny Depp stuff. The end!"
I liked the new TMNT movie better.

Mike S

Well Fast and the Furious isn't really about the setting. It's about the characters and driving really fast. They don't really have to design much of an exterior beyond "San Francisco warehouse" or whatever they're doing with it. I'm expecting something on the level of Transformers out of it but really I don't care about the property anyways. A fantasy setting like Skull Island on the other hand requires much more of a "Spared no Expense" attitude.
The facade will be the same one that's been there since the beginning for Earthquake and then Disaster! What I'm talking about is the interior. The ride. I hope the 360 segment is severely improved from Hollywoods version and I hope for plenty of other great additions. Maybe I'm just a guy who prefers the island setting and creatures. This feeling of doubt for F&F didn't really pop up until today though. I guess we'll see when it opens.

culturenthrills

I have been told that folks have said that I said UNI will announce its 3rd O-Town park by the end of this year.

NOT TRUE!

Want to make sure we clear the air on that. There will be announcements coming about major developments (mostly hotel and attractions, but one that may surprise) done the line. But any third gate announcement, just saying 'we intend to build', is likely a few YEARS away. I could see a 2018 or 2019 announcement with an opening sometime around 2022 or 2023.

UNI has lots of plans, but they haven't been stupid in any of their moves in the last 6-7 years now. A move of this magnitude requires vision, effort, finances are resources.

And in a few weeks, all talk about building a major new resort in China will start turning from DIS to UNI. That is the priority. The second priority is adding thousands of hotel rooms to their inventory. Sorry UNI Wand Wavers, but it isn't opening a third gate.

Yeah, they are just now working out the transportation/entertaiment district plans with Orange County. All that has to be in place before they will begin moving dirt on a third theme park. And with the slow pace local government moves its probably gonna take a year or two to hammer out whatever agreement they come to with the county.

culturenthrills

The facade will be the same one that's been there since the beginning for Earthquake and then Disaster! What I'm talking about is the interior. The ride. I hope the 360 segment is severely improved from Hollywoods version and I hope for plenty of other great additions. Maybe I'm just a guy who prefers the island setting and creatures. This feeling of doubt for F&F didn't really pop up until today though. I guess we'll see when it opens.

Yeah, I hope its a great attraction but I am not a fan of the F&F movies. But hey if its popular that means more rides for me on the other rides. Fallon is gonna be what it is. It would be nice if they made it where everytime it had different combitions of scenes so it would be more re rideable. Having two rides down has really made that park feel way more busy. I know they have added a bunch of street shows and additional M&G's but they really should have greenlit a new show to replace Fear Factor that might have eaten up some more of the crowds.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We all know you are not an insider. But you made a statement, several times in fact that contradicts the facts that have been previously stated publically by Disney and garner holt but you fail to provide any proof of your statements. It's a good excuse to say that the information is behind paywalls and you can't post it. But that's all it is, an excuse. I'll just add this to the ever growing list of "facts" you've made up and have no basis in reality except in your imagination.

Oh how about IEEE Spectrum, IEEE Robotics and Automation, ASME Mechanisms and Robotics, ASME Computing and Information Science in Engineering, MIT Technology Review, IEEE/ASME Mechatronics Transactions on, IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Journal. These are just a sampling of what shows up in my mailbox.

You'll find that Garner-Holt shows up in many of these publications as well as WDI - WDI recently had some articles on fluidic 'muscles'

These journals have equations rather than pictures so be prepared for a math heavy experience, If you have access to a college library you can get access, If not well that's why engineers pay the big bucks for memberships in IEEE/ASME so they can access these publications as the subgroups have fees over and above the basic membership which pay for their activities.

The techniques used in AA's have commercial applications beyond entertainment in theme parks. Which of course was another reason TWDC was stupid in outsourcing AA's because the patents which would have gone to WDI now of course will benefit Garner-Holt.

The first industrial robots used in Detroit were heavily influenced by Disney AA's especially the motion control programming systems for welding and paint application robots which before the days of machine vision were designed to mimic a human operator. So it can be fairly said that WDI actually provided the foundation for modern robotic production systems.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I need to try Disneyland's.

WDW's Trade Sams is a solid "swing-and-a-miss" because of the staff. People don't get it and the fantastic staff that opened the place moved on.

Plus, Frank complained. Dammit Frank.

You've said the Frank thing a couple of times, must have missed the first instance though. Or is it an inside joke?

PhotoDave219

You've said the Frank thing a couple of times, must have missed the first instance though. Or is it an inside joke?

It is the name of a Disney employee (DVC sales at one point) whom wrote a letter to Management complaining about Trader Sams, specifically they way they mess with people.

Trader Sams was subsequently toned down the last time I visited. So...... I blame him.

Rodan75

I need to try Disneyland's.

WDW's Trade Sams is a solid "swing-and-a-miss" because of the staff. People don't get it and the fantastic staff that opened the place moved on.

Plus, Frank complained. Dammit Frank.

When we were there last week, it was great. They have brought back at least one original opening cast member and they are leaning into the atmosphere more than in Dec.

Longhairbear

FigmentJedi

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 trailer is up. Word is we won't be getting an announcement on Kingdom Hearts 3 until winter. I'm actually really intrigued by the Back Cover movie adapting the mobile prequel game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom