A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

brb1006

Did they open a Harry Potter land? That's the only thing that draws a crowd like that here;)

There's a surprising amount of non-Chinese faces in those Cast Member crowd shots - implies that the wider Disney company is keeping a close eye on things for opening instead of just leaving it to the Chinese to figure out for themselves.
It's going to be pretty busy when it opens next week.

The Duck

It appears that some sorta of event was going on today at Shanghai Disneyland.
13408746_872748872870870_1236579358_n.jpg

13398661_1116241918448582_582542743_n.jpg
Looks like Disney organized a Moonie wedding ceremony.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I thought Disney only outsourced their more "basic" AA's and they were still doing their own more advanced ones in-house

Nope, WDI has shed all it's industrial capacity, The MBA's in charge of Imagineering don't see the value in being able to build your own products any longer it's not a 'core competence' (like buying back stock).

Of course that leads to the price inflation seen in WDI products, Because instead of a test part from the machine shop needing a slight modification being 'hey Joe, We need to take .010" off this surface to be a perfect fit, Joe - No problem gimme the part it'll be done after lunch'

Now it's create a new work order, modify the drawing, bid the job out to the local machine shops and wait for it to be done. Oh and by the way the cost just doubled because you got charged for BOTH parts. But the MBA's are revelling in their 'savings' by not having to maintain the industrial capacity to make one's own parts.

mickeyfan5534

Nope, WDI has shed all it's industrial capacity, The MBA's in charge of Imagineering don't see the value in being able to build your own products any longer it's not a 'core competence' (like buying back stock).

Of course that leads to the price inflation seen in WDI products, Because instead of a test part from the machine shop needing a slight modification being 'hey Joe, We need to take .010" off this surface to be a perfect fit, Joe - No problem gimme the part it'll be done after lunch'

Now it's create a new work order, modify the drawing, bid the job out to the local machine shops and wait for it to be done. Oh and by the way the cost just doubled because you got charged for BOTH parts. But the MBA's are revelling in their 'savings' by not having to maintain the industrial capacity to make one's own parts.
I'll keep on saying it till I'm blue in the face. The Walt Disney Company is run by people who don't know how to run a creative company. The moment the strategic planning goons are out, we'll see the improvements start.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll keep on saying it till I'm blue in the face. The Walt Disney Company is run by people who don't know how to run a creative company. The moment the strategic planning goons are out, we'll see the improvements start.

Part of being a 'creative' company means being able to create things in the realm of the physical instead of just IP...

peter11435

I thought Disney only outsourced their more "basic" AA's and they were still doing their own more advanced ones in-house
That's what the original announcement said.

Could you please provide a source for this information. The original announcement was that garner holt would produce parts and maintain inventory for Disney animatronics but that WDI would continue to design and build the more advanced and unique figures. It's possible this has changed. I know you are an expert in every field but I would like to see this from a more reputable source.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's what the original announcement said.

Could you please provide a source for this information. The original announcement was that garner holt would produce parts and maintain inventory for Disney animatronics but that WDI would continue to design and build the more advanced and unique figures. It's possible this has changed. I know you are an expert in every field but I would like to see this from a more reputable source.

I'm not an expert in every field I'm a guy who goes into companies and fixes broken systems and processes and have gained a great deal of insight into why companies fail, My domain knowledge is engineering and looking at Disney as an industrial engineering problem is quite enligntening.

peter11435

I'm not an expert in every field I'm a guy who goes into companies and fixes broken systems and processes and have gained a great deal of insight into why companies fail, My domain knowledge is engineering and looking at Disney as an industrial engineering problem is quite enligntening.
I see you avoided responding to the point of my post. Which I think gives me me answer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see you avoided responding to the point of my post. Which I think gives me me answer.

Never said I was an insider, I do read quite a bit more than the average person including industry specific journals and quoting them is useless as they are generally behind paywalls/or are available to industry association members only and quoting them would violate the terms of use.

As time wears on I find I care less and less about the dumpster fire known as TWDC. Though I'll watch with mixed feelings as the empire crumbles to dust.

WendyTinkerbell

I was there May 18 - 23. I ate the $11.99 nachos. I had to send it back because there were only 5 tomatoes on them and I refused to pay that price for 5 small bits of one of the four ingredients.

The new effects worked on Rockin Roller Coaster and Small World. Haunted Mansion did not work. In fact, we had to fully evacuate the ride, with the house lights on all the way from the entry into the graveyard through the entrance.

Splash Mountain looked great. Crowds noticeably increased each day of trip.

My biggest issue was the stand-by line for shows. The first was for Fantasmic. They waited until the show started, which started 5 minutes early, to allow the stand-by guests into theater. They had cut off the stand-by line 10 minutes earlier. Once in the show, that had already begun, there was no direction of where to go or where to sit and stand. It was dangerous and the cast members could have cared less. People were cursing and tripping over each other.

A similar experience occurred at Indiana Jones. Since there is only like 3 things to do at that park anymore, I thought I would go check out that show since I hadn't seen it the past few years. Once again the stand-by line was let in when they were asking for volunteers at the beginning of the show. This time we were filtered all the way across the theater and down the side to the front rows. Only problem was that once we got all the way down there, the seats were filled. Cast members made no effort to seat the people that were now stuck down there and the other areas we could have been seated in the back were now full. Major disorganization on both accounts.

jakeman

Never said I was an insider, I do read quite a bit more than the average person including industry specific journals and quoting them is useless as they are generally behind paywalls/or are available to industry association members only and quoting them would violate the terms of use.

As time wears on I find I care less and less about the dumpster fire known as TWDC. Though I'll watch with mixed feelings as the empire crumbles to dust.
Link the home page of the journals you read. Perhaps folks here would be interested in the same journals that provide you with these insights, even at a cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom