A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

scout68

The topic changes every other page. Its a bunch of people hanging out, talking and kvetching about the business side of Disney.

"kvetching"

That,
my online acquaintance?,
serendipitous chap?,
subject of multiple virtual peeping toms? ,
person I think I like most of the time but can't really tell because your really a bunch of 1s and 0s?,

might be the best description of what really (or artificially really) takes place here most of the time.

(...and somehow, I simultaneously like and tire of it).

Weird. (but fun)

Last edited:

AEfx

Rewrite that Iger and executive management are afraid of anything not based on pre-existing already popular IP. The first PoTC would NEVER have been green lighted under Iger. Heck even PIXAR has been reduced to sequels of sequels

That's patently untrue.

Tomorrowland, for one example.

As to Pixar sequels - personally, I've had enough myself. That said, in more cases than not, the quality of them, the critical and public acclaim, profits, etc., far exceed the "sequels of sequels" that were greenlit by the previous management team - lest we forget about "Cinderella III - A Twist In Time" - during a dark, awful period when the most classic Disney properties were used as direct to video crap trying to scoop up the bottom barrels of the market along with cheap slasher flicks...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't say anything of the sort but you filled in those blanks yourself? Again there is an attachment to this specific concept. No one is pining for Aurora's royal table, or Snow white and grumpys soup hall. The fevor here is that it's tianas place. Out of all the announced stuff from the Marvel areas to the Olaf playroom etc Tianas place is the only one making rounds.

Adult topic gets more traffic than the kids-only areas??? Shocker. Let's read the tea leaves based on that ... :rolleyes:

Get back to me when they even let tiana back on the main stage with the lead princesses.

And you might want to look into just what the main dining room is themed to on the other big ships before being so dismissive. Look for the common theme...

Sped2424

Adult topic gets more traffic than the kids-only areas??? Shocker. Let's read the tea leaves based on that ... :rolleyes:

Get back to me when they even let tiana back on the main stage with the lead princesses.

And you might want to look into just what the main dining room is themed to on the other big ships before being so dismissive. Look for the common theme...
Let's see Tiana is going to princess fairy tale hall and being apart of the new stage show at the Mk right next to Rapunzel and Elsa lol but you are right she's not popular.

Sped2424

Let's see how long she lasts. History speaks louder than futures
What history? The one where she has remained a steady figure since her addition in 2009? Lol given castle stage shows and their runs she's going to be performing there for the next 5+ years. Also you know Faciler is included in almost all the villain events right?

PhotoDave219

"kvetching"

That,
my online acquaintance?,
serendipitous chap?,
subject of multiple virtual peeping toms? ,
person I think I like most of the time but can't really tell because your really a bunch of 1s and 0s?,

might be the best description of what really (or artificially really) takes place here most of the time.

(...and somehow, I simultaneously like and tire of it).

Weird. (but fun)

You changed your avatar! You used to have a photo from the VAB, right?

No Name

Let's see how long she lasts. History speaks louder than futures

Tiana's presence has only increased over the last few years. She is included in the parade, Festival of Fantasy, which first began in 2014. She will be included in the new stage show (over most of the classic princesses). She still does meet and greets, and of course a PotF restaurant is coming to the Wonder. Typically, when movies do poorly, Disney lets them die. It has been the opposite for PotF.

The movie didn't do well, but Disney came to the correct conclusion that Tiana is a beloved character. The issue is that the movie had poor marketing, and mainly, a title that turned off boys. That's why Rapunzel was changed to Tangled and The Snow Queen was changed to Frozen (even though I don't think "Rapunzel" would've been an issue, but whatever). And that's why they renamed the MK carousel from Cinderella's to Prince Charming's, and got rid of Snow White's Scary Adventures for SDMT. They had a panic attack about becoming a girl company. And, whether it was all neccesary or not, they really did change their marketing style for future movies.

But my point is, Disney actually got the problem right for once rather than blaming it on the fact that she's black. The fact that she's black is not an issue. I don't feel like going into detail about that, but I'll point out that there's a show on Disney channel called Doc McStuffins that's doing very well. And her increased presence proves, that, despite her movie doing less that spectacularly in theaters, she is a loved character.

And I may be reading it wrong but your comment certainly doesn't help you sound any less racist.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Tiana's presence has only increased over the last few years. She is included in the parade, Festival of Fantasy, which first began in 2014. She will be included in the new stage show (over most of the classic princesses). She still does meet and greets, and of course a PotF restaurant is coming to the Wonder. Typically, when movies do poorly, Disney lets them die. It has been the opposite for PotF.

There really isn't a steady trend there to point to when it comes to Disney's actions. PaTF got a ton of action in the parks when the movie came out, especially in DLR, getting the special daytime riverboat show, being added into F!'s finale, M&Gs, parade appearances, and more. But here, almost 7 years later she still remains a second tier princess on what is already a crowded stage. Jasmine gets more love than Tiana still.

The movie didn't do well, but Disney came to the correct conclusion that Tiana is a beloved character. The issue is that the movie had poor marketing, and mainly, a title that turned off boys

The movie's biggest hype was the return to hand drawn animation... and the movie was largely forgettable, and goes down as Disney's last hurrah in the medium.

And that's why they renamed the MK carousel from Cinderella's to Prince Charming's, and got rid of Snow White's Scary Adventures for SDMT. They had a panic attack about becoming a girl company

Removing Snow White.. to replace it with the Fairy Tale Hall really doesn't support your case. We all know the story about Tangled, and Stagg's story about Fantasyland... we also know why they created Disney XD, and bought Marvel.

But my point is, Disney actually got the problem right for once rather than blaming it on the fact that she's black. The fact that she's black is not an issue

Glad to hear... I thought it had more to do with the fact the movie was meh and Disney already has enough princesses and trying to keep expanding the ranks (throw Merrida in there too) hasn't been a good idea.

And I may be reading it wrong but your comment certainly doesn't help you sound any less racist.

Because you lack the context... he is arguing with me in another thread where I'm against the 'color blind' casting Disney has been promoting at the expense of character presentation... and he's inferring now I'm against tiana as well because of race or something. Which is garbage.. He's talking as if tiana is some untapped potential that is now being unleashed... and how all these things should be spun together.. and it's a 'fact' how there is all this demand. Reality is they already integrated tiana into NOS at DLR, and did so years ago. And frankly its success is so great.. WDW fans don't generally know about it. I think the hype is misplaced.

PhotoDave219

There really isn't a steady trend there to point to when it comes to Disney's actions. PaTF got a ton of action in the parks when the movie came out, especially in DLR, getting the special daytime riverboat show, being added into F!'s finale, M&Gs, parade appearances, and more. But here, almost 7 years later she still remains a second tier princess on what is already a crowded stage. Jasmine gets more love than Tiana still.

The movie's biggest hype was the return to hand drawn animation... and the movie was largely forgettable, and goes down as Disney's last hurrah in the medium.

Removing Snow White.. to replace it with the Fairy Tale Hall really doesn't support your case. We all know the story about Tangled, and Stagg's story about Fantasyland... we also know why they created Disney XD, and bought Marvel.

Glad to hear... I thought it had more to do with the fact the movie was meh and Disney already has enough princesses and trying to keep expanding the ranks (throw Merrida in there too) hasn't been a good idea.

Because you lack the context... he is arguing with me in another thread where I'm against the 'color blind' casting Disney has been promoting at the expense of character presentation... and he's inferring now I'm against tiana as well because of race or something. Which is garbage.. He's talking as if tiana is some untapped potential that is now being unleashed... and how all these things should be spun together.. and it's a 'fact' how there is all this demand. Reality is they already integrated tiana into NOS at DLR, and did so years ago. And frankly its success is so great.. WDW fans don't generally know about it. I think the hype is misplaced.

Tiana is woefully underused and under marketed. They're missing out on a huge segment of the market...

Brer Panther

The movie didn't do well, but Disney came to the correct conclusion that Tiana is a beloved character. The issue is that the movie had poor marketing, and mainly, a title that turned off boys. That's why Rapunzel was changed to Tangled and The Snow Queen was changed to Frozen (even though I don't think "Rapunzel" would've been an issue, but whatever).
it was also up against movies like Avatar and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Why These Films Make So Much Money, Nobody Knows.

Last edited:

scout68

Belive it or not I'm not sure as my better 3/4s (as I struggle to bring even that much civility to the table) handles all the visuals. I'm pretty sure it's been the survey marker for a while.

That being said I have been and continue to be a quiet connoisseur of the sharper side of these here boards.

Cheers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom