A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Growing up i never even knew Return to Oz originally got negative reception. I just viewed it among the other excellent fantasy movies of the 80s including Clash of the Titans and The Neverending Story among others. Surprised me to later see the Siskel and Ebert review where one of them said it was the worst movie they ever saw. I get the original being so beloved and hard for people to get past, but i always loved Return. Still even today i love it. It does indeed seem to be gaining a following. I at least recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a watch and make your own judgement.

Then again i am also a fan of the Black Cauldron as well, so that makes two of us at least @tirian . Which a majority of people seem to detest. I get why it was once considered subpar compared to other Disney movies of the time (and Don Bluth films), and it is definitely not without its flaws. But honestly i feel like we've now gotten infinitely more horrid animated movies under late Eisner and Iger (Chicken Little and Home on the Range for instance). So the movie has really grown on me, gorgeous animation, which every year i appreciate more and more now that hand drawn is kind of dead. And still plenty of charm. Flawed but still entertaining and worthy of a look.

I loved the black hole... So I'm weird like that :)

Next Big Thing

...because the film division is terrified of making something that isn't based on an existing property.
In a way, yes. Every time they even veer off-course slightly over the past 6-7 years, they end up losing money. They found a strategic plan for the live action genre that seems to work, so this is what we've got.

The problem is, it's not just Disney, it's ALL OF HOLLYWOOD. There was only 1 film all of last year that wasn't based on anything pre-existing that managed to gross over $100M. Inside Out.

The problem isn't something that can be easily fixed. Hollywood is letting audiences dictate what gets made rather than someone growing a pair and trying something new. The problem is, when that something new fails, the shareholders will make sure you know about it.

tirian

In a way, yes. Every time they even veer off-course slightly over the past 6-7 years, they end up losing money. They found a strategic plan for the live action genre that seems to work, so this is what we've got.

The problem is, it's not just Disney, it's ALL OF HOLLYWOOD. There was only 1 film all of last year that wasn't based on anything pre-existing that managed to gross over $100M. Inside Out.

The problem isn't something that can be easily fixed. Hollywood is letting audiences dictate what gets made rather than someone growing a pair and trying something new. The problem is, when that something new fails, the shareholders will make sure you know about it.
As Marvel movies are proving, BO receipts will continue to drop as audiences eventually tire of seeing variations on the same movie.

Next Big Thing

As Marvel movies are proving, BO receipts will continue to drop as audiences eventually tire of seeing variations on the same movie.
So you're telling me that Cap 3 dropped for Marvel? It was/is the highest grossing Cap movie yet and will be the first one to pass $1B Worldwide (and first movie this year). And I know Disney doesn't control X-Men, but they are still wildly popular year in and year out. Deadpool was a smash earlier this year and Apocalypse had a successful opening too.

Comic Book movies are far from dead. If this year has shown anything, it's that they're more alive than ever (3 of the top 5 moves WW are comic movies).

Last edited:

brb1006

It's sadly true. I don't think we'll see something like Mary Poppins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Nightmare Before Christmas, Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, or Enchanted for a long time. They don't sell enough toys.
I heard Tim Burton actually didn't want to make a sequel to Nightmare Before Christmas since it might be a tough act to follow with it's original film. He considers Oogie's Revenge and the GBA game "The Pumpkin King" to be sequels to the first film. And considering that sequels usually don't have a good tract record with the (exception of the Toy Story film which is a rare accomplishment) that's might be a good reason.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm pretty confident we'll get a Roger Rabbit movie one of these days. It might take a while though, needs to be when people who were the right target age to love the film when it came out are in Iger level positions of power to make these calls.

I mean, if they can remake Pete's Dragon and Tron, which were only averagely successful originally, surely Roger, which was a massive hit, is a no-brainer.

If they do make a new Roger Rabbit movie, I bet the "adult" stuff will be toned down a lot.

Mike S

He said film division nothing about the live action movies, also they just did Tomorrowland which was an original concept. They have a recipe that is working right now, why would you not keep going?
He was quoting a post about the Mary Poppins sequel. Like I said, context.
Ive always head prequel attached to the project, so no worries about bad recasting. He was perfect
I didn't mean recasting. Just replacing him as the lead character. Very tough act to follow.

If they do make a new Roger Rabbit movie, I bet the "adult" stuff will be toned down a lot.
Sadly I could see that too. The Pirates movies have adult humor in them though so maybe there's a chance.
Does anyone think that now that Zootopia just hit a billion dollars at the box office that Disney will now change up Splash Mountain into Zootopia because they are too cheap and lazy to give us a new attraction?
http://deadline.com/2016/06/zootopia-passes-one-billion-worldwide-box-office-disney-1201767542/
image.jpeg

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The sexy Jessica Rabbit scenes, the innuendo...that stuff doesn't happen in today's Disney movies

Well. It was released under their touchstone label from what I remember. Which is where those types of movies live historically.

Of course, if they ever did release a sequel, I guess they could release it under their Disney pictures label.

tirian

So you're telling me that Cap 3 dropped for Marvel? It was/is the highest grossing Cap movie yet and will be the first one to pass $1B Worldwide (and first movie this year). And I know Disney doesn't control X-Men, but they are still wildly popular year in and year out. Deadpool was a smash earlier this year and Apocalypse had a successful opening too.

Comic Book movies are far from dead. If this year has shown anything, it's that they're more alive than ever (3 of the top 5 moves WW are comic movies).

I didn't say they were dead. If you keep up with the industry, you'll see that, adjusted for inflation, the new movies aren't selling as many tickets or making as much profit as they did a few years ago. It doesn't help that the movies cost more to make too.

Of course comic book movies are still popular, but eventually everyone will move on to the next big trend. That's just how things go.

EDIT: I'm moving on from this, hoping the thread will get back on topic. If we want to discuss the movies, there's a forum for that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom