A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

lazyboy97o

Well. It was released under their touchstone label from what I remember. Which is where those types of movies live historically.

Of course, if they ever did release a sequel, I guess they could release it under their Disney pictures label.
Yes, Who Framed Roger Rabbit was initially a Touchstone Pictures release but was later changed to Walt Disney Pictures (the same occurred with The Nightmare Before Christmas). When though was the last time Disney made and released a Touchstone film? Of late the brand has only really been used for DreamWorks films.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes, Who Framed Roger Rabbit was initially a Touchstone Pictures release but was later changed to Walt Disney Pictures (the same occurred with The Nightmare Before Christmas). When though was the last time Disney made and released a Touchstone film? Of late the brand has only really been used for DreamWorks films.

True. I guess when they released the first pirates under Walt Disney pictures, that kinda put an end to using touchstone for their more "adult" films. Or maybe it was before that. Can't remember.

Sped2424

But they did have all your points... "Live Jazz acts, Southern Food, great atmosphere, and tied into PATF"

Pretty much the key place where this concept would work... They've already done it and moved on. Besides the naming, they already have the New Orleans food location.

Disney did promotion around the movie's release for a period of time and pretty much has let it sit since.
Except they didn't have all those three things for PATF? Tianas jubabilee was a minor show set to a track not any sort of live music or with food etc. I am not saying that new Orleans square doesn't have these three things but the concept of this restaurant would make a killing with guests which is very much true. Not sure what your point is here? I mean clearly there is an interest if they went forward with the concept for the Disney Wonder.

Herbie

Return to Oz has actually had a strong cult following for the last, oh, 16 or more years. David Shire's score is beyond beautiful (I can not emphasize this enough), the effects are a marvel for the era, it's dark and mood - swaying, but still has a faint charm. Fairuza Balk is captivating, and the filmmakers were bold for having went the route they did. If only Disney had the balls to break the mold today.

truecoat

Quite the construction going on in CA.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 166

Sped2424

Imo into the woods should have been a touchstone picture so it could have retained it's original darker plot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
...because the film division is terrified of making something that isn't based on an existing property.

Rewrite that Iger and executive management are afraid of anything not based on pre-existing already popular IP. The first PoTC would NEVER have been green lighted under Iger. Heck even PIXAR has been reduced to sequels of sequels

Frozen is a runaway hit yet Disney WILL NOT INVEST in a proper Frozen attraction, Monsters Inc door coaster is/was a no brainer for crying out loud a standard hanging coaster in a door warehouse and its done.

Yet Disney will twist itself inside out to bring Marvel and Star Wars into the parks...

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

flynnibus

Premium Member
The interest alone I have seen on the idea on every post a blog made about it? The universal sentiment seems to be about time. I'm beginning to think your issue doesn't lie with the concept.

I'm fine with it... But thanks for the ad hominem racist attack.

I was just pointing out the vibe has already been done before. I think people are more happy about the dining on the wonder getting refreshes than they are about the material itself. I don't think there is this massive untapped demand for tiana. But the Disney based property probably resonates for with the fan base than the non character theme they went for in the magics refurb (cariocas)

asianway

I was just pointing out the vibe has already been done before. I think people are more happy about the dining on the wonder getting refreshes than they are about the material itself. I don't think there is this massive untapped demand for tiana. But the Disney based property probably resonates for with the fan base than the non character theme they went for in the magics refurb (cariocas)
Cariocas was basically a coat of paint and lighting fixtures. Was not done well at all when a full blown gut and start over was needed

Sped2424

I didn't say anything of the sort but you filled in those blanks yourself? Again there is an attachment to this specific concept. No one is pining for Aurora's royal table, or Snow white and grumpys soup hall. The fevor here is that it's tianas place. Out of all the announced stuff from the Marvel areas to the Olaf playroom etc Tianas place is the only one making rounds.

Mike S

Rewrite that Iger and executive management are afraid of anything not based on pre-existing already popular IP. The first PoTC would NEVER have been green lighted under Iger. Heck even PIXAR has been reduced to sequels of sequels

Frozen is a runaway hit yet Disney WILL NOT INVEST in a proper Frozen attraction, Monsters Inc door coaster is/was a no brainer for crying out loud a standard hanging coaster in a door warehouse and its done.

Yet Disney will twist itself inside out to bring Marvel and Star Wars into the parks...
Only in WDW will they not be investing properly in a Frozen ride. Really sucks. I would've taken the Monsters Door Coaster over Slinky any day. Also Marvel will be just as bad if not worse solely because of Guardians of the Tower.
If you can't see it no way I'll convince you
Clearly you know something I don't. That's why I'm asking. I'm willing to hear your side. PM me if you like.

PhotoDave219

I didn't say they were dead. If you keep up with the industry, you'll see that, adjusted for inflation, the new movies aren't selling as many tickets or making as much profit as they did a few years ago. It doesn't help that the movies cost more to make too.

Of course comic book movies are still popular, but eventually everyone will move on to the next big trend. That's just how things go.

EDIT: I'm moving on from this, hoping the thread will get back on topic. If we want to discuss the movies, there's a forum for that.

The topic changes every other page. Its a bunch of people hanging out, talking and kvetching about the business side of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom