A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

RSoxNo1

The Queen disagrees.
giphy.gif
That's a horrible swing.

ThemeParkJunkee

Okay, now that I read some members posts on "gay days", can you explain why every time I log in with my iphone, I get an add for gay cruises? I may have liked a post here or there but my profile clearly indicates I am a female and grandmother of five. I get a good chuckle out of them.

lazyboy97o

Okay, now that I read some members posts on "gay days", can you explain why every time I log in with my iphone, I get an add for gay cruises? I may have liked a post here or there but my profile clearly indicates I am a female and grandmother of five. I get a good chuckle out of them.
Lying in a profile is easy. Watching habits shows for information and the last pages would help support the notion that gay men are well represented in the Disney fan community. According to the advertisers here it seems I am looking for both a fun gay cruise and an Asian concubine.

ThemeParkJunkee

Lying in a profile is easy. Watching habits shows for information and the last pages would help support the notion that gay men are well represented in the Disney fan community. According to the advertisers here it seems I am looking for both a fun gay cruise and an Asian concubine.

Hilarious! I do get a kick out of the ads though. Who would have "thunk". I really am a rather creative, middle aged WDW fan who is the grandmother of five with an artist/illustrator/animator daughter. Oh...and an investor and bean counter. I can see how some of my posts and quotes could be interpreted by advertisers. I'm a libertarian. Free speech and all that.

tirian

Return to Oz was awesome, and the original Wizard of Oz (while also awesome) was not a perfect movie. Most of the stories from the series of books were also not covered in the 1939 film. It always catered to having sequels. The 1939 film was not even the first movie adaptation, and Return was not the only one after either (broadway had the immensely popular Wiz). Though Return is to my knowledge perhaps the only adaptation that tried adapting the other books, it wasn't just another rehash of the original like most other attempts (and Oz the Great and Powerful was an original prequel story, a bad one at that). I will always stick up for Return to Oz regardless, despite there being those who dislike it.

Mary Poppins on the other hand is about as perfect a movie as you can get. The book had sequels as well as Oz, but the movie wrapped the story of the Banks family up and there is really nowhere left to go with that family. They would have to make new stuff up entirely, or remake the original, both of which we should all be very worried about with the current Disney film studio's reputation for original content...

I also foresee another overly cgi'd mess of visuals. This entire thing reeks of greed and blatant corporate soullessness.
Return to Oz has been slowly gathering critical approval, if not exactly acclaim, over the last few years. AV Club regularly lists it among underappreciated movies.

tirian

Did you actually see it? I actually thought the first Alice was terrible, but this one was very entertaining. The shadow of the first Alice, and unfairly poor reviews hurt the new one.
IMHO, it suffers because I love movies and have seen too many good ones to appreciate this mess. I saw it and it was like watching fan fiction. If you liked it, more power to you; I have a soft spot for the Black Cauldron and can't judge you.

Last edited:

tirian

Everyone can say "told ya so" now with Alice flopping, but Disney is on pace to break all yearly Box Office records EVER this year. Yeah, the studio relies too much on francises/brand name, but Disney isn't gonna give a crap about one failed film out of the bunch. They're already over $4 Billion worldwide only 5 months into the year.

I'd love to see better live action movies, some of Oscar quality, but the reality is Disney makes too much money doing what they're currently doing to change.
It's sadly true. I don't think we'll see something like Mary Poppins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Nightmare Before Christmas, Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, or Enchanted for a long time. They don't sell enough toys.

brb1006

While I heard of gay days at Walt Disney World. Can anyone give a quick explanation for what it used to be like compared to today?

brb1006

Only 12 more days left until Shanghai Disneyland finally opens and 13 more days until Frozen Ever After opens at Epcot.

Animaniac93-98

Because you read a topic involving the word "gay" on a website that has to do with vacations. Web ads optimize key words in what you've searched and clicked on.

MerlinTheGoat

Growing up i never even knew Return to Oz originally got negative reception. I just viewed it among the other excellent fantasy movies of the 80s including Clash of the Titans and The Neverending Story among others. Surprised me to later see the Siskel and Ebert review where one of them said it was the worst movie they ever saw. I get the original being so beloved and hard for people to get past, but i always loved Return. Still even today i love it. It does indeed seem to be gaining a following. I at least recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a watch and make your own judgement.

Then again i am also a fan of the Black Cauldron as well, so that makes two of us at least @tirian . Which a majority of people seem to detest. I get why it was once considered subpar compared to other Disney movies of the time (and Don Bluth films), and it is definitely not without its flaws. But honestly i feel like we've now gotten infinitely more horrid animated movies under late Eisner and Iger (Chicken Little and Home on the Range for instance). So the movie has really grown on me, gorgeous animation, which every year i appreciate more and more now that hand drawn is kind of dead. And still plenty of charm. Flawed but still entertaining and worthy of a look.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The key term is a while back and that it's no longer a thing. Also tianas jubabilee is vastly different from a restaurant.

But they did have all your points... "Live Jazz acts, Southern Food, great atmosphere, and tied into PATF"

Pretty much the key place where this concept would work... They've already done it and moved on. Besides the naming, they already have the New Orleans food location.

Disney did promotion around the movie's release for a period of time and pretty much has let it sit since.

BrerJon

Still waiting for Roger but who they could get to replace Bob Hoskins I don't know.

I'm pretty confident we'll get a Roger Rabbit movie one of these days. It might take a while though, needs to be when people who were the right target age to love the film when it came out are in Iger level positions of power to make these calls.

I mean, if they can remake Pete's Dragon and Tron, which were only averagely successful originally, surely Roger, which was a massive hit, is a no-brainer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom