A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

bclane

Spirited Quickees (because they are the best kind):

I see talk about CM pay, WDW prices and quality and ... and ... it is all part and parcel of the 'new normal' where economic inequality is praised, people are told they shouldn't expect living wages (just get another job!) and people who aren't even worth a million dollars (if they sold all their Disney crap) yell about protecting the billionaires and corporations from paying their fair share because they are deluded enough to envision a future that has them having that type of wealth. No, taxes are not an evil, they are a necessary part of a civilized society with social nets in place to take care of those less fortunate or those impacted by say ... a major national disaster.

As to WDW, I loved @lentesta 's post on CM pay (just hopelessly behind here right now) almost as much as I loved http://blog.touringplans.com/2017/08/31/mmm_aug2017/ ... so that's a lot! The idea that paying people a bit more impacts what you pay in a tiny way is why I will never eat a Papa John's pizza again. Not sure if you recall during the fights over the ACA when the head of the company said he would never support it because it would add one cent to the cost of a pizza. Gee, charge people a penny more and everyone he employs gets healthcare or don't and they suffer and ... as the kewl kidz say ... I can't even.

BTW, back to my best buddy (we went to school together in second grade and I protected him when other future bloggers, notably Lou 'Two Chins' Mongello, would try to beat him up for his lunch money), @derekburgan, but I am amazed every time I visit the local Disney outlet store by how much Star Wars crap they are trying to unload. Literally, the store here is about two-thirds SW merchandise at this point. Yes, much is Disney Store branded, but that is no different from what you get at WDW. No, not suggesting anything beyond Disney has too much product.

To Lenny's point about hotel rates at WDW, I do agree that discounts the last 24-30 months have seemed steeper and more desperate than in the 'recovery period' after the massive discounting following the 2007-08 economic collapse. I already have banner adds offering me rooms at the All Stars for $76 a night starting 10/29. I, personally, have never paid more than $79 plus tax for them (that was back when summer was a big season and two decades ago!)

Don't know if anyone here has mentioned it yet, but DLP finally opened Les Village Nature yesterday. Will be interesting to see how the place moves the needle on stays there. The water park aspect interests me the most. I don't see the venture interesting the typical Americans who finally visit an international outpost.

DLP has also announced major new Christmas entertainment this year, which I sadly will miss. New stage shows at both parks. Smaller version of Tokyo's Big Band Beat. New projection show at WDSP.

Saw there was a bit of a dust up over FoP being the best attraction in the world. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. I haven't ridden it yet. It impressed the Hillbilly who used to post here. But he certainly didn't say 'Best ride in the world.' ... And having just ridden some great rides in Shanghai and Tokyo, I'm having a wait and see attitude. I believe it will impress me. How much it will impress me is the question.

Yes, that new 'VIP' tour of DAK is offensive. But rubes with money remain WDW's most coveted audience. The people who would rather pay $600 a night for the BC versus $150 for the Swan because the former has Disney MAGIC!

You might not have a life (and possibly have serious mental issues) if you are a blogger who has eaten every item at the Fall Food and Booze Fest and taken pictures of it and thinks that he/she/it is doing a service to the world ... or if you've been to 2-3 MNSSHPs before Labor Day etc.

I will now ask for a moment of silence in honor of the death of HKDL's Buzz Lightyear attraction two days ago. If you could take the other versions worldwide with you, I'd be very grateful.

Planning a future visit to O-Town for 10 days and wondering whether it is even worth setting foot in Disney's No Name Third Gate MAGICal IP Park. ToT is great. But one attraction does not a theme park make.

Hope to respond to some posts later today/tonight!
If you have an AP or a park hopper it's worth stepping in DHS for a few hours in the evening imo but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. I always enjoy the Frozen show and the rides that are there but then again, I'm a huge Star Wars fan as well so I always find lots to do there.

radiohost

Thanks for the update! I'm curious your thoughts on Imagineerings choice of using the new "Walmart" style of animation in the new Mickey Mouse ride replacing Great Movie Ride rather than the classic version of Mickey we see in the Parks?

bclane

Then keep it to yourself verse lambasting others for not seeing the world as you do.
I wonder if it's like cilantro. To me, it makes everything taste better but to some people, it just tastes like dishwater and they don't understand how people can eat it. It's just how a person is made really. Anatomy and Physiology 101. Maybe the feeling of flight on FoP or something else about the experience just doesn't work for some people and this is why they don't like it while others lose their fool minds on it. Who knows. Anyway just a thought for what its worth.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if it's like cilantro. To me, it makes everything taste better but to some people, it just tastes like dishwater and they don't understand how people can eat it. It's just how a person is made really. Anatomy and Physiology 101. Maybe the feeling of flight on FoP or something else about the experience just doesn't work for some people and this is why they don't like it while others lose their fool minds on it. Who knows. Anyway just a thought for what its worth.
I like cilantro. I guess that bodes well for my trip in November where I get to try out FoP;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
"the greatest" anything is always up to opinion. That said, I can definitely understand why Flight of Passage is being touted as the greatest, I've been on it once and it was incredible....trying to find the time to ride it again very soon!

It's also difficult to say, compared to all of the other high tech attractions with different ride mechanisms which one is "the greatest".

FoP is probably considered by a majority of people who rode it to be the best pure simulator if being compared to Star Tours, Soarin', The Simpsons/BTTF, etc.

Haymarket2008

"the greatest" anything is always up to opinion. That said, I can definitely understand why Flight of Passage is being touted as the greatest, I've been on it once and it was incredible....trying to find the time to ride it again very soon!

It's also difficult to say, compared to all of the other high tech attractions with different ride mechanisms which one is "the greatest".

FoP is probably considered by a majority of people who rode it to be the best pure simulator if being compared to Star Tours, Soarin', The Simpsons/BTTF, etc.

I agree. FoP is definitely not the greatest attraction in the world, despite my absolute adoration of it in almost every way. Not even top 10, at least for my tastes. But it is THE greatest simulator. Bar none. It's a wonder.

bclane

I agree. FoP is definitely not the greatest attraction in the world, despite my absolute adoration of it in almost every way. Not even top 10, at least for my tastes. But it is THE greatest simulator. Bar none. It's a wonder.
New life goal: experience every attraction in the world and then decide which one (in my opinion) is the greatest. Sounds like a really good time to me! For now, FoP is definitely my current favorite but I did ride it one time and the screen was slightly out of focus for some reason and it lost most its mojo for me. Maybe the 3D glasses I was using were defective???Thankfully that has never happened again for me and when it did, it occurred on a parent swap so I got to ride twice within a very short time period..

ParentsOf4

Maintenance fees have been increasing at double digit percentages even while maintenance and amenities are being cut back at the resorts. A unhappy DVC camper speaking here
No, no, no, stop making stuff up.

Over the last 10 years, Maintenance Fees (MF) at the WDW DVCs have gone up an average of 3.5% per year, with BLT leading the way at 5.5% per year. Every other resort has seen an average increase of less than 4.0%, with most under 3.5%. Despite the increases, BLT still has the second-lowest MF of any WDW DVC resort.

The best WDW performer over the same period is BWV, which saw an average annual increase of only 2.9%.

BLT's MF started unusually low. Many DVC members have commented on the poor wear-and-tear of the furniture & fixtures there. BLT needs the funds to fix and replace substandard items used during its original construction.

If you are so unhappy with BLT, pm me and I'll trade you an AKV for a BLT. AKV is a beautiful resort, (IMHO) WDW's best. Heck, I'll trade you a BWV.

Better yet, if you are so unhappy, sell your BLT now. With resales way up, I'm sure you'll turn a profit. No reason to be an "unhappy DVC camper" when you can make a profit on it!

And if you want to keep it and just rent points, then stop complaining. WDW's popularity has given you an opportunity to make a profit year-after-year with practically no effort on your part.

radiohost

As long as it's good what matters about how much it cost to make? A perfect Disney example here would be most of the dark rides in Disneyland's Fantasyland vs. the newer, more high tech, and much more expensive Little Mermaid.
That's apples and oranges.

The new Mickey Mouse Cartoons do not look a thing like the classic cartoons (or even the computer animated Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) animations that we see. They are done at the cheap in order for them to be made. Why make a new attraction with a character that does not resemble the character we know?

Now, back to the original thread.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Over the last 10 years, Maintenance Fees (MF) at the WDW DVCs have gone up an average of 3.5% per year, with BLT leading the way at 5.5% per year. Every other resort has seen an average increase of less than 4.0%, with most under 3.5%. Despite the increases, BLT still has the second-lowest MF of any WDW DVC resort.

The best WDW performer over the same period is BWV, which saw an average annual increase of only 2.9%.

BLT's MF started unusually low. Many DVC members have commented on the poor wear-and-tear of the furniture & fixtures there. BLT needs the funds to fix and replace substandard items used during its original construction.

If you are so unhappy with BLT, pm me and I'll trade you an AKV for a BLT. AKV is a beautiful resort, (IMHO) WDW's best. Heck, I'll trade you a BWV.

Better yet, if you are so unhappy, sell your BLT now. With resales way up, I'm sure you'll turn a profit. No reason to be an "unhappy DVC camper" when you can make a profit on it!

And if you want to keep it and just rent points, then stop complaining. WDW's popularity has given you an opportunity to make a profit year-after-year with practically no effort on your part.
I was going to post something similar but I didn't want to ruin a good doom and gloom story;)

Mike S

That's apples and oranges.

The new Mickey Mouse Cartoons do not look a thing like the classic cartoons (or even the computer animated Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) animations that we see. They are done at the cheap in order for them to be made. Why make a new attraction with a character that does not resemble the character we know?

Now, back to the original thread.
Really? Are you suggesting Mickey Mouse Clubhouse looks better? Honestly?

Sheesh, some of you people are just too far gone in your blind hate of the new Mickey.

JoeCamel

What are you saying? Those are ALL double digit sets of numbers! :D:hilarious::happy:

wiscbugs

I agree that Flight of Passage is the best ride I have ever ridden. We rode it about 6 times in June during our trip and it didn't disappoint. I haven't been on any of the rides in the foreign Disneys but have been on all the US Disney and Universal rides, and FOP is, far and away, the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom