A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is there a reason all the DVC sites have all raised their rental prices? I rented a couple years ago and the rates were between 14.5 - 16 per point. Now I'm thinking of renting again but they're 17 across the board for every site I checked.
Inflation plus simple supply and demand. Maintenance fees for owners go up every year as well as the cash price to book a hotel room from Disney so it makes sense the DVC rental price would go up. The word on renting DVC points is out and the demand for the more popular resorts often times exceeds supply. Since it's not always possible to trade in for the more popular DVC locations at the 7 month window you really need to find a home resort renter who can reserve for you between 7 and 11 months. I think some of the sites will even offer a premium to DVC owners who offer to rent their points from the more popular resorts earlier than 7 months out.

The_Jobu

Inflation plus simple supply and demand. Maintenance fees for owners go up every year as well as the cash price to book a hotel room from Disney so it makes sense the DVC rental price would go up. The word on renting DVC points is out and the demand for the more popular resorts often times exceeds supply. Since it's not always possible to trade in for the more popular DVC locations at the 7 month window you really need to find a home resort renter who can reserve for you between 7 and 11 months. I think some of the sites will even offer a premium to DVC owners who offer to rent their points from the more popular resorts earlier than 7 months out.

That makes sense. It's too bad, 14.5 was a great rate. I'll have to save a little while longer for 17.5.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Correct David is offering a premium rate for 8-11 home resort rentals

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You may be able to find an individual to rent to you for less than the rate through a broker. If the broker is renting to you for $17 they are probably paying the owner $13 or $14. Of course then you run the risk of the person ripping you off.

Thats why you pay a broker, they ensure you get the rental

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Okay, here are my notes on this. Background: Text in gray is a reader email. It’s a response to a show we did off an Orlando Sentinel article about Mike Beaver, Tomorrowland CM who lives in a motel and commutes 45-minutes each way to his job in Tomorrowland. Mike makes $13.02 per hour. Here's the original article.

Text in blue is my set of show notes to points raised in the letter. This is my opinion only, not necessarily Jim's.

Hi Len,

Just listened to some of the most recent podcasts on band camp.......we drove back and forth to NYC from Orlando and you and Jim really helped to entertain us on a rather dull drive.

One of the recent ones you and Jim were talking about the cast member who spends a lot of time getting to his job on the bus, I saw his story on the local news a few weeks ago. And I was interested in your view point about a living wage. We are originally from one of what I like to call the welfare states/city NYC where this very issue is a hot topic. I am not sure what a living wage is and what the entitlement should be.

For the record, as you’d expect, I’m generally a “what do the data say?” guy when it comes to policy and politics. But everyone’s outlook on these things has a political leaning. Mine is basically the love child of Angela Merkel and Paul Krugman.

Let’s talk about a living wage. More information is here: http://livingwage.mit.edu/pages/about. I paraphrase/copy some of that next.

The living wage is the minimum income standard that, if met, draws a very fine line between the financial independence of the working poor and the need to seek out public assistance or suffer consistent and severe housing and food insecurity.

The living wage model is an alternative measure of basic needs. It is a market-based approach that draws upon geographically specific expenditure data related to a family’s likely minimum food, childcare, health insurance, housing, transportation, and other basic necessities (e.g. clothing, personal care items, etc.) costs. The living wage draws on these cost elements and the rough effects of income and payroll taxes to determine the minimum employment earnings necessary to meet a family’s basic needs while also maintaining self-sufficiency.

The living wage model is a ‘step up’ from poverty as measured by the poverty thresholds but it is a small ‘step up’, one that accounts for only the basic needs of a family.

The living wage model does not allow for what many consider the basic necessities enjoyed by many Americans. It does not budget funds for:

Pre-prepared meals or those eaten in restaurants
Entertainment
Leisure time for unpaid vacations or holidays
A financial means for planning for the future through savings and investment or for the purchase of capital assets (e.g. provisions for retirement or home purchases).

The living hourly wage for one adult is $11.51 in Osceola and Orange counties. So Mike makes $1.51/hour more than that, around $60/week or $3,100 per ye
ar.​

For two adults both working full-time, it’s $9.06/hour each.

For two adults with one full-time and one part-time it’s $12.08.

For two adults and one child it’s $13.54 per adult

For one adult and one child is $24.07.

Those numbers are interesting, because they combine with Disney’s hourly wage to tell you that Disney thinks of front-line customer service as something that a household of “one or two people with no dependents” does. Because that’s what the pay can support.

Do I think an excellent attitude and work ethic should be rewarded? Yes I do, merit increases is the way to go, but many times unions prevent that......not sure if this is the case within disney.

Merit raises and unions is an interesting idea, because when we think of unions and wages, we think primarily of collective bargaining, which is on the opposite end of ‘merit raises’.

There are lots of studies on the wage effects of unions. The results are generally predictable by political affiliation. And here I’m using the political affiliation rankings of https://mediabiasfactcheck.com. You can look up there where your favorite news outlet sits on the political spectrum.

The National Bureau of Economic Research is one of many organizations rated “least biased” by MediaBiasFactCheck. And it happens that the NBER has a number of studies on the effect of unions and wages. In one 2002 study of 17 countries including the U.S., by David Blanchflower and Alex Bryson, it was reported that unions raise wages about 12% higher than they would be otherwise. http://www.nber.org/papers/w9395

That’s in line with a 2013 report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that looked at U.S. union and non-union hourly wages annually from 2001 to 2011. It showed that hourly wages for unionized workers were 18-24% higher than non-union jobs. https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/04/art2full.pdf

So there’s some indication that even if unions prevent merit increases, the overall effect of unions is higher wages for workers.

I checked with the BLS to see if they could tell me what the average hourly wage is for non-union theme park workers. It turns out that they actually track this too (https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes393091.htm). And the average wage in 2016 for the quarter-million non-union theme park workers in the U.S. was around $10.58.

Note that that’s less than the living hourly wage in WDW. In fact, the 75th percentile wage is $11.38, still under the living hourly wage for one adult.

So while we can’t know what Disney would set wages at without a union, and we don’t know what Mike’s wages would be without a union and just based on his personal merit, there’s some evidence that Disney’s overall wages would be lower without the union.

All of that being said how much more are you willing to pay for admission and meals on property? Because the increases have to come from somewhere.

This is a great question.

Around 37,000 WDW workers are represented by the unions. http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/11/news/companies/disney-workers-union/index.html

Let’s say we wanted to get Mike to where he could get married to another CM and support a kid on a living wage. We’d need to bump up the Mike’s wage by $0.52/hour. Let’s assume that all 37,000 union workers get the same wage, they work 2080 hours per year, and they all need the $0.52 raise.

That’s an additional cost of 37,000 x 2080 x 0.52 = $40,019,200 per year

According to Trefis.com, a site that breaks down SEC reports, Disney’s domestic parks made $15.4 billion in 2016. 2/3rds of Disney’s theme parks are in Orlando, the vast majority of its hotel rooms, and all of its water parks. Let’s say 75% of its domestic theme park income - around $11.5 billion - comes from WDW. Source:
https://www.trefis.com/stock/dis/model/trefis?easyAccessToken=PROVIDER_a94faf1b357166681dc8d8f6232d98165778fd8d&from=widget:forecast

$40 million is about 1/3rd of 1% of $11.5 billion, so Disney’s prices would need to go up by that amount in order to cover this wage increase.

A bottle of water would rise in price from $3.00 to $3.01. A bottle of Coke would similarly rise from $3.50 to $3.51.

An adult dinner buffet at Biergarten would rise from $40 to $40.14.
A room at Pop Century during a peak weekend night currently costs $208. That would increase by $0.73.

One thing we in Orange County could do would be to provide lower cost housing, subsidized so that this CM could get out of that hotel room. As for his one hour bus ride, that was my commute in NYC everyday.......I cannot get to excited about that.

This is an interesting scenario. If a company doesn’t provide a living wage to its full-time workers, taxpayers subsidies can help. It’s similar to what we see with Walmart, where a substantial percentage of their workers

Lastly I am not sure these entry level jobs are or were meant to be careers and the wage is not meant to support someone.

Part of this seems to be a true assumption: the median tenure for all service workers in the US, according to the BLS, is around 3 years.

Also, we can look at the wages and say “Your paycheck is telling you that this is an entry-level job.” You can see by the living wage analysis that the job pays enough for one person not to regularly depend on government assistance. It doesn’t pay enough to raise a child or care for anyone else.

Plus, you know, some portion of these workers have spouses with much better-paying jobs. I know of a few CMs for whom this is literally their ‘retirement job’. They own their home and make enough money here to pay their food and utility bills each month, so they don’t have to use their savings.

On the other hand, the average job tenure for Disney is around 8 years. So clearly, lots of people are making this their job. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...SNEYWAGES20_1_wage-scales-unions-disney-world)

Why is the average tenure 8 years? It could be that Disney pays higher-than-average wages for the area. In Orlando, for example, restaurant workers average $12.53/hour and service workers average $11.99. (https://www.bls.gov/regions/southea...tionalemploymentandwages_orlando_20170608.pdf)

Our property taxes are pretty high in Orange County so I am not sure where the money could come from to help on the housing issue. Maybe 1/2% in sales tax could help fund this. It is an issue every large city is coping with.....affordable housing but it needs to be done in such a way that it just doesn't turn into tenements. In brooklyn there is a development called starrett city which is 40 years old and as nice as it was when it was built. The criteria for getting an apartment was that you had to have a job, there was no welfare recipients. It has really worked.

I’d ask the question this way: Disney made $2.8 billion in profit off its theme parks in 2016. Why do taxpayers have to subsidize Disney’s employees so those employees can earn a living wage? Shouldn’t that fall on Disney’s shareholders and customers first?

Even if you say "a company's only responsibility is to make money for shareholders", and that occasional tax transfers from taxpayers to private corporations are in the public interest, it's not clear that subsidizing Disney's low wages for decades on end, is a net positive for Central Florida. Why not require Disney and Disney shareholders to pay back the taxpayers from profits, when profits are made?

Put another way: lots of states have laws that limit how much any one person can get from social safety net programs over that person's life. Why don't we treat companies the same way?

I personally have a real problem with companies using public assistance for employees as a business model, One because its simply WRONG, Two because its siphoning resources from local communities and redirects them to Wall Street as it's only large public companies who can do this effectively, Third it forces individuals and small businesses to directly subsidize the Disney's and Wal Mart's of the world whether they choose to buy their products and services or not

raymusiccity

Well I stay off site for free :p
IMG_2188.JPG

the.dreamfinder

As for me well im renting out my DVC points via David's I don't think disney can come up with a incentive big enough to get me to return in the near future after the 'fun' I had there in January

Take a look at @WDW1974's comments its been a bad summer in the swamps and getting worse.

Much of the increase in P&R is driven by increases at DL offsetting drops at WDW where once again huge cuts backstage and cuts in CM hours.

What happens when the people still fail to show up to visit parks half closed for 'construction' and hours cut back to post 9/11 levels.

MK open only until 9PM during the SUMMER!!!! just let that sink in and roll around a bit.

Gordon Behune once said when he took over Continental from Frank Lorenzo. 'How much cheese can you take away from a pizza before it stops being a pizza'. Under Texas Air Continental found out.

Under Iger how many details can we take away before it stops being Disney.
You know, you can use your DVC points to go to the Disney hotels at the foreign resorts.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know, you can use your DVC points to go to the Disney hotels at the foreign resorts.

The point exchange rates for that program to put it mildly are a ripoff (it makes the cruises for points look like a bargain)

plus there is a large fee for doing the exchange One does far better renting and paying cash than exchanging for hotels/ABD/Cruises.

Notably these programs have become much less DVC member friendly in the past 3 years or so as they used to be a lot more reasonable point wise.

Heck even David's now has a program where you can trade your points for Disney cruises and his point cost for a Disney cruise is about 2/3rd's of the Disney direct exchange.

Disney is treating DVC members very badly recently.

Used to be a truism that a bad day at Disney was better than a great day at the office. Of late i'm finding i prefer the office to Disney because when something goes wrong I can make it right.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Fantastic post! I guess that's pretty much the usual for your posts, though. :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that Disney leadership has expectations that really are not grounded in reality (ie. historical numbers and experience), but what they think people will want or do. For example:
  • Avatar. Certainly not a huge, Potter-like property, yet at least some influential people in the Ivory Towers of Anaheim surely expected it to draw similar numbers.
  • I read a while back (and cannot remember where) that GotG 2 did not meet Disney's lofty expectations for its box office take. But yet they still want to drive it into the parks, because you know why... Synergy!!! Merchandise!!! (Which just happen to be Chappie's middle names ;) )
  • Yes, SW:GE will draw like mad once it opens, but TSL likely will not be much more than a blip on the attendance radar. The bigger question is can it continue to do so? Re-rideability is going to be a big factor as to whether or not SW:GE can keep people coming back in big numbers.
  • For the record, I am not in favor of the direction Disney has been moving for the past several years, in terms of shorter, more thrill-type rides over longer, more family-oriented rides and attractions. I understand that they are "just giving people what they want", but since when do people know what they want??? :p Who thought you'd be drawn in and entertained by 10, 15, or even 40 minute attractions until EPCOT Center, and some of the now-closed opening-day MGM Studios attractions, opened?

Agree - we all know Avatar was chosen as the attraction IP because of its box office success, not because it told a compelling story rather people watched the movie because it had the first 3D which actually worked.

By all accounts its a great attraction but it's no 'Potter Swatter' because the rest of the land fails to immerse, glow in the dark paint splattered on the walkway does not make a bioluminescent forest.

Its frankly amazing that Disney can spend so much yet get so little for their money.

rael ramone

Agree - we all know Avatar was chosen as the attraction IP because of its box office success, not because it told a compelling story rather people watched the movie because it had the first 3D which actually worked.

By all accounts its a great attraction but it's no 'Potter Swatter' because the rest of the land fails to immerse, glow in the dark paint splattered on the walkway does not make a bioluminescent forest.

Its frankly amazing that Disney can spend so much yet get so little for their money.

Just got back from the swamps....

I originally thought when it was announced that adding Avatar was 'Trying To Make Fetch Happen' (and that both $DIS and James Cameron were guilty of this)...

After experiencing it:

It needs another ride (wasn't there supposed to be a 3rd one?). It isn't the complete slam dunk fit to the rest of the park (but there are design aspects that feel like AK & AKL). The merch didn't interest me (though I've seen others buy some). That floating mountain mug is certainly for looks only, because it looks impossible to hand wash it and you NEVER machine wash a 2017 Disney Mug. And I didn't come away with it with a connection to the Avatar BRAND.

That all said, the land is very, very impressive. It's like being in a living Yes album cover. Lots, and lots, and lots, of falling water. A good sized area to explore. And the meal I had at Satu'li Canteen was quite tasty. And FOP is quite good as others have said... I'm glad they spent that money.... (And they will have to continue to spend money to keep it that way.)

Now is Burbank glad?.... If they thought Avatar, as impressive as it is, is going to generate a Potter-like response (while simultaneously not cannibalizing the other parks), then, in that sense, the project was 'Trying To Make Fetch Happen'... AK was the busiest I've seen it for years, but I wonder if the impressiveness of the land (and the impressive efforts that will be necessary to keep it up) will result in a hit to the margin - one that might even cost someone their job....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just got back from the swamps....

I originally thought when it was announced that adding Avatar was 'Trying To Make Fetch Happen' (and that both $DIS and James Cameron were guilty of this)...

After experiencing it:

It needs another ride (wasn't there supposed to be a 3rd one?). It isn't the complete slam dunk fit to the rest of the park (but there are design aspects that feel like AK & AKL). The merch didn't interest me (though I've seen others buy some). That floating mountain mug is certainly for looks only, because it looks impossible to hand wash it and you NEVER machine wash a 2017 Disney Mug. And I didn't come away with it with a connection to the Avatar BRAND.

That all said, the land is very, very impressive. It's like being in a living Yes album cover. Lots, and lots, and lots, of falling water. A good sized area to explore. And the meal I had at Satu'li Canteen was quite tasty. And FOP is quite good as others have said... I'm glad they spent that money.... (And they will have to continue to spend money to keep it that way.)

Now is Burbank glad?.... If they thought Avatar, as impressive as it is, is going to generate a Potter-like response (while simultaneously not cannibalizing the other parks), then, in that sense, the project was 'Trying To Make Fetch Happen'... AK was the busiest I've seen it for years, but I wonder if the impressiveness of the land (and the impressive efforts that will be necessary to keep it up) will result in a hit to the margin - one that might even cost someone their job....

Definitely trying to make fetch happen, Look at the Avatar movies they keep getting pushed back, Burbank probably thought the land would reignite the Avatar franchise....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom