A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Princess Leia

I have full faith in the Russo brothers, but Gunn was the heart of the Guardians. If anyone from the existing franchise gets to take over though, I’m hoping Russos

brb1006

Mickey's 90th Birthday portrait just got revealed at comic con titled "Spreading Happiness Around the World” and “features Mickey floating over a world full of happiness.”
Mickey90-Full.jpg

The painting was done by Disney animator Mark Henn

AEfx

Yes, be free to say what you want. But suffer the consequences for it.

Sounds smugly logical, like so many of these SJW tenets at first blush, but slippery slope when people then go back TEN YEARS to find something to cry about. These "rules" weren't in place when the thought-crime as originally committed. It was never a joke in good taste, but in 2008 we didn't believe in destroying someones career overnight over a Twitter joke.

These "consequences" don't fit the "crime" - that is the issue. Roseanne proved this, but again - this was even worse because they had to go back a decade and retroactively decide he wasn't worthy to work with them. It ultimately makes Disney look very very weak as a company that they buckle to a little social media pressure (and this didn't even make mainstream media until Disney fired him, it wasn't a scandal to begin with).

AEfx

James Gunn Disagrees with you...

"I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.” ~James Gunn.

I'm well aware of that quote. I get why people are finding this somewhat cathartic and the fact this has been a "revenge" scenario. But like I said, my feelings on this are not political - I don't think it was right when it happened to Roseanne, and I don't think it is right now (particularly with the fact this was not new and was based on joke tweets a DECADE old).

Reddit is crazy right now, the right/far right is embracing this - the left/far left has used this tool to systematically eliminate their "enemies" - now the other side has seen how well it works, and they are digging for everything they can find on anyone. They are working on Kathleen Kennedy right now...

AEfx

No smugness meant. If you knew me, you’d know that.

Aren't we in the age of "it doesn't matter what your intention is, it's how the receiver takes it?"

Given that, yes, "you are free to say whatever you want, but will suffer the consequences" sounds smug in this context, kind of like a parent saying to a teenager "oh, you can stay out as late as you want - but the door locks at 10PM and won't open again until morning..."

In any case, it isn't even about that. The part that feels disingenuous is that no one is saying people should not be held accountable for their words, it is the "consequences" in proportion to the actions.

Losing a job of this stature and having all business ties cut with someone because of public tweets sent ten years ago that you didn't seem to care about before hand is not commensurate with the "crime". It is patently ridiculous.

I actually invite anyone who thinks Disney wasn't well-aware of his past to just look through his credits and see the kind of work he did before GoG. If they didn't, then Disney are criminally negligent themselves here. Aside from work on the Scooby-Doo films, everything else is the opposite of family-friendly. Just like the stupid jokes he made.

Princess Leia

Aren't we in the age of "it doesn't matter what your intention is, it's how the receiver takes it?"

Given that, yes, "you are free to say whatever you want, but will suffer the consequences" sounds smug in this context, kind of like a parent saying to a teenager "oh, you can stay out as late as you want - but the door locks at 10PM and won't open again until morning..."

In any case, it isn't even about that. The part that feels disingenuous is that no one is saying people should not be held accountable for their words, it is the "consequences" in proportion to the actions.

Losing a job of this stature and having all business ties cut with someone because of public tweets sent ten years ago that you didn't seem to care about before hand is not commensurate with the "crime". It is patently ridiculous.

I actually invite anyone who thinks Disney wasn't well-aware of his past to just look through his credits and see the kind of work he did before GoG. If they didn't, then Disney are criminally negligent themselves here. Aside from work on the Scooby-Doo films, everything else is the opposite of family-friendly. Just like the stupid jokes he made.
Funny you should mention Scooby-Doo: his first cut of that movie was rated R by the MPAA

Pixieish

The family-friendly reasoning for accepting his firing holds no weight with me. Marvel isn't about family-friendly...Deadpool is proof of that.

the.dreamfinder

They’ll just hire another director.
Of course. Gunn's awfulness doesn't really affect Guardians as an entity. The fact that he was hired in the first place DOES reflect badly on Iger's judgement and ethics however...
You can’t just hire another director for Guardians. These films have, up until BP, been the MCU films most deeply connected to their creator.

Firing Gunn was deeply disappointing. Attempting to reverse engineer his talent, his relationships with Feige and Co and his cast and crew is highly inadvisible.

Fifty plus years from now, the GotG films will be shown in film schools as exemplary films of their time.

Dunston

You can’t just hire another director for Guardians. These films have, up until BP, been the MCU films most deeply connected to their creator.

Firing Gunn was deeply disappointing. Attempting to reverse engineer his talent, his relationships with Feige and Co and his cast and crew is highly inadvisible.
Couldn't agree more.

This is the same guy who directed a movie about Dwight braining people with a wrench under the guise of fighting crime. I can't at all defend the seven year old tasteless, unfunny, tryhard jokes that have been dredged up. I can, however, use critical thinking to realize that these old tweets were brought to attention by Mike Cernovitch--the "pizzagate" guy. I won't delve into the obvious political motivation and this type of conspiracy nonsense, but remember who caused all this.

I think that it is a false equivalency to compare these tweets to the Roseanne situation. She was posting racist stuff in the present day, so was fired within a day. James Gunn made these posts seven years ago, and has since apologized, and didn't try to defend them. It wasn't okay to joke about pedophilia in 2011, just like it isn't today. Just as anti-semitic jokes and racist jokes have not been okay and are not okay. Between the two, who has continued to engage in the (according to the new precedent) firing-worthy behavior into the current year? Therein lies the false equivalency.

Pixieish

Couldn't agree more.

This is the same guy who directed a movie about Dwight braining people with a wrench under the guise of fighting crime. I can't at all defend the seven year old tasteless, unfunny, tryhard jokes that have been dredged up. I can, however, use critical thinking to realize that these old tweets were brought to attention by Mike Cernovitch--the "pizzagate" guy. I won't delve into the obvious political motivation and this type of conspiracy nonsense, but remember who caused all this.

I think that it is a false equivalency to compare these tweets to the Roseanne situation. She was posting racist stuff in the present day, so was fired within a day. James Gunn made these posts seven years ago, and has since apologized, and didn't try to defend them. It wasn't okay to joke about pedophilia in 2011, just like it isn't today. Just as anti-semitic jokes and racist jokes have not been okay and are not okay. Between the two, who has continued to engage in the (according to the new precedent) firing-worthy behavior into the current year? Therein lies the false equivalency.
He didn't try to make lame excuses, either. He owned up to them and admitted they were wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom