A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

AEfx

I don’t know that the tweets had been well known when Gunn was first hired.

Then they should have been, if it was such an issue. When signing a contract with someone for millions of dollars that affects a franchise in the billions of dollars, if you are so concerned then someone on your vetting staff should be scrutinizing your Twitter feed. Let's not pretend they had to do anything but click on his name and start scrolling to find them.

As to the situation itself, I don't give a good gosh darn who "unearthed" them or why, I am just disgusted with the Disney Company for how they have handled it. I feel similarly about the Roseanne situation, so it isn't a politics issue. It's a "has the entire world gone freaking mad??" issue when some tweets this guy sent a DECADE AGO, that were publicly available all this time when supposedly he was good enough to direct two films and make a billion dollar franchise for them.

At least with Roseanne they were overreacting about something new - to fire a guy from a franchise that by most accounts he gets the lions share of credit for being responsible for the success of because someone has a fit about something he said on Twitter, freaking TEN YEARS AGO, just is saying Disney is a terrible company that you don't want to work with because they buckle immediately under any social media pressure and throw whomever the subject is under the bus without a second thought.

EPCOTCenterLover

Did Disney overact? I'm not sure. I agree they probably weren't prudent in their research. I can handle political tweets- even the nasty ones regardless of party affiliation, although I don't like them and wish we could be civil. When you make comments about you having sex with kids, it's not ok even if it is a joke. The severe punishment may cause people to think twice before they speak.

Mike S

Then they should have been, if it was such an issue. When signing a contract with someone for millions of dollars that affects a franchise in the billions of dollars, if you are so concerned then someone on your vetting staff should be scrutinizing your Twitter feed. Let's not pretend they had to do anything but click on his name and start scrolling to find them.

As to the situation itself, I don't give a good gosh darn who "unearthed" them or why, I am just disgusted with the Disney Company for how they have handled it. I feel similarly about the Roseanne situation, so it isn't a politics issue. It's a "has the entire world gone freaking mad??" issue when some tweets this guy sent a DECADE AGO, that were publicly available all this time when supposedly he was good enough to direct two films and make a billion dollar franchise for them.

At least with Roseanne they were overreacting about something new - to fire a guy from a franchise that by most accounts he gets the lions share of credit for being responsible for the success of because someone has a fit about something he said on Twitter, freaking TEN YEARS AGO, just is saying Disney is a terrible company that you don't want to work with because they buckle immediately under any social media pressure and throw whomever the subject is under the bus without a second thought.
Considering we have similar interests I’m sure you’ve heard of the game developer that was recently fired for mouthing off at a fan on Twitter that respectfully disagreed with something that was said. The same people happy about Gunn’s firing are probably the same ones defending that person saying she shouldn’t have been fired, lol.

TalkingHead

What's worse is evidently Gunn's tweets were the subject of online discussion a few years ago. I don't follow the guy's career, but I've read that his old Twitter comments weren't a secret. It seems Disney really did buckle to pressure on this when it wasn't even new information.

I'm surprised they fired him so quickly after dragging their feet on Roseanne. Either way, for a company that used to be as image-conscious as Disney was even as recently as the Eisner years, they've gotten awfully sloppy under Iger.

AEfx

When you make comments about you having sex with kids, it's not ok even if it is a joke. The severe punishment may cause people to think twice before they speak.

You don't see how scary a precedent that is? One of the bedrocks of our democracy is "I may not like what you say, but I defend your right to say it" - and you'd rather someone not speak than possibly offend someone, now or in the future, ten years from now...just, wow.

TalkingHead

Yes, be free to say what you want. But suffer the consequences for it.

Going back eight years and relitigating what someone said after they've previously apologized is different than responding to a comment in real time.

The whole thing is icky, but it certainly seems the campaign to get him fired was not in good faith. Especially since the same people who made a fuss over his comments are the same ones who decry political correctness.

Disney probably shouldn't have hired him in the first place. But dismissing him in this way isn't a good look, either.

GiveMeTheMusic

Going back eight years and relitigating what someone said after they've previously apologized is different than responding to a comment in real time.

The whole thing is icky, but it certainly seems the campaign to get him fired was not in good faith. Especially since the same people who made a fuss over his comments are the same ones who decry political correctness.

Disney probably shouldn't have hired him in the first place. But dismissing him in this way isn't a good look, either.

Cernovich, who was behind this, has tons of disgusting sexist, pro-rape and racist tweets. But he doesn't have a job to be fired from.

Pixieish

It brings to mind the mob mentality that spurred on the Salem Witch Trials.

BrianLo

You don't see how scary a precedent that is? One of the bedrocks of our democracy is "I may not like what you say, but I defend your right to say it" - and you'd rather someone not speak than possibly offend someone, now or in the future, ten years from now...just, wow.

James Gunn Disagrees with you...

"I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.” ~James Gunn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom