A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Pixieish

They also said hell and multiple "oh my god"s which are typically rare in animated films and almost certainly a first for Disney films. I mean, I dont care but there were some "omg think of the children" folks complaining on FB and whatnot when the movie was released.
The funny part is that it is very likely those same complainers say those same words in front of their children on the regular - or at least have people in their lives that do so.

seabreezept813

Took my 14 year old stepdaughter to Incredibles 2 and remember commenting to my husband that she seemed to be the youngest in the audience.. maybe it was because it was a 7:30 showing, but still interesting. We left the 3 month old at home.. because she’s 3 months old. Pixar always felt a little more adult to me than the classic animation. And honestly those words are pretty mainstream, and I am a fickle for polite language.. don’t let my high school students use the “su” word (shut up) or the “Stu” word (stupid), which they think is hilarious.

Bairstow

This isn’t some bizarre critique to which he is drawing attention. Animation only ever being kiddie movies is the default assumption of the larger movie industry, including the Academy.

That was true years ago but Pixar has long overcome those assumptions. The Academy has not once, but twice nominated their films for Best Picture.

Also, Incredibles 2 is a superhero sequel movie where a baby gets in a fistfight with a raccoon- not exactly the best hill to die on if we're making the "cartoons aren't for kids" argument.

asianway

He's an academy award-winning director working at the top of the world's largest media production company. Engaging with random Twitter critics is utterly beneath him and only serves to amplify voices that need not be amplified.
Shame some dude has already jacked the asianway twitter handle. I have a few things to say to Rian.

Pixieish

Incredibles 2 was everything 7 year old me hoped it would be. To those complaining about the naughty words, who cares?
I'll be honest - my boys have always heard worse at our house. (I try like hell, but hey, I'm not perfect!) They know there are words that only grown-ups are allowed to use. (They're 12 and 7, for the record.)

the.dreamfinder

That was true years ago but Pixar has long overcome those assumptions. The Academy has not once, but twice nominated their films for Best Picture.

Also, Incredibles 2 is a superhero sequel movie where a baby gets in a fistfight with a raccoon- not exactly the best hill to die on if we're making the "cartoons aren't for kids" argument.
Except they deliberately changed their nominating rules last year because some members felt too many foreign/independent animated features got nominated over schlock like “Ferdinand” or “Ice Age X” or “Minions”.

Honestly, members shouldn’t be allowed to vote in the category if they haven’t seen every film nominated.

bclane

They also said hell and multiple "oh my god"s which are typically rare in animated films and almost certainly a first for Disney films. I mean, I dont care but there were some "omg think of the children" folks complaining on FB and whatnot when the movie was released.
Yeah I didn't realize there were so many people complaining until today. I guess for me, I wouldn't have taken my kids to The Incredibles 2 anyway at that age. The first Incredibles, also rated PG, (which imo is still one of the greatest superhero movies ever made) had like 20 deaths, some very violent, and that imo makes these movies inappropriate for small children. Why people think that violence is AOK but words like hell, damn, and crap are worse is something that will always confuse me. IMO, these are not kids movies (by that I mean all ages appropriate really) and are both rated PG for a very good reason. But if parents want to ignore ratings and then whine about it after exposing their children to them, well, I guess it is still a free country. To each their own.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Except they deliberately changed their nominating rules last year because some members felt too many foreign/independent animated features got nominated over schlock like “Ferdinand” or “Ice Age X” or “Minions”.

Honestly, members shouldn’t be allowed to vote in the category if they haven’t seen every film nominated.

I was referring to how Toy Story 3 and Up! were both nominated in the general "Best Picture" category.
The Academy loves Pixar. Has for years.

Princess Leia

Wait they did what???

Princess Leia

I’ve been saying this for years, but the MPAA needs a serious revamp. G-rated films are becoming stupidly rare; and they shouldn’t be. Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, and Finding Dory all should have been rated G, especially when you compare them to the G-rated Renaissance movies that were all more violent and scarier at times (Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Hunchback are my prime examples, I’m not even going to go into the Golden age movies).

Bringing the G-rating back would probably help parents who don’t do the research other than finding out what a movie is rated. I had to tell a friend last year that showing her niece and nephew Raiders of the Lost Ark would be a mistake (since it only was rated PG due to PG-13 not existing and it being cut a bit to avoid an R).

Oh, and for the record, I have been ticked at the MPAA since 2004, when they rated Pirates PG-13, when it probably could have been rated PG.

truecoat

I’ve been saying this for years, but the MPAA needs a serious revamp. G-rated films are becoming stupidly rare; and they shouldn’t be. Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, and Finding Dory all should have been rated G, especially when you compare them to the G-rated Renaissance movies that were all more violent and scarier at times (Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Hunchback are my prime examples, I’m not even going to go into the Golden age movies).

Bringing the G-rating back would probably help parents who don’t do the research other than finding out what a movie is rated. I had to tell a friend last year that showing her niece and nephew Raiders of the Lost Ark would be a mistake (since it only was rated PG due to PG-13 not existing and it being cut a bit to avoid an R).

Oh, and for the record, I have been ticked at the MPAA since 2004, when they rated Pirates PG-13, when it probably could have been rated PG.

It's almost 20 minutes but this is explains what happened to pg and pg13 and why it's so screwed up now. Viewer discretion is advised.

Princess Leia

It's almost 20 minutes but this is explains what happened to pg and pg13 and why it's so screwed up now. Viewer discretion is advised.

I’ll watch that later, but thank for posting :)

Edit- I just watched it, and I agree with everything in it. We need a ratings overhaul desperately.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

I didn't think Rian Johnson did himself any favors engaging fans online in his defense of The Last Jedi.

And I don't think Brad Bird comes off well acting like Incredibles 2 isn't "for children."

Directors should let their movies speak for themselves. Or maybe these directors realize they're guardians of a brand and it irks them they aren't independent auteurs. Either way, entering the social media fray may be good for a week's publicity, but it does paint these guys in an unflattering pretentious light.

brb1006

The last G rated animated film in recent years that come to mind is Winnie The Pooh (2011) and The Peanuts Movie.

the.dreamfinder

I didn't think Rian Johnson did himself any favors engaging fans online in his defense of The Last Jedi.

And I don't think Brad Bird comes off well acting like Incredibles 2 isn't "for children."
I’m not so sure they are both so similar.

With TLJ, so much of the backlash has turned into harassement of talent and they have the right to respond, sometimes just saying nothing is better, but the reaction depends on the person. It’s not like Kathleen Kennedy would be incentivized to have an online sit down with the fan community to discuss their conduct, which, IMO they should have done.

This is a fandom that destroyed Jake Lloyd’s life and almost led Ahmed Best to suicide.

Brad Bird’s knee jerk reaction, consistent with his long held views on Animation, hardly compare.

The Empress Lilly

I’m not so sure they are both so similar.

With TLJ, so much of the backlash has turned into harassement of talent and they have the right to respond, sometimes just saying nothing is better. It’s not like Kathleen Kennedy would be incentivized to have an online sit down with the fan community to discuss their conduct, which, IMO they should have done.

This is a fandom that destroyed Jake Lloyd’s life and almost led Ahmed Best to suicide.

Brad Bird’s knee jerk reaction, consistent with his long held views on Animation, hardly compare.
Yes, I thought us EPCOT fans were a resentful bunch. But we are nothing compared to the world's biggest army of basement dwelling sociopaths that is Star Wars fandom. If I had been George Lucas I'd have just pulled the plug on SW just to spite them. (Well maybe he did just that and pocketed four billion for it to boot. Always a visionary, our George)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom