A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Pixieish

It's almost 20 minutes but this is explains what happened to pg and pg13 and why it's so screwed up now. Viewer discretion is advised.

I think this video highlights how terrible parents are at following general guidelines. Perhaps we need a strictly age-based system so they are able to know immediately whether their child should watch or not.

bclane

How familiar are folks with the Common Sense Media ratings system?

Their rating for I2 (8+)
I’ve used it before but only when looking into something for my nephew since my kids are older now. It’s good because people will list out what may be considered objectionable rather just providing a rating.

Edit: I mean to say rather than just providing a rating.

Pixieish

How familiar are folks with the Common Sense Media ratings system?

Their rating for I2 (8+)
I’ve used it before but only when looking into something for my nephew since my kids are older now. It’s good because people will list out what may be considered objectionable rather just providing a rating.

Edit: I mean to say rather than just providing a rating.

They need to do a massive marketing campaign or get the backing of someone in a position to give them tons of exposure. My boys' schools have done classes to help educate parents in guiding their children through such a media-driven world and not once have I seen Common Sense Media on any of the flyers or anything.

the.dreamfinder

They need to do a massive marketing campaign or get the backing of someone in a position to give them tons of exposure. My boys' schools have done classes to help educate parents in guiding their children through such a media-driven world and not once have I seen Common Sense Media on any of the flyers or anything.
Netflix used to feature their ratings and the Comcast X1 boxes have them.

Donaldfan1934

Am I the only one who thinks Brad Bird is being a bit too hostile in his answer? Yes, The Incredibles films are definitely the most "adult" of the Pixar films and amongst the more mature Disney branded content in general, but the films are still marketed at family audiences directly. He should also be aware of how the PG rating has changed over the years as @Princess Leia mentioned earlier in the thread. To be fair, he's not entirely wrong, but I think he could've contained his resentment of that person's attitude towards the film and given a more respectfully phrased answer.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Am I the only one who thinks Brad Bird is being a bit too hostile in his answer? Yes, The Incredibles films are definitely the most "adult" of the Pixar films and amongst the more mature Disney branded content in general, but the films are still marketed at family audiences directly. He should also be aware of how the PG rating has changed over the years as @Princess Leia mentioned earlier in the thread. To be fair, he's not entirely wrong, but I think he could've contained his resentment of that person's attitude towards the film and given a more respectfully phrased answer.
This is a problem that corresponds to the parks as well. Family ≠ Kiddie. Family entertainment is accessible to a wide variety of ages and people. It is not entertainment focused on young children whose parents find vicarious enjoyment in it or find it the least annoying.

FigmentJedi

Brad's always been pretty aggressive when it comes to seeing people dismiss animation as a kiddie genre versus it being a medium that can tell any sort of story.

Donaldfan1934

This is a problem that corresponds to the parks as well. Family ≠ Kiddie. Family entertainment is accessible to a wide variety of ages and people. It is not entertainment focused on young children whose parents find vicarious enjoyment in it or find it the least annoying.
The difference between family and Kiddie is something a lot of people can't decipher for themselves, which is exactly why Brad Bird should've done a better job explaining it. Instead, he just comes as being a snob about the notion of children watching his film in general.

Donaldfan1934

Brad's always been pretty aggressive when it comes to seeing people dismiss animation as a kiddie genre versus it being a medium that can tell any sort of story.
Yes, and it's a very understandable attitude considering his career history. However, in a case like this, he needs to be a little less forward with his frustration if he wants to enlighten people on the subject.

flynnibus

Premium Member

His response is appropriate because the father is wagging his finger at the wrong person. And instead of complaining about lack of or misleading advertising... he says the creator should have changed his work. That’s probably why he hit a nerve. Instead of concern... he basically tries to tell the creator he was WRONG.... when in fact he’s just the ignorant one.

TalkingHead

His response is appropriate because the father is wagging his finger at the wrong person. And instead of complaining about lack of or misleading advertising... he says the creator should have changed his work. That’s probably why he hit a nerve. Instead of concern... he basically tries to tell the creator he was WRONG.... when in fact he’s just the ignorant one.

Disney and Pixar have conditioned audiences to expect their animated films to be appropriate for all ages (and marketing furthers this assumption).

Obviously animated films can be made for adult audiences to the exclusion of kids. But neither Disney nor Pixar have made that leap, and it's stupid for Bird to say he doesn't write for 4 year olds. As long as he works for Pixar he does.

Pixieish

Disney and Pixar have conditioned audiences to expect their animated films to be appropriate for all ages (and marketing furthers this assumption).

Obviously animated films can be made for adult audiences to the exclusion of kids. But neither Disney nor Pixar have made that leap, and it's stupid for Bird to say he doesn't write for 4 year olds. As long as he works for Pixar he does.
Not true. PG is not meant for 4-year-old kids. If Pixar wanted a G-rated movie, they would have made him conform to that expectation.

lazyboy97o

Which Pixar film is aimed at a four year old audience?

Donaldfan1934

Don't get me wrong, the dad wasn't in the right and I understand why the situation hit a nerve with Bird. All I'm saying is that he should've tried to phrase his response better. That's all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom