A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

bclane

I have a question with all of this brad bird stuff, How is this connected to the thread?
The conversation has been *spirited* and people have used *round* letters in their posts, thus it is connected. Plus this has kind of become a general catch all discussion thread for the most part.

Pixieish

It's already been established here that PG doesn't necessarily mean what it used to.

I'm aware of that - however, in a parent's mind, PG should still stand for parental guidance, and I believe the rating screen shown before the films lists the reasons for the selected MPAA rating. Here's the Pixar filmography with both the Common Sense Media and MPAA ratings:

Pixar Film Ratings.jpg

The ages listed under Common Sense Media are the youngest appropriate age for the film, which are selected based both on the film's content and by general child development standards.
  • 8 out of 20 of Pixar's films carry a PG MPAA rating - that's nearly half and includes The Incredibles 2.
  • The Incredibles 2 is one of 3 films to be given the highest age-approriate rating from Common Sense Media.
Pixar (and in particular, Bird) is a victim of some not-so-good parenting trends that have been gaining traction over the last 2 decades or so.
Parents are:
  • refusing to acknowledge their children's bad behavior
  • freaking out at teachers for bad grades rather than teach good study skills
  • ignoring warnings - see Alien Encounter and Deadpool (never have I ever seen such lengths taken to ensure parents heed warnings, and I'd be curious to see exactly how many children were brought to see this by their parents)
  • blaming the world for their children being exposed to inappropriate content and/or their children being ill-prepared for life
  • calling colleges to complain about grades/calling potential employers to try to help Junior get a much-desired job
YES, these are HUGE generalizations - but they are trends that are out there and are easily observable. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a perfect parent - we made the mistake of using the MPAA rating system to judge the appropriateness of Toy Story 3 when our oldest was 4 (there was much upset and crying during the incinerator scene). It was not a mistake repeated, nor did I write any letters or hop on social media accusing a film-maker of failing to make a movie appropriate for my child. We simply chose to wait for DVD release for future films so we could pre-screen them.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

I don't agree with the world view of commonsensemedia.org, but it's a great tool for parents researching whether or not a movie will be appropriate for their kids. There's just no good way to have a single rating that can measure a good age for your child to see a movie. Brave got docked points in the parent reviews because it showed witchcraft and a child lying to their parent... the horror! That lie had consequences; that was kinda the point of the movie! :hilarious:

Pixieish

I don't agree with the world view of commonsensemedia.org, but it's a great tool for parents researching whether or not a movie will be appropriate for their kids. There's just no good way to have a single rating that can measure a good age for your child to see a movie. Brave got docked points in the parent reviews because it showed witchcraft and a child lying to their parent... the horror! That lie had consequences; that was kinda the point of the movie! :hilarious:
Yeah...life lessons are often too quickly overlooked by people making snap judgments. And I’d love to know why the magic used in Brave is considered different from that in Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Frozen!

Disneybear

[
YES, these are HUGE generalizations - but they are trends that are out there and are easily observable. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a perfect parent - we made the mistake of using the MPAA rating system to judge the appropriateness of Toy Story 3 when our oldest was 4 (there was much upset and crying during the incinerator scene). It was not a mistake repeated, nor did I write any letters or hop on social media accusing a film-maker of failing to make a movie appropriate for my child. We simply chose to wait for DVD release for future films so we could pre-screen them.[/QUOTE]

I've been told that when I was 3 or 4, I stood up in the cinema shouting 'mummy' and crying, when Bambi's mother was shot and that has a U rating in the UK.

Princess Leia

Which Pixar film is aimed at a four year old audience?
Probably wasn’t aimed at us, but I saw Toy Story in theaters (I was 4, my sister was 2). The relative shortness of that movie probably was a help in the attention span department, but my mom wasn’t a fan that her small kids were going around the house saying ‘idiot’ and banned us from watching the VHS tape for a week :hilarious:

Toy Story and Incredibles 2 both deserved their ratings though (G for Toy Story, PG for Incredibles 2).

bclane

[
YES, these are HUGE generalizations - but they are trends that are out there and are easily observable. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a perfect parent - we made the mistake of using the MPAA rating system to judge the appropriateness of Toy Story 3 when our oldest was 4 (there was much upset and crying during the incinerator scene). It was not a mistake repeated, nor did I write any letters or hop on social media accusing a film-maker of failing to make a movie appropriate for my child. We simply chose to wait for DVD release for future films so we could pre-screen them.

I've been told that when I was 3 or 4, I stood up in the cinema shouting 'mummy' and crying, when Bambi's mother was shot and that has a U rating in the UK.[/QUOTE]
Good point and a perfect illustration as to why I think parents need to be more involved in researching a movie’s content and know what their kids can handle before taking them to the movie. What is fine for one kid and their family might be completely unacceptable for another. I was also traumatized by Bambi when I was a kid lol. I had nightmares for weeks after worried that my mother would be killed. Anyway, the primary benefit of the common sense media website, imo, is that people actually list out the potentially objectionable words and onscreen acts so that everyone can make up their own mind about the appropriateness of it for their own kids. So rather than saying something general like, course language and cartoon violence, like the MPAA does, the Common sense media site will list things like; main character uses the words damn, crap, and hell, or one person shot off screen in the head, or mother eaten by barracuda, or villain killed when sucked through an airplane engine, etc., etc.. The problem is that some parents don’t even bother to look at the MPAA ratings if its a Disney movie so I doubt these same people would take the time to look through a bunch of parent reviews for specific content warnings. Anyway, when my kids were very young, they only watched movies on video that my wife or myself had already seen and they didn’t get the theatre experience until they were older. I didn’t want another Bambi incident. Lol! Btw, I love Bambi, I just wish I would have seen it when I was a little older.

Donaldfan1934

I'm aware of that - however, in a parent's mind, PG should still stand for parental guidance, and I believe the rating screen shown before the films lists the reasons for the selected MPAA rating. Here's the Pixar filmography with both the Common Sense Media and MPAA ratings:

View attachment 293932
The ages listed under Common Sense Media are the youngest appropriate age for the film, which are selected based both on the film's content and by general child development standards.
  • 8 out of 20 of Pixar's films carry a PG MPAA rating - that's nearly half and includes The Incredibles 2.
  • The Incredibles 2 is one of 3 films to be given the highest age-approriate rating from Common Sense Media.
Pixar (and in particular, Bird) is a victim of some not-so-good parenting trends that have been gaining traction over the last 2 decades or so.
Parents are:
  • refusing to acknowledge their children's bad behavior
  • freaking out at teachers for bad grades rather than teach good study skills
  • ignoring warnings - see Alien Encounter and Deadpool (never have I ever seen such lengths taken to ensure parents heed warnings, and I'd be curious to see exactly how many children were brought to see this by their parents)
  • blaming the world for their children being exposed to inappropriate content and/or their children being ill-prepared for life
  • calling colleges to complain about grades/calling potential employers to try to help Junior get a much-desired job
I agree with most of what you say here, but I think the comparison between the MPAA and Common Sense Media ratings show just how beyond untrustworthy rating systems are. How is it that Inside Out, Finding Dory, and Cars 3 are percieved by Common Sense Media as being appropriate for the same age group when one is rated G while the other two are rated PG? Also, do you think 6+ is an appropriate enough age rating for a movie that should've been PG like Toy Story 3? Yes, bad parenting trends are partially to blame and no one should attack any filmmaker for not making a film perfectly tailored to their little snowflake specifically. But in all honesty, I feel we're living in an age where we can't properly judge a movie's fitness for an individual child without seeing it for ourselves first.

Last edited:

Pixieish

I agree with most of what you say here, but I think the comparison between the MPAA and Common Sense Media ratings show just how beyond untrustworthy rating systems are. How is it that Inside Out, Finding Dory, and Cars 3 are percieved by Common Sense Media as being appropriate for the same age group when one is rated G while the other two are rated PG. Also, do you think 6+ is an appropriate enough age rating for a movie that should've been PG like Toy Story 3?

Toy Story 3 is a toughie...I think the first two films sort of prepped kids for the incinerator scene with the dangers the toys faced earlier in their story arc. I can't recall exactly when, but I'm pretty sure our youngest actually watched and paid attention to it around age 4 or 5 - but keep in mind, he's had exposure to things earlier than his brother did simply because he's generally ready for them earlier by default since he has an older sibling that he shadows and learns from. However, I do think it should have been a PG for the trauma factor and especially for those kids who hadn't seen the first two.

Yes, bad parenting trends are partially to blame and no one should attack any filmmaker for not making a film perfectly tailored to their little snowflake specifically. But in all honesty, I feel we're living in an age where we can't properly judge a movie's fitness for an individual child without seeing it for ourselves first.

I absolutely agree with you on this - but a big part of the issue is that far too many parents out there cannot be trusted to take that pre-screening step and will resort to attacking writers, directors and film producers. I fear that Pixar, other animation houses, and the general public will pay for it in the long run when film-makers are forced to reduce their work to fluff.

Edit: Inside Out absolutely should have been PG. Riley went through some pretty major events that are inappropriate for younger viewers - stealing from her parents and running away. Younger children aren't able to understand the danger she put herself in simply because their brains aren't yet developed enough, hence 7 being referred to as the "age of reason". Finding Dory I think could have barely made a G, but younger kids who are more sensitive would definitely find the earlier scenes where Dory is separated from her parents worrisome. The G rating for Cars 3 is a little confusing to me because it tackles subjects like ageism and sexism, and also includes Miss Fritter trying to attack McQueen with a freaking circular saw. (And of course, of the entire movie, Miss Fritter is the favorite of our younger son - he's 7.)

Last edited:

truecoat

Toy Story 3 is a toughie...I think the first two films sort of prepped kids for the incinerator scene with the dangers the toys faced earlier in their story arc. I can't recall exactly when, but I'm pretty sure our youngest actually watched and paid attention to it around age 4 or 5 - but keep in mind, he's had exposure to things earlier than his brother did simply because he's generally ready for them earlier by default since he has an older sibling that he shadows and learns from. However, I do think it should have been a PG for the trauma factor and especially for those kids who hadn't seen the first two.

You might like this one where a guy edited the movie to end at the incinerator scene to prank his mom.

Donaldfan1934

Edit: Inside Out absolutely should have been PG. Riley went through some pretty major events that are inappropriate for younger viewers - stealing from her parents and running away. Younger children aren't able to understand the danger she put herself in simply because their brains aren't yet developed enough, hence 7 being referred to as the "age of reason". Finding Dory I think could have barely made a G, but younger kids who are more sensitive would definitely find the earlier scenes where Dory is separated from her parents worrisome. The G rating for Cars 3 is a little confusing to me because it tackles subjects like ageism and sexism, and also includes Miss Fritter trying to attack McQueen with a freaking circular saw. (And of course, of the entire movie, Miss Fritter is the favorite of our younger son - he's 7.)
I didn't see this initially, but I disagree with your thoughts on Inside Out and Cars 3. Inside Out makes it abundantly clear that Riley made the wrong decision by attempting to runaway and if a child under 7 didn't get it, I'd doubt they'd be able to pull something like that off or even be able to commit to it. As for Cars 3, ageism isn't too complicated of a subject matter and nothing in the movie relating to sexism was explicit enough to warrant a PG. There have also been more violent events in G rated films of decades past than Ms. Fritter and her saw. But those are just my observational opinions on the appropriateness of these films and if certain elements in them ended up being a bit much for your children to grasp or handle, then I'm not one to judge.

Last edited:

Pixieish

I didn't see this initially, but I disagree with your thoughts on Inside Out and Cars 3. Inside Out makes it abundantly clear that Riley made the wrong decision by attempting to runaway and if a child under 7 didn't get it, I'd doubt they'd be able to pull something like that off or even be able to commit to it. As for Cars 3, ageism isn't too complicated of a subject matter and nothing in the movie relating to sexism was explicit enough to warrant a PG. There have also been more violent events in G rated films of decades past than Ms. Fritter and her saw. But that's just my observational opinion on the appropriateness of these films and if certain elements in them ended up being a bit much for your children to handle, then I'm not one to judge.

Oh, my boys are fine with the stuff in Cars, my concern is for kids whose parents aren't proactive or involved...that the sexism and ageism could give kids ideas that they wouldn't necessarily have on their own, and that those kids could misinterpret them. Kids tend to focus on the story points that are right up in front of their faces.

Donaldfan1934

Oh, my boys are fine with the stuff in Cars, my concern is for kids whose parents aren't proactive or involved...that the sexism and ageism could give kids ideas that they wouldn't necessarily have on their own, and that those kids could misinterpret them. Kids tend to focus on the story points that are right up in front of their faces.
Fair enough. I wouldn't think the movie would cause issues for most young kids, but I guess it always depends on the individual child.

The Empress Lilly

Am I the only one who thinks Brad Bird is being a bit too hostile in his answer?
Well...wouldn't you be offended if somebody came up to you and told you to redo your work to the level of a four year old?

"And for this course our chef went out of his way to base this Japanese meal on fresh..." "Yo buddy, my three year old doesn't eat that. Add some ketchup and fries"

"Here's the new article I've written about our new local government and..." "My four year old doesn't understand that. Please rewrite in simple language"

I think Bird is admirably restrained. Although I understand the point that some leeway ought to be given because too often Disney has caved in and remade their product for pre-schoolers, to the point where parents think Disney / Pixar / WDW / the MK is toddler territory.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom