A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

UpAllNight

I visited in the summer of 2000 and it was by far my favourite Disney Park. It’s easily the worst now...propped up by ToT. This regime have been too slow to sort this and now they’re finally doing it they’re half baking it, but the damage came to this park 2000 - 2015

It might be a top top park again by 2030 at this rate. If we’re lucky. It’s sad....pure greed. But I agree, people going ott with this expansion won’t help the situation.

bclane

There was cursing in The Incredibles 2??? After consulting google, it looks like the words crap and damn were used and I guess I was so lost in the pure awesomeness of the movie that I didn’t even notice. Anyway, I always think it is interesting when people get so upset for one thing but not another. The person tweeting is apparently OK with their kid seeing people being violently killed/murdered on screen (since they didn’t mention it in their tweet) but someone says “damn” and they want their money back. If you don’t want your kids hearing those words why are you taking them to a PG movie? My guess is they ignored the rating since it’s Disney/Pixar but that is on them imo. For me, I was always more concerned about my kids seeing the violence in movies than anything else so I didn’t let them watch things like The Incredibles unsupervised until they were a little older. When they were younger, I’d censor out things for them (fast forward, mute button, hands over the eyes, etc). Anyway, imo parents should always check the ratings for anything they plan to put before their kids no matter who it is made by.

Rodan75

While I think this was funny. I wonder if 'creators' should respond to fan commentary like that. Disney being a huge company that creates tons of fan friendly content, currently has a lot of creators arguing with fans on Twitter. I think these arguments bring overall negativity to the projects and slowly turn fans away from the property.

While I rarely disagree with the creator's viewpoint in these discussions, it still feels wrong and I feel like it contributes to Toxic Fandom. Like the adage, don't wrestle with pigs.

Pixieish

While I think this was funny. I wonder if 'creators' should respond to fan commentary like that. Disney being a huge company that creates tons of fan friendly content, currently has a lot of creators arguing with fans on Twitter. I think these arguments bring overall negativity to the projects and slowly turn fans away from the property.

While I rarely disagree with the creator's viewpoint in these discussions, it still feels wrong and I feel like it contributes to Toxic Fandom. Like the adage, don't wrestle with pigs.

Honestly, parents in general need to pay more attention. Not many 4-year-old kids CAN sit through a full-length feature, regardless of content. When my kids were littler, PG to me meant possible language, violence, and even more so - content that wouldn't hold their attention.

Remember what happened with Deadpool?!? ALL the warnings in the world and there were still idiots that brought their kids to see it.

I say kudos to him for defending himself and not kowtowing to people who don't pay attention to ratings and expect the world to bend to their children.

Missing20K

Not sure there is anything to gain by engaging the public on Twitter. He comes across incredibly snarky and mean-spirited. Not saying he actually is, just saying it's not a good look to berate a person on Twitter, no matter the circumstances, as an extremely well-known film director for one of the world's largest, most visible multi-national corporations. Usually not well received by bosses and shareholders when you "talk down" to the consumer of your product. I think he would have been better served saying nothing. Let the PG rating and film speak for itself. imo, of course.

Pixieish

Not sure there is anything to gain by engaging the public on Twitter. He comes across incredibly snarky and mean-spirited. Not saying he actually is, just saying it's not a good look to berate a person on Twitter, no matter the circumstances, as an extremely well-known film director for one of the world's largest, most visible multi-national corporations. Usually not well received by bosses and shareholders when you "talk down" to the consumer of your product. I think he would have been better served saying nothing. Let the PG rating and film speak for itself. imo, of course.

I would hope - since the film was rated PG - that Disney would defend their employee. Not that I'd hold my breath, of course...they seem to cave to whoever makes the most noise.

Rodan75

I would hope - since the film was rated PG - that Disney would defend their employee. Not that I'd hold my breath, of course...they seem to cave to whoever makes the most noise.

Disney corporate normally stays out of these unless the creator/personality says something racist or sexist.

Rodan75

Eh, people get death threats on Twitter for the stuff they create. If they wanna fight back in 140 characters or less, more power to them.

I think the fight back makes the problem bigger. It creates the need for people to take sides, and once folks take sides it creates deeper and broader fights. Marvel Comics and ESPN have both fallen victim to that mentality. Some of these artists and creators should just ignore twitter and let a team handle it.

Jones14

I think the fight back makes the problem bigger. It creates the need for people to take sides, and once folks take sides it creates deeper and broader fights. Marvel Comics and ESPN have both fallen victim to that mentality. Some of these artists and creators should just ignore twitter and let a team handle it.
And that’s totally cool, but some people prefer to take things head on. I can’t get mad at someone for defending their work in a climate where anybody can hop on the internet and act like they’ve been personally victimized by a movie.

Rodan75

And that’s totally cool, but some people prefer to take things head on. I can’t get mad at someone for defending their work in a climate where anybody can hop on the internet and act like they’ve been personally victimized by a movie.

I agree. And I think this is honestly one of the toughest decisions both creators and content companies when dealing with fans. That direct line of communication is valuable, however, we've also seen it weaponized by toxic fans. (and for the record toxic fans aren't people who disagree, even strongly, with creators, but rather those that believe creators should face real world punishment for their fictional choices)

I don't think there is a purely right answer here. I'm assuming that over time Disney and other content companies and creators will find a balance on these interactions.

asianway

Lucasfilm has taken this to an art form of late

Bairstow

Eh, people get death threats on Twitter for the stuff they create. If they wanna fight back in 140 characters or less, more power to them.

He's an academy award-winning director working at the top of the world's largest media production company. Engaging with random Twitter critics is utterly beneath him and only serves to amplify voices that need not be amplified.

V_L_Raptor

He's an academy award-winning director working at the top of the world's largest media production company. Engaging with random Twitter critics is utterly beneath him and only serves to amplify voices that need not be amplified.

I don't know that this particular instance is one of the worst possible outcomes. It also seems that there's a need for calling some attention to this idea that Pixar movies are always for kids of any age. That said, this attention would need to happen in a manner that makes parents less likely to assume they have the right to recriminate on social media after taking their little niblets to see movies that weren't appropriate for them to begin with. Bird seems to be direct enough, and after this exchange, I could see him stepping back. He's shined a light on the entitlement problem, and there's not much else he would need to do for that (once he decided that he needed to do anything at all).

lazyboy97o

This isn’t some bizarre critique to which he is drawing attention. Animation only ever being kiddie movies is the default assumption of the larger movie industry, including the Academy.

Piebald

There was cursing in The Incredibles 2??? After consulting google, it looks like the words crap and damn were used and I guess I was so lost in the pure awesomeness of the movie that I didn’t even notice. Anyway, I always think it is interesting when people get so upset for one thing but not another. The person tweeting is apparently OK with their kid seeing people being violently killed/murdered on screen (since they didn’t mention it in their tweet) but someone says “damn” and they want their money back. If you don’t want your kids hearing those words why are you taking them to a PG movie? My guess is they ignored the rating since it’s Disney/Pixar but that is on them imo. For me, I was always more concerned about my kids seeing the violence in movies than anything else so I didn’t let them watch things like The Incredibles unsupervised until they were a little older. When they were younger, I’d censor out things for them (fast forward, mute button, hands over the eyes, etc). Anyway, imo parents should always check the ratings for anything they plan to put before their kids no matter who it is made by.
They also said hell and multiple "oh my god"s which are typically rare in animated films and almost certainly a first for Disney films. I mean, I dont care but there were some "omg think of the children" folks complaining on FB and whatnot when the movie was released.

MuteSuperstar

Haha not remotely an Incredibles fan (really hated the first one, doubt I will see the second) but I love Bird's response.
The reflexive "animated=kid's movie" thing has always annoyed me.

But I do agree that there's really nothing to be gained by arguing with people on Twitter. Social media=poison.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom