A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Magic Feather

I have very mixed feelings on Tomorrowland. Love Tron and Buzz. Like the placement of the Jet Packs and the 'new' spin on a spinner. We never rode it because the lines were too long. Wanted to check out the SW Launch Bay (since SW is so important to TWDC moving forward) only to find out that they weren't opening it that day (likely speaks to its popularity or lack thereof). I am not a great fan of the look ... and the staircases, which get quite slippery in the rain (but if you break a leg, good luck getting $5 million from Disney as this isn't the USA!) It also takes a long walk to get over to it and then you have no berm whatsoever, so you see dining terraces of some of the DisneyTown restaurants. I don't really get what they were thinking, which speaks to the design and layout.

No, I wasn't able to get back out to HKDL on this trip. It wasn't a theme park trip it was a 40% theme parks and 60% cities and historical sites and museums kind of trip. I never intended to visit HK on this trip. I did intend to visit UNI in Osaka originally, but the old ball and chain put her foot down on my fanboi throat and ... yeah, that wasn't happening. I do think it was for the best. Only so much time you can spend in parks.
Definitely agree about needing to get in the sightseeing, and nearly all of your sentiments. My personal regrets are Stitch Encounter (but I guess something for the kiddies), and the fact that the restaurant was so darn big. It is almost on the footprint of two whole attractions. Glad you weren't permitted to waste your time in Launch Bay. Also curious about your thoughts on how they messed with the flow heading in and out of TRON. That better not happen when MK gets it. Oh well, will just lurk in this thread until your Tokyo thoughts arrive. All the best!

PS: Really make an effort to make it to Hong Kong next time you find yourself on that side of the globe, IMO, you wouldn't regret it. I would even skip Shanghai for it.

BrianLo

I know I am considered a critic of SDL and that is true, but I greatly enjoyed the park. BUT in no way would I advise American fans to visit it as their first international destination. I have always said DLP should be first, followed by HKDL and TDR. I still believe that is sound advice and would place SDL last to visit.

Not because it is bad. But because it still China and very foreign and the most culturally foreign (yes, I know arguments can be made about Japan, but those can be off-set by the amazing quality of the product and the service you get in Japan).

Welcome back!!

Now I think your quote above is largely a general recommendation of which international destinations rather than Disney parks Americans should visit. For that I absolutely agree. People embarking on their first foray internationally (especially as a relatively settled adult) are likely not made for mainland China.

My personal order is way out of whack WDW -> Tokyo -> HK (several years and several visits after Tokyo) -> DL -> Paris (which I had also visited twice before actually going to the park). But my travel has been largely un-driven and more varied than places that have a Disney park.

For people who are just interested in international travel I'd generally advise starting with Europe, dipping your toes into a relatively North American culturally friendly place like Japan (or any current or former British colony for that matter), then taking advantage of some of the wonders Asia or South America can offer on a budget with a more mid-range culture shock.

BrianLo

SDL: The Good.

What's good at SDL is, indeed, very good.

You've heard all about their version of Pirates. It's true. All of it. (yeah, had to get that reference to that overrated space soap opera in)

I am tempted to say that it is worth flying over just to experience this attraction and marvel at its brilliance. All I can say to my UNI pals is THAT is how you use screens. What an amazing combination of different mediums to take you on a cohesive adventure. The problem with using is screens is that, inevitably, they end somewhere and you find yourself looking at a black wall or ceiling etc. That doesn't happen here. When Jack Sparrow and Disney's new ride system send you to the bottom of the sea, that is where you wind up and the illusion is very successful. Easily one of the best attractions in the world today.

How about those other E-Tix? Tron, since that is on a lot of folks' minds recently, is also a great ride. But ... it has shortcomings. First and foremost are its length. Too short. You can also tell where Disney cut the budget and the result is painted flats when there should be projections or other effects. It is still fun as can be. One of my few regrets from the visit was only being able to ride during the day. As to how it will work at WDW ... let's circle back to that later.

Roaring Rapids is another exclusive and the fact I loved it should tell anyone how successful the theming and ride itself are because I hate raft rides as a genre and view them as quick thrills and below what Disney should be doing. Riding only at night with lighting and fog effects made the experience greater, I am sure. But also there's that giant 'alleged' AA ... that you come face to face with (depending on where you are on the raft and where you are looking) ... and that is something we need to come back to on ... the bad.

Even Soaring got plussed a bit for SDL. The queue is certainly the best out there. And the scents all work as they should (but haven't in Anaheim and Orlando on about 15 rides from last fall to this spring). The CGI pyro added at the end over downtown Shanghai is amusing.

Attractions like Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear are both substantially upgraded to the point where one might consider them D-Tix in SDL. Of course, with today's technology, they should be. Buzz was one of those surprises of something truly much better than originally anticipated.

Shows and live entertainment are wonderful largely. The daily parade, Storybook Express, is quite nice with creative floats and a catchy soundtrack ... that is fine until you see Happiness Is Here at TDL about five days later and totally forget the former. The standouts for me were the Tarzan acrobatics show and the Pirates stunt show, which interestingly uses music from the original attraction while the new attraction strictly uses the scores from the film series. I didn't see the Frozen show or the Ignite The Dream projection show. The latter was because I had seen Disney Illuminations at DLP three times and knew that ItD was about 90% the same.

Detailing is good across the park, but much more so in Adventure Isle and Pirates Cove (or Adventureland 1 and 2 as I call them). Sure, there's plenty on tiny Mickey Avenue. But it seems forced and largely for egos at WDI to show they know some obscure character or 1940s cartoon short.

CMs were absolutely wonderful. Everyone we dealt with at the resort was either completely fluent in English or knew enough. And they were so friendly and proud to work for Disney, something that used to mean something in Orlando ... back in 1987. We found ourselves talking longer to CMs because it was so pleasant. I may have even done something I haven't done in many moons. No, not that. Pin trading. Before I left for Europe, I went to the local Disney outlet and got a bag full of Marvel and Rogue One pins at 99 cents a piece. Amazing what a Doc Oc pin has for value over there ... wound up with grand opening pins, LEs that had just come out and sold out and some HKDL designs too.

Toy Story Hotel was a wonderful place that surprised me. It is as ugly in reality as it is in pics. But inside, it has a fun and warm vibe and really is impeccably maintained. Now, should it have been the priciest hotel of four in Asia that included four star hotels with one bordering one five? Of course not, but this is Disney. The beds were the most comfortable I think I have experienced in the mainland and the AC was great on days where the temp was around 90 with humidity that makes Orlando look cool. We were lucky, though After we left, there was a period of over two weeks where the temp was over 100 every day with feels like temps in the 120s. I have no idea how you function in weather like that at all.

Transportation was a breeze with great bus service. I don"t think we ever waited more than five minutes. None of that standing crap from WDW either.

Food is always an important topic and I wish I had more to say on the subject, but because of the shortness of the trip (we had two full days in the park and a half day at Disneytown) and the heat, we didn't eat like we normally would. We took every blogger's advice (shoutout to my hero and Disney Blogger to the Stars, Tom Bricker, AKA @WDWFigment) and had our first meal at Barbossa's Bounty. I had steak with rice and corn on the cob. My beautiful other half had ribs. We really enjoyed the food. I believe the meal was about $12 a person (but before anyone talks about it being a great deal, think of your audience ... people there do not find those prices cheap because it would be more at EPCOT ... it"s like telling a minimum wage CM at WDW that they should go to Whole Foods to shop ... not reality!) You do have a small view in one rooms of the Pirates boats starting their journey. But it isn't like a Blue Bayou deal. There was some ugly here that will come in a later post.

The only other QSR locale we had meals at in SDL was Remy's on Mickey Ave., a location that serves until 11 p.m. when the park closes at 10. The sandwiches and baked goods were outstanding. And sitting on the patio watching the lighting on the castle is a great nightcap, even if you don't find the castle as pretty as a New Jersey fanboi who finds Chinese food, Americanized Chinese food, scary.

Meals at TSH were also terrific. Had meals at both the grab and go, which also has seating, and the buffet at the cafe. First thing's first, the salted caramel cookies they serve are the absolute best cookies I have ever had at any Disney hotel or park anywhere. The buffet is almost entirely Chinese items, from dumplings to meats to noodles, but was very, very good. The buffet didn't include drinks and there is an awkward process to buy them as they are in a freezer in the buffet area (near one with the desserts that are included) with a CM standing guard to make sure you don't grab a Pepsi or 7-Up and walk off.

Finally, we had a meal at the Boathouse, which looks like it will close shop. For whatever reason, everyone heads into either the park or the main part of Disneytown. The Boathouse sits on the spit of land that juts out toward the SDLH and Wishing Star Lake. Nothing in that wing, even the Disney owned and operated shop that sells Marvel and Star Wars toys, seems to be able to get people to walk that short distance. Again, I'd suggest the design and master-planning of the area was lacking. The food at The Boathouse might surprise any westerner as while the interior looks like a slimmed down version of Orlando, the menu is 100% Shanghai cuisine. No token burger or chicken sandwich (which you NEVER order in China!) or salad. Nope. But amazing pork and veggie dumplings, wonton soup, noodle and other dishes. Oh, and all for slightly more than the price of whatever the cheapest sandwich on the Orlando menu is.

Excellent thoughts, agree with them all! Had to do a double take as I thought this post was waaayyyy too positive, but I realize it's your good list. Still, it's a sizeable list and you liked more things than I thought you would.

Roaring Rapids I was not as impressed with as you were. However I only rode once during the daytime. I'm sure the foliage has leafed out more than opening day. My general impression was that it would work once years of growth had helped, but perhaps they also went back and added a few. Plus I've got to give the context that this thing was clearly barely (not really) ready for opening.

As for the AA I think I had the one good seat. Lined up perfectly and caught my attention immediately. Could certainly see how it would be missed heading into the cavern backwards.

Ready for you to tear apart the gardens and hope you experienced the rope trails!

Next Big Thing

Poor Spirit! Despite his plea, people have gone off topic in less than 3 pages and 24 hours. Please, a passing, off- hand comment doesn't mean that the discussion has to go in that direction. @WDW1974 , we both know that it's a losing battle to stay on topic in one of your threads. ;)
The thing is though, what really is the actual topic in a Spirit thread besides Disney? The topic is always changing, even by @WDW1974 himself.

These threads are more like a catch all thread than anything that has a true topic.

truecoat

The thing is though, what really is the actual topic in a Spirit thread besides Disney? The topic is always changing, even by @WDW1974 himself.

These threads are more like a catch all thread than anything that has a true topic.

They end up a catch all after the target subject has been talked about but right now it's Shanghai.

Attachments

• pay attention.png
    pay attention.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Poor Spirit! Despite his plea, people have gone off topic in less than 3 pages and 24 hours. Please, a passing, off- hand comment doesn't mean that the discussion has to go in that direction. @WDW1974 , we both know that it's a losing battle to stay on topic in one of your threads. ;)

Maybe Spirit should be given control to be the only person to post to this thread until he has posted all of his major comments, then open it up for discussion?

Nemo14

Can I be the first so say that we need to do away with the Topic Police here? Good god, discussion evolves and the subjects change and segue organically... that's what's so good about having discussions. The only people who seem to like the Topic Police are the Topic Police.
Spirit specifically asked for this to stay on topic, as did a moderator.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Acctualy you'd kinda by wrong about that know.

You do know that TDS is owned by the Oriental Land Company which licenses Disney IP, Hence they buy what they want from Disney. Ironically OLC is building the Frozen attraction that should have been built in WDW.

OLC has no great desire for SW or MCU no matter how badly Burbank wants to push it on them. They do want the 'old school' Disney IP though

SpaceMountain77

Pixar Pier was a shock to me. Something I had heard about, but as a temporary overlay deal. No idea how that makes sense.

For me, the Pixar Pier announcement was one of the most frightening announcements made at D23 this year. The intent of Paradise Pier is to capture the spirit of the Victorian boardwalks that were once found along the California coast. Beginning in 2009, when transformation of the Pier began, the cheap, roadside carnival, Six Flags elements were removed in favor of a nostalgic, early 20th century design. I remember greatly appreciating the removal of the Man Hat N' Beach sign because it was tacky and far from anything you would expect to see at a Disney park. Although budget cuts affected additional details around Mickey's Fun Wheel, overall, the Pier was greatly improved and, I believe, transports guests to a bygone era. Yes, California Screamin' should be a wooden roller coaster, but that is another conversation for another thread.

The transformation of Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier further solidifies the shift from themed lands with attractions that are faithfully fitting of the theme to IP immersion. Moreover, Parks & Resorts is now engaging in full-out corporate branding with the use of the Pixar name, rather than theming to a specific property. Gone are the days of lands that transport us to previous times and other places with a variety of attractions. The direction of Parks & Resorts is to name areas after subsidiaries of TWDC. The formula is clearly displayed on the chalkboard, full subsidiary immersion to drive consumer product sales to targeted demographics.

Walt continues to be forgotten. Each of these executives needs to spend at least three days at the Walt Disney Family Museum to understand the legacy that is being destroyed.

Ag11gani

You do know that TDS is owned by the Oriental Land Company which licenses Disney IP, Hence they buy what they want from Disney. Ironically OLC is building the Frozen attraction that should have been built in WDW.

OLC has no great desire for SW or MCU no matter how badly Burbank wants to push it on them. They do want the 'old school' Disney IP though

Yes I know that but you said that the push for studio IP isn't there when it is. Storm Rider got replaced by Nemo. Toy Story got put in the American Waterfront and there will be an entire land dedicated to Frozen which really dosn't have a nautical theme what so ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom