A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

DisneyDaver

As someone who has always been enthralled with female heroines, I am very glad that these films are being made. It is beyond time for it.

This. As the father of a 2.5 y/o daughter, I love seeing female heroines and don't read further into it. This morning my daughter was running around the family room swinging an empty wrapping paper roll and told me it was her lightsaber. She has not seen the Star Wars movies, but she has seen Rey items in stores. It's important to me that my daughter sees females in heroine roles (and males in hero roles too but we don't have a shortage of those movies).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

No.

That article is repeating, in the most gobbledy gook way possible -- I had to delete extraneous information and diagram sentences to understand it -- what circulated last Summer. And then, on top of it, end the article with a line that completely contradicts everything else said in the article.

Here's the relevant information: In Japan, in the site of a former Expo, is a park. The park already has a recreation of a house from Totoro. The plan is to build up around that more Totoro stuff. A sort of Tortoro mini-land by 2020.

And that's all we know. There is no "Ghibli park" in the making. Sketches of a "Ghibli park" are just an artist's/fan's fantasy. There is no info about what is going in the Totoro mini-land.

brb1006

No.

That article is repeating, in the most gobbledy gook way possible -- I had to delete extraneous information and diagram sentences to understand it -- what circulated last Summer. And then, on top of it, end the article with a line that completely contradicts everything else said in the article.

Here's the relevant information: In Japan, in the site of a former Expo, is a park. The park already has a recreation of a house from Totoro. The plan is to build up around that more Totoro stuff. A sort of Tortoro mini-land by 2020.

And that's all we know. There is no "Ghibli park" in the making. Sketches of a "Ghibli park" are just an artist's/fan's fantasy. There is no info about what is going in the Totoro mini-land.
To bad it's already popular in r/movies on reddit today.

the.dreamfinder

No.

Thank you. I see both the fan render and that clickbait headline every couple of months. Very misleading.

Having said that, Totoro wouldn’t be a bad choice for an IP addition to DAK.

the.dreamfinder

I wish someone would build a Ghibli park that included attractions based on Spirited Away. Oh man I would be so there!
brand.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You might want to go and read the original article, just so you know what he is actually being "accused" of.

Now, I can't stand the guy personally, and I have never gotten the praise of him except for a lot of virtue signaling.

That said, they had a bad date. He apparently is as awkward with women as he comes across in his "comedy". They had no professional relationship, there was no "power dynamic" at work, this little pip-squeak wasn't being physically threatening, just obnoxiously persistent, and she left. As she should have. It's something you then tell your girlfriends at breakfast the next day about and roll your eyes, not something (what was once) a major publication needs to write an expose about.

I am positive some will disagree, but the fact that this is spreading around as the "news of the day" is really the definitive shark-jumping moment here, if we haven't already gotten there. If this is what qualifies as "sexual misconduct" in our society at this point, I think it's a massive disservice to those who actually have been victimized. It's so anti-feminist, as it is infantilizing women to such a degree that if I were a woman I would be offended that I supposedly have so little agency that what occurred, even if every word is true, is enough for someone to claim they were vitcimized.

A feminist agrees with you: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/opinion/aziz-ansari-babe-sexual-harassment.html?_r=0

Princess Leia

You might want to go and read the original article, just so you know what he is actually being "accused" of.

Now, I can't stand the guy personally, and I have never gotten the praise of him except for a lot of virtue signaling.

That said, they had a bad date. He apparently is as awkward with women as he comes across in his "comedy". They had no professional relationship, there was no "power dynamic" at work, this little pip-squeak wasn't being physically threatening, just obnoxiously persistent, and she left. As she should have. It's something you then tell your girlfriends at breakfast the next day about and roll your eyes, not something (what was once) a major publication needs to write an expose about.

I am positive some will disagree, but the fact that this is spreading around as the "news of the day" is really the definitive shark-jumping moment here, if we haven't already gotten there. If this is what qualifies as "sexual misconduct" in our society at this point, I think it's a massive disservice to those who actually have been victimized. It's so anti-feminist, as it is infantilizing women to such a degree that if I were a woman I would be offended that I supposedly have so little agency that what occurred, even if every word is true, is enough for someone to claim they were vitcimized.
The Aziz thing seems to be a 1 on a sliding scale (compared to Weinstein being a 10 or higher). I don’t want to see him lose his career over this- and I don’t think he will- but I think this is a signal that communication on dates maybe needs to be covered in high school health classes. I can empathize with the woman a bit, because I was in a similar situation once (luckily a bit tamer than this) where I just mentally shut down, but whenever I looked back on it, I wish I could have just spoken up. And I’m positive that situations have happened where a woman was the aggressor too.

Idk, I just think that conversations about verbal and nonverbal consent need to be taught more when we’re younger.

the.dreamfinder

Disney imagineers have kept trying and Miyazaki has said no Disney. Disney also lost the rights to all the library of works as well.

So even if OLC did pick it up, OLC has used Disney to design attractions which makes me think that is also a no go.
Are you referring to that guy who did a couple Fantasyland dark rides based on Ghibli films? Those weren’t official attempts and never went anywhere within Disney.

OLC’s licensing contract with Disney requires they use WDI for design work.
It's the dream!

I actually, at this juncture, would not be morally opposed to Universal using it in Japan. There are so many other Disney owned properties now for the OLC sandbox. Ghibli may force a JK Rowling level of oversight. Something we know Universal works well with.
FWIW, there’s a pretty good chance Nintendo, one of the few companies that can exert JK level oversight and demands, will regret signing with UNI. Nintendo’s a very demanding and specific company and they’re better off doing themed entertainment projects where they have complete ownership.

UNI may have challenged Disney with its IP multiplex model, but companies like Ghibli or Nintendo could successfully anchor more coherent parks by themselves. An operator with no IP like OLC is best suited to succeed in this coming environment in helping these companies build and operate these parks.

Princess Leia

Does Disney still have a licensing agreement with Ghibli? Or was that only for Spirited Away? Because if Disney/OLC/Ghibli wanted a theme park, it would probably be best to create a new park over in Japan.

bclane

I am in full support of the #metoo movement and I have to say that this article definitely gives me some things to think about. We, as a society, have to make sure that we don’t throw the baby out with the bath water as doing so will only set the movement back. What I’m wondering is if this part of the article true:

“Consent isn’t the only thing they are radically redefining. A recent survey by The Economist/YouGov found that approximately 25 percent of millennial-age American women think asking someone for a drink is harassment. More than a third say that if a man compliments a woman’s looks it is harassment.”

If so, thank God I’m married already because the pendulum has swung a little bit too far in the other direction imo on what is considered harrassment. Finally, I think we need to be very careful about lumping people like Ansari in with predators like Weinstein and the like. I would say that all human beings would do well to go through some kind of sensitivity and dating etiquette and communication training at this point.

bclane

The Aziz thing seems to be a 1 on a sliding scale (compared to Weinstein being a 10 or higher). I don’t want to see him lose his career over this- and I don’t think he will- but I think this is a signal that communication on dates maybe needs to be covered in high school health classes. I can empathize with the woman a bit, because I was in a similar situation once (luckily a bit tamer than this) where I just mentally shut down, but whenever I looked back on it, I wish I could have just spoken up. And I’m positive that situations have happened where a woman was the aggressor too.

Idk, I just think that conversations about verbal and nonverbal consent need to be taught more when we’re younger.
I 100% agree. We need that training. I do try with my middle schoolers but we need to do so much more as a society.

Princess Leia

I am in full support of the #metoo movement and I have to say that this article definitely gives me some things to think about. We, as a society, have to make sure that we don’t throw the baby out with the bath water as doing so will only set the movement back. What I’m wondering is if this part of the article true:

“Consent isn’t the only thing they are radically redefining. A recent survey by The Economist/YouGov found that approximately 25 percent of millennial-age American women think asking someone for a drink is harassment. More than a third say that if a man compliments a woman’s looks it is harassment.”

If so, thank God I’m married already because the pendulum has swung a little bit too far in the other direction imo on what is considered harrassment. Finally, I think we need to be very careful about lumping people like Ansari in with predators like Weinstein and the like. I would say that all human beings would do well to go through some kind of sensitivity and dating etiquette and communication training at this point.
If all women my age followed those two statistics, I am 100% sure most of us wouldn’t be dating. Or at least I wouldn’t be, because the guy I’m seeing both complimented me and bought me a drink the night we met lol

For all we know, the Aziz thing was something that happened once. Bad night for him, bad night for his date. It’s unfortunate that it happened but I think we need to take it and use it as a learning tool for the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom