A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Pixieish

And here comes the Marvel Boycotts for "political correctness" due to Valkyrie's sexuality

Nah. Look at Deadpool. They stormed social media for months making sure parents knew that this was NOT kid-friendly, typical Marvel. They cut any scenes pointing directly to her sexuality.

Quinnmac000

Literally just saw the movie. Topic was never brought up, and I never would have suspected anything out of the ordiinary had I not seen this post.

THere was a scene but its rumoured was cut.
http://www.slashfilm.com/valkyrie-bisexual-thor-ragnarok/

topic came up on twitter when people were still complaining they used a biracial woman to play Valkyrie and how "manly" her attire was and sexuality was mentioned that she wouldn't care because she was a lesbian and the actress who plays her stated her character wasn't a lesbian but bisexual and doesn't feel the need to be attractive to men.

Now that statement is making its rounds outside and you know how people are.

Animaniac93-98

THere was a scene but its rumoured was cut.
http://www.slashfilm.com/valkyrie-bisexual-thor-ragnarok/

topic came up on twitter when people were still complaining they used a biracial woman to play Valkyrie and how "manly" her attire was and sexuality was mentioned that she wouldn't care because she was a lesbian and the actress who plays her stated her character wasn't a lesbian but bisexual and doesn't feel the need to be attractive to men.

Now that statement is making its rounds outside and you know how people are.

"SATURDAY AM UPDATE: With an estimated $46.8 million on Friday, Disney and Marvel's Thor: Ragnarok is currently pacing to deliver an opening weekend around $115 million if not a little higher. Like the last eight films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the film earned an "A" CinemaScore from opening day moviegoers." - Box Office Mojo

Whenever something like this comes it, it always falls on deaf ears. It happened with BatB in March, and it became the #1 movie of the year.

Nj4mwc

You know, the more I have been thinking about it - I disagree on this - because while the overall box office year hasn't been great, even though Disney has been part of it with, say, Pirates 5 not meeting domestic expectations - they have the product that people are most willing to schlep out to the theater to see. TLJ will undoubtedly be the biggest film of the year.

Why should theaters get more than 35% of the ticket sales? They didn't do a dang thing to make or market the film that is bringing the people in. A theater is still going to make far more with that 35% than they will make off of any other film this year that they get the more standard 50% of. It's not Disney's job to subsidize the lack of profit for theaters because of other studio's flops. And let's not forget the other revenue stream - the $7 hot dogs, the $5 sodas, etc. Or that the ongoing costs of running a theater are minimal - they don't have to employ professional projectionists anymore, after the initial investment in digital equipment, already made years ago, it takes much less maintenance than traditional film projection, digital ticketing means they can employ less people at the box office, etc.

Right now, Disney is making the premium product - the films that bring people out to the theaters so people can watch them on "the big screen" as opposed to the smaller one at home. Particularly now that all films are digitally projected, theaters don't even have the advantage of better picture quality - theatrical projection is 4K, and 4K is increasingly available from the comfort and convenience of your couch. Even at standard HD resolutions, to the eye of most consumers there isn't even a difference. So why shouldn't they get a premium price for selling that product?

The only thing I take issue with is the 4-week rule, because it does adversely affect the smattering of truly independent single-screen theaters out there. I do think Disney should be making exceptions for those, because a single-screen theater in a small town needs to change films a bit more frequently. That said, the "penalty" is what, another 5% - so even for those small theaters, if they choose to only show for, say, two weeks - getting 30% of ticket sales for absolutely full theaters for a full two-weeks is going to be more profitable than half-full theaters showing anything else. And the way the agreement is worded, it's not automatic - Disney can choose to enforce it, or not. We are really talking a handful of theaters comparatively, and I won't be surprised if Disney does end up making some exceptions and only enforcing it with the chains.

The reason there is a stink about this really doesn't have to do with Disney - the theaters all know that TLJ is going to make their year when it comes to profits, even at these percentages - it's about precedent. They don't want other studios to follow suit. I don't think that fear is incredibly well-founded, as with few exceptions no other studio has the demand for their product like Disney does. And certainly not consistently like Disney.

TL;DR? The theaters should just shut-up and say, "Thank you Sir Mouse, please, may we have another? - because to be honest, the stigma of "direct to video" - or "direct to digital", now - is vanishing quickly, as are the benefits of seeing it on the "big screen", which is increasingly relying on a romantic notion at this point. If Disney wanted to charge me the same $30 I'm going to pay for a couple of tickets to watch TLJ once in the theater, to instead view it in my home in December, even as much of a Star Wars fan I am - I'd probably pay it versus dealing with the hassle of having to go out to a theater as it is. At this point, the biggest reason I'm going to the theater at all to see it is to avoid spoilers.
I totally agree especially when it comes to costs to run the theater, every time I go to the theater now I feel like there are no employees around, buy your tickets online and not see a single person unless you want popcorn,

Nj4mwc

I agree. The theaters have lost any support I might have had for them since it now costs my family of 4 over $100 to see a movie in real IMAX (with snacks and drinks of course) and only slightly less to see it in something like Dolby Cinema (which rocks and I now prefer btw). Sure I could see a movie at a cheaper theatre but then I’d rather just wait and see it at home since my home theatre is better than most of those places anyway. As it stands now, I only pay to see the big event type movies anymore. And now that Regal is planning to raise the price even more for the more popular movies (which means others will likely follow) they may lose my business altogether. Ok no, i’ll still pay to see Star Wars and a few other things a year probably but i’m not sure how they plan to keep filling theatres at these crazy price levels.
I don't see the point of paying extra for IMAX or 3D or whatever other gimmick their charging for, I feel like the first 5 minutes it's amazing but then you get used to the format and no longer notice anything impressive, it all comes down to story and no amount of fancy screen is gonna change that

Pixieish

I don't see the point of paying extra for IMAX or 3D or whatever other gimmick their charging for, I feel like the first 5 minutes it's amazing but then you get used to the format and no longer notice anything impressive, it all comes down to story and no amount of fancy screen is gonna change that
I agree 100%. Big screen is plenty for me and I'm happy as long as the story is told well.

bclane

I personally don’t usually like 3D anymore except in the rare case when it was actually filmed that way (vs. a conversion) and even then I prefer 2D most of the time, but I do notice good sound and projection throughout a movie. I mention IMAX but honestly, I’m kinda over that too. The screen is gigantic, but you lose a lot due to the differnent aspect ratio so I agree that is not that big a deal to me anymore. But if you haven’t checked out Dolby Cinema, you should give it a shot at least once. It really is worth the extra money...at least for me personally. Even my wife notices the difference and raves about it and prior to Dolby Cinema, she’d just as soon go see a movie in a dollar theatre as she just doesn’t care about anything but the story. Even she is spoiled now though. Just the higher contrast and blacker blacks alone makes a huge difference but the sound is superior to anything I’ve ever heard. It always just absolutely perfect. It’s not just loud like in some auditoriums. It’s really quite impressive and of course the reclining seats are super comfy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Bullying is what you do when logic and the facts are not on your side.

Pityful biggest kid in the playground behaviour of Disney. And a dangerous game to play. Powerful Hollywood bullies get away with everything forever, but every now and then one is toppled quicker than they ever thought possible.

Remember this is the same company which bans analysis from investors events who don't parrot the company line. i.e. stock analysts who look at factors other than EPS, and question how the EPS is derived may actually look at the parks and hotels and ships as an individual guest not with an army of plaids showing off the potemkin village that Burbank pushes as reality.

the.dreamfinder

Still doesn't mean Star Wars won't. Doesn't mean Toy Story Land won't.

Disney Springs has lots of changing tenants, how can you include that?

The others have been explained.

What Ford is really trying to say is to save bucks they'll push the opening of something. We have no proof that was the case in anything being delayed. Projects hit snags. Doesn't mean there's some nefarious plan by Disney like Ford wants to imply.
Is institutional incompence nefarious?

Nj4mwc

I personally don’t usually like 3D anymore except in the rare case when it was actually filmed that way (vs. a conversion) and even then I prefer 2D most of the time, but I do notice good sound and projection throughout a movie. I mention IMAX but honestly, I’m kinda over that too. The screen is gigantic, but you lose a lot due to the differnent aspect ratio so I agree that is not that big a deal to me anymore. But if you haven’t checked out Dolby Cinema, you should give it a shot at least once. It really is worth the extra money...at least for me personally. Even my wife notices the difference and raves about it and prior to Dolby Cinema, she’d just as soon go see a movie in a dollar theatre as she just doesn’t care about anything but the story. Even she is spoiled now though. Just the higher contrast and blacker blacks alone makes a huge difference but the sound is superior to anything I’ve ever heard. It always just absolutely perfect. It’s not just loud like in some auditoriums. It’s really quite impressive and of course the reclining seats are super comfy.
I may have to make it a point to see the new Star Wars in a Dolby cinema. I haven't even heard of the Dolby cinemas, but I do go to a lot less movies in the theaters then I used to and when taking the kids I'm looking to save any dollars I can but Star Wars has been just me and my son the last 2 years so I might have to open the wallet a little further

bclane

I may have to make it a point to see the new Star Wars in a Dolby cinema. I haven't even heard of the Dolby cinemas, but I do go to a lot less movies in the theaters then I used to and when taking the kids I'm looking to save any dollars I can but Star Wars has been just me and my son the last 2 years so I might have to open the wallet a little further
It's worth it, especially for something like Star Wars. There are only a handful of theaters in the country that have it as it is still pretty cutting edge, but they are installing them as fast as they can as it is truly ground breaking compared to all the other gimmicky stuff that really isn't worth the money. We have two Dolby Cinema screens here in Orlando now which is freaking awesome.

FigmentJedi

At least Phantom had the fanbase. But Godzilla?!? That thing was a novelty for those of us who grew up watching Creature Double Feature, at best.
Godzilla absolutely has the fanbase and is up there with Mickey in terms of "Most recognizable fictional characters on the planet".

The problem was the 1998 Godzilla movie pretty much ed off every one of those fans and even those who had some expectation of what Godzilla was. Like imagine the butthurt reaction to the Star Wars Prequels multiplied by that of the 2000 version of Journey into Imagination and Batman and Robin.

Toho immediately went into damage control and started their movies again and half of the movies in that Millennium Anthology series took jabs at the 1998 movie ranging from Godzilla 2000 having Godzilla fighting some ID4-esque UFO and an alien trying to become a "Godzilla clone" to GMK's opening briefing room mentioning a monster attack in 1998 that Americans thought was Godzilla but Japanese experts debunked those theories to finally, Godzilla curbstomping the overgrown iguana in Final Wars, where that version of the character was officially rebranded as "Zilla" because it didn't deserve the "God" part of its name.

And while Toho's producing Godzilla movies again in-between Legendary's series, it's more of a synergistic relationship as with a big budget Godzilla done correctly representing a traditional version of the character in the global film market, Toho is free to do whatever the heck they want with the character domestically between Shin Godzilla's grotesque walking tumor and the upcoming Netflix anime trilogy's Grootzilla approach

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom