A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

lazyboy97o

Deep in the American desert, a test track for Universal’s Donkey Kong ride has been built.
View attachment 240284 View attachment 240285 View attachment 240286
These were posted on and subsequently taken down from Twitter.

This explains the ride system.
https://www.coaster101.com/2017/01/04/boom-coaster-vs-cantilevered-coaster/
I don’t think this has been mentioned, but apparently this is NOT the Donkey Kong coaster system. These photos are of the S&S Sansei facility in Utah and S&S Sansei has announced that they will be showing an updated steeplechase coaster concept at IAAPA.

Quinnmac000

A new report from The Wall Street Journal explains that the Walt Disney Company, buoyed by the purchases of Marvel and Lucasfilm, has become the most successful movie studio today and therefore wields tremendous power over exhibitors who wish to screen their films. For Rian Johnson‘s The Last Jedi, Disney is forcing theaters to agree to secret terms which many theater owners are calling “the most onerous they’ve ever seen.”

Those terms include the fact that Disney will receive 65% of revenue from ticket sales, the highest percentage a Hollywood studio has ever demanded. They’re also forcing theaters to screen the film in their largest auditorium for at least four weeks. For previous Star Wars movies, the studio has required 64% of the revenue from ticket sales and four week commitments, but typical Disney movies only require a two week commitment.

If any Last Jedi movie theaters break any condition of the agreement – pulling just one screening from the schedule, for example, or even advertising the movie before Disney gives their approval – the studio will charge a 5% penalty fee, raising their take to a staggering 70% of ticket sale revenue. Generally speaking, studios get between 55-60% of that revenue from domestic releases; international deals vary, but the average hovers around 40% for movies that play overseas.

Disney is starting to burn more unnecessary bridges especially in a year with a somewhat weak box office.

Mike S

I don’t think this has been mentioned, but apparently this is NOT the Donkey Kong coaster system. These photos are of the S&S Sansei facility in Utah and S&S Sansei has announced that they will be showing an updated steeplechase coaster concept at IAAPA.
Then explain how the track looks so similar.

AEfx

A new report from The Wall Street Journal explains that the Walt Disney Company, buoyed by the purchases of Marvel and Lucasfilm, has become the most successful movie studio today and therefore wields tremendous power over exhibitors who wish to screen their films. For Rian Johnson‘s The Last Jedi, Disney is forcing theaters to agree to secret terms which many theater owners are calling “the most onerous they’ve ever seen.”

Disney is starting to burn more unnecessary bridges especially in a year with a somewhat weak box office.

You know, the more I have been thinking about it - I disagree on this - because while the overall box office year hasn't been great, even though Disney has been part of it with, say, Pirates 5 not meeting domestic expectations - they have the product that people are most willing to schlep out to the theater to see. TLJ will undoubtedly be the biggest film of the year.

Why should theaters get more than 35% of the ticket sales? They didn't do a dang thing to make or market the film that is bringing the people in. A theater is still going to make far more with that 35% than they will make off of any other film this year that they get the more standard 50% of. It's not Disney's job to subsidize the lack of profit for theaters because of other studio's flops. And let's not forget the other revenue stream - the $7 hot dogs, the $5 sodas, etc. Or that the ongoing costs of running a theater are minimal - they don't have to employ professional projectionists anymore, after the initial investment in digital equipment, already made years ago, it takes much less maintenance than traditional film projection, digital ticketing means they can employ less people at the box office, etc.

Right now, Disney is making the premium product - the films that bring people out to the theaters so people can watch them on "the big screen" as opposed to the smaller one at home. Particularly now that all films are digitally projected, theaters don't even have the advantage of better picture quality - theatrical projection is 4K, and 4K is increasingly available from the comfort and convenience of your couch. Even at standard HD resolutions, to the eye of most consumers there isn't even a difference. So why shouldn't they get a premium price for selling that product?

The only thing I take issue with is the 4-week rule, because it does adversely affect the smattering of truly independent single-screen theaters out there. I do think Disney should be making exceptions for those, because a single-screen theater in a small town needs to change films a bit more frequently. That said, the "penalty" is what, another 5% - so even for those small theaters, if they choose to only show for, say, two weeks - getting 30% of ticket sales for absolutely full theaters for a full two-weeks is going to be more profitable than half-full theaters showing anything else. And the way the agreement is worded, it's not automatic - Disney can choose to enforce it, or not. We are really talking a handful of theaters comparatively, and I won't be surprised if Disney does end up making some exceptions and only enforcing it with the chains.

The reason there is a stink about this really doesn't have to do with Disney - the theaters all know that TLJ is going to make their year when it comes to profits, even at these percentages - it's about precedent. They don't want other studios to follow suit. I don't think that fear is incredibly well-founded, as with few exceptions no other studio has the demand for their product like Disney does. And certainly not consistently like Disney.

TL;DR? The theaters should just shut-up and say, "Thank you Sir Mouse, please, may we have another? - because to be honest, the stigma of "direct to video" - or "direct to digital", now - is vanishing quickly, as are the benefits of seeing it on the "big screen", which is increasingly relying on a romantic notion at this point. If Disney wanted to charge me the same $30 I'm going to pay for a couple of tickets to watch TLJ once in the theater, to instead view it in my home in December, even as much of a Star Wars fan I am - I'd probably pay it versus dealing with the hassle of having to go out to a theater as it is. At this point, the biggest reason I'm going to the theater at all to see it is to avoid spoilers.

Last edited:

bclane

You know, the more I have been thinking about it - I disagree on this - because while the overall box office year hasn't been great, even though Disney has been part of it with, say, Pirates 5 not meeting domestic expectations - they have the product that people are most willing to schlep out to the theater to see. TLJ will undoubtedly be the biggest film of the year.

Why should theaters get more than 35% of the ticket sales? They didn't do a dang thing to make or market the film that is bringing the people in. A theater is still going to make far more with that 35% than they will make off of any other film this year that they get the more standard 50% of. It's not Disney's job to subsidize the lack of profit for theaters because of other studio's flops. And let's not forget the other revenue stream - the $7 hot dogs, the $5 sodas, etc. Or that the ongoing costs of running a theater are minimal - they don't have to employ professional projectionists anymore, after the initial investment in digital equipment, already made years ago, it takes much less maintenance than traditional film projection, digital ticketing means they can employ less people at the box office, etc.

Right now, Disney is making the premium product - the films that bring people out to the theaters so people can watch them on "the big screen" as opposed to the smaller one at home. Particularly now that all films are digitally projected, theaters don't even have the advantage of better picture quality - theatrical projection is 4K, and 4K is increasingly available from the comfort and convenience of your couch. Even at standard HD resolutions, to the eye of most consumers there isn't even a difference. So why shouldn't they get a premium price for selling that product?

The only thing I take issue with is the 4-week rule, because it does adversely affect the smattering of truly independent single-screen theaters out there. I do think Disney should be making exceptions for those, because a single-screen theater in a small town needs to change films a bit more frequently. That said, the "penalty" is what, another 5% - so even for those small theaters, if they choose to only show for, say, two weeks - getting 30% of ticket sales for absolutely full theaters for a full two-weeks is going to be more profitable than half-full theaters showing anything else. And the way the agreement is worded, it's not automatic - Disney can choose to enforce it, or not. We are really talking a handful of theaters comparatively, and I won't be surprised if Disney does end up making some exceptions and only enforcing it with the chains.

The reason there is a stink about this really doesn't have to do with Disney - the theaters all know that TLJ is going to make their year when it comes to profits, even at these percentages - it's about precedent. They don't want other studios to follow suit. I don't think that fear is incredibly well-founded, as with few exceptions no other studio has the demand for their product like Disney does. And certainly not consistently like Disney.

TL;DR? The theaters should just shut-up and say, "Thank you Sir Mouse, please, may we have another? - because to be honest, the stigma of "direct to video" - or "direct to digital", now - is vanishing quickly, as are the benefits of seeing it on the "big screen", which is increasingly relying on a romantic notion at this point. If Disney wanted to charge me the same $30 I'm going to pay for a couple of tickets to watch TLJ once in the theater, to instead view it in my home in December, even as much of a Star Wars fan I am - I'd probably pay it versus dealing with the hassle of having to go out to a theater as it is. At this point, the biggest reason I'm going to the theater at all to see it is to avoid spoilers.
I agree. The theaters have lost any support I might have had for them since it now costs my family of 4 over $100 to see a movie in real IMAX (with snacks and drinks of course) and only slightly less to see it in something like Dolby Cinema (which rocks and I now prefer btw). Sure I could see a movie at a cheaper theatre but then I’d rather just wait and see it at home since my home theatre is better than most of those places anyway. As it stands now, I only pay to see the big event type movies anymore. And now that Regal is planning to raise the price even more for the more popular movies (which means others will likely follow) they may lose my business altogether. Ok no, i’ll still pay to see Star Wars and a few other things a year probably but i’m not sure how they plan to keep filling theatres at these crazy price levels.

NearTheEars

I agree. The theaters have lost any support I might have had for them since it now costs my family of 4 over $100 to see a movie in real IMAX (with snacks and drinks of course) and only slightly less to see it in something like Dolby Cinema (which rocks and I now prefer btw). Sure I could see a movie at a cheaper theatre but then I’d rather just wait and see it at home since my home theatre is better than most of those places anyway. As it stands now, I only pay to see the big event type movies anymore. And now that Regal is planning to raise the price even more for the more popular movies (which means others will likely follow) they may lose my business altogether. Ok no, i’ll still pay to see Star Wars and a few other things a year probably but i’m not sure how they plan to keep filling theatres at these crazy price levels.

We’ve been rocking the Movie Pass card/app for the past couple of months. It’s been working great.
Not sure how long it will remain $10 but we’ll enjoy it while it lasts. Though I don’t think you’d be interested as it doesn’t work for IMAX screenings.

bclane

We’ve been rocking the Movie Pass card/app for the past couple of months. It’s been working great.
Not sure how long it will remain $10 but we’ll enjoy it while it lasts. Though I don’t think you’d be interested as it doesn’t work for IMAX screenings.
I’ve been meaning to check that out. Are you stuck in a contract with it or can you drop it if you don’t like it? Also, do you know if it works for Dolby Cinema screens if it’s not 3D? It looked too good to be true so I just kind of ignored it but maybe it is the answer i’ve been looking for.

The Empress Lilly

The LA Times dared to write something negative about Disney. Disney has now barred its entertainment reporters from getting sneak previews of its films for review.

Times note on Disney blackout

The annual Holiday Movie Sneaks section published by the Los Angeles Times typically includes features on movies from all major studios, reflecting the diversity of films Hollywood offers during the holidays, one of the busiest box-office periods of the year. This year, Walt Disney Co. studios declined to offer The Times advance screenings, citing what it called unfair coverage of its business ties with Anaheim. The Times will continue to review and cover Disney movies and programs when they are available to the public.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...imes-note-on-disney-1509668978-htmlstory.html
Bullying is what you do when logic and the facts are not on your side.

Pityful biggest kid in the playground behaviour of Disney. And a dangerous game to play. Powerful Hollywood bullies get away with everything forever, but every now and then one is toppled quicker than they ever thought possible.

NearTheEars

I’ve been meaning to check that out. Are you stuck in a contract with it or can you drop it if you don’t like it? Also, do you know if it works for Dolby Cinema screens if it’s not 3D? It looked too good to be true so I just kind of ignored it but maybe it is the answer i’ve been looking for.

You can drop it at any time, but can’t reopen an account for 6 months if you wanted to come back.
It does say that some premium theaters will not work. There is a quite useful Reddit forum dedicated to MoviePass if you wanted to hear more reviews. It did take more than 2 weeks to get the cards as they have been inundated with subscriptions.

I know AMC is all upset about it because they fear the company will go under (which it very well could) and customers will channel their anger at them. Theaters are being fully paid for each ticket. MoviePass says their goal is to collect and sell our movie viewing data.

bclane

You can drop it at any time, but can’t reopen an account for 6 months if you wanted to come back.
It does say that some premium theaters will not work. There is a quite useful Reddit forum dedicated to MoviePass if you wanted to hear more reviews. It did take more than 2 weeks to get the cards as they have been inundated with subscriptions.

I know AMC is all upset about it because they fear the company will go under (which it very well could) and customers will channel their anger at them. Theaters are being fully paid for each ticket. MoviePass says their goal is to collect and sell our movie viewing data.
Cool thanks. I’ll check it out. :)

Kman101

Did New Fantasyland open on time?
Did Pandora open on time?
Was Disney Springs finished on time?
Did MM+ deliver on time?

Still doesn't mean Star Wars won't. Doesn't mean Toy Story Land won't.

Disney Springs has lots of changing tenants, how can you include that?

The others have been explained.

What Ford is really trying to say is to save bucks they'll push the opening of something. We have no proof that was the case in anything being delayed. Projects hit snags. Doesn't mean there's some nefarious plan by Disney like Ford wants to imply.

Kman101

Yep
Depends what you mean
Yep
Depends once again

Disney announced a 2012 opening for most of New Fantasyland and it opened. The only thing that did not was the SDMT which was announced as opening in 2014 due to it starting construction later.

Pandora was announced at the beginning of the development phase hence why it seemed it took so long. Opened in 2017 like it was stated.

Disney Springs opened in phases in the years they said it would.

MM+ I do not count because it is a technological aspect more prone to delays and hiccups although I can admit that it could have been rolled out MUCH better.

Frozen Ever After, SDMT etc all opened when announced.

There is NO proof that Star Wars Land will open later than 2019.

Said it better than I did. Shhh. Facts don't matter to someone with an agenda.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Still doesn't mean Star Wars won't. Doesn't mean Toy Story Land won't.

Disney Springs has lots of changing tenants, how can you include that?

The others have been explained.

What Ford is really trying to say is to save bucks they'll push the opening of something. We have no proof that was the case in anything being delayed. Projects hit snags. Doesn't mean there's some nefarious plan by Disney like Ford wants to imply.

We also have no proof that Disney did not push the dates to save a few bucks, And with all the 'save-a-buck' actions from Disney since 2012 or so I believe the slow construction to save a buck theory is the better one.

Don't forget the Gazebo in AK which took what 2 years to build, Even my local DPW with the orange trucks that sleep three managed to build a similar one in 2 months and that included plenty of nap time for our dedicated public serpents.

Kman101

We also have no proof that Disney did not push the dates to save a few bucks, And with all the 'save-a-buck' actions from Disney since 2012 or so I believe the slow construction to save a buck theory is the better one.

Don't forget the Gazebo in AK which took what 2 years to build, Even my local DPW with the orange trucks that sleep three managed to build a similar one in 2 months and that included plenty of nap time for our dedicated public serpents.

Nope, we don't know either way.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't cut corners, doesn't stretch construction over years and years for financial reasons, doesn't find ridiculous things to get more money out of you while offering less ...

The Gazebo construction was ridiculous, but that's not the same as announcing a new land and opening it or pushing it back but I get why you brought it up. We all know why Disney stretches construction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

"I have no proof but assume the worst and then rage because of that assumption."

That's pretty much all your posts in a nutshell.

Travel Junkie

Bullying is what you do when logic and the facts are not on your side.

Pityful biggest kid in the playground behaviour of Disney. And a dangerous game to play. Powerful Hollywood bullies get away with everything forever, but every now and then one is toppled quicker than they ever thought possible.

And they are bullying their way with theater owners too in regards to the last Jedi. https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...jedi-leaves-theater-owners-cold/#5e4b6bb29133

JoeCamel

It is too good to be true so use it while it is honored. That company is not long for this universe.

bclane

It is too good to be true so use it while it is honored. That company is not long for this universe.
I agree. It definitely doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model. But then again, that’s what they said about Amazon.com in their early days so who knows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom