A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

diddy_mouse

:eek: <-- That's basically the only way to fully express my thoughts on Vickys. I can only begin to imagine how all of that actually tasted! That place has got to be foodie heaven. I mean, lobster four ways?! sake-soy halibut? micro orchids? FOAM?!?! I will say that V&As doesn't just make food....they make art.

I am the complete opposite of you when it comes to wines. I am all about the whites, sauvignon blanc being my favorite, but new to reds. So far I like malbecs and pinot noirs but I'm pretty much open to trying anything.

I couldn't help but laugh at (and somewhat agree with) the connection you made between the butlers costumes at Vicky's and those at The Mansion. They are eerily similar!

And Brett's monocle? *golf clap* Very classy indeed. Well played, sir! Pip pip and all that...

It's so nice to read your posts again! I know the final installment is just around the corner but the wait, my dear, has been so worth it!

EDIT: D'oh! I totally forgot to comment on your bride and groom ears! Adorable as always! :D

HollyBelle

Original Poster
:eek: <-- That's basically the only way to fully express my thoughts on Vickys. I can only begin to imagine how all of that actually tasted! That place has got to be foodie heaven. I mean, lobster four ways?! sake-soy halibut? micro orchids? FOAM?!?! I will say that V&As doesn't just make food....they make art.

Yes. Victoria and Albert's is the stuff DREAMS are made of! Seriously, I've dreamed about that white chocolate gelato. For reals!

I am the complete opposite of you when it comes to wines. I am all about the whites, sauvignon blanc being my favorite, but new to reds. So far I like malbecs and pinot noirs but I'm pretty much open to trying anything.

We're the same way with regards to trying different ones. Recently, we've become pretty obsessed with the bubbly (ever since the wedding). We tend to find all kinds of reasons to celebrate with a bottle of champagne. As for reds,you should try a beaujolais - it's a good "gateway" red for folks who love whites. It's very light and is a great choice of red for summer days.

Which whites would you recommend for someone who doesn't like 'em super sweet? I think that's our problem, we like the wines that are more dry and a lot of whites are just too fruity for us.

I couldn't help but laugh at (and somewhat agree with) the connection you made between the butlers costumes at Vicky's and those at The Mansion. They are eerily similar!

And Brett's monocle? *golf clap* Very classy indeed. Well played, sir! Pip pip and all that...

It's so nice to read your posts again! I know the final installment is just around the corner but the wait, my dear, has been so worth it!

EDIT: D'oh! I totally forgot to comment on your bride and groom ears! Adorable as always! :D

For the rest of the trip, we kept saying "And now, a ghoooooooost will follllllllllllow you home!" It was quite comical.

The ears really were cute, but as you can see, they didn't get a lot of action. Now, the buttons, oh how I loved our Just Married buttons! On subsequent trips I have felt sad not to have a button of some sort. :lol:

YAHOO!!!!! You are back!

I am SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Jamie

I am! Thanks, Jamie. Let's see... giving myself a deadline of one week for the next update. Let's see if I can do it this time.

Ariel484

Oh my! The Vicky's meal sounds INCREDIBLE. The white chocolate gelato sounds like heaven. I'll have to try to talk Will into doing this somewhere down the line (which wouldn't be as hard as trying to talk him into cruising, I don't think :dazzle:), and you have me convinced that the wine pairing is a must.

So cool that the harpist was playing Ben Folds! :sohappy: I'm trying to imagine how "Magic" would sound on a harp...interesting.

Love the drunkish shots of you guys looking all purdy...the monocle just completes the look.

Just one day left on the Disneymoon?? Nooo...:cry:

And lastly (completely unrelated)...how's the W&D training going?? :D

plaz10

Jess, my friend, where is this trip report you keep speaking of?! Don’t you just love work days that allow you to catch up on your writing?! I feel lucky to be able to do that. Obviously, I haven’t had enough of those days lately. :lol:

Ok I swear it's on it's way. You're one to talk! :lol: But I'm waiting for Bill's sister to give me her pictures since we lost a whole day of pictures :cry: yes for one reason or another the pictures from a day at MK and our night at Ohana disappeared (disappear disappear!). I'm quite bummed about the ordeal but I'm hoping she has some pictures to help liven up that day. But my text is all done - promise!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Oh my! The Vicky's meal sounds INCREDIBLE. The white chocolate gelato sounds like heaven. I'll have to try to talk Will into doing this somewhere down the line (which wouldn't be as hard as trying to talk him into cruising, I don't think, and you have me convinced that the wine pairing is a must.

Tell him you can just about pay for one person's entire cruise for the cost of this one meal! :eek: :lookaroun Better bang for your buck on the cruise. Don't get me wrong though, you should absolutely spoil yourselves with Vicky's.

So cool that the harpist was playing Ben Folds! :sohappy: I'm trying to imagine how "Magic" would sound on a harp...interesting.

AMAZING. Slightly off-topic, but Brett and I had the pleasure of seeing Ben perform with a symphony orchestra last year. One of the BEST concerts ever... and I've been to some good ones!

Love the drunkish shots of you guys looking all purdy...the monocle just completes the look.

Just one day left on the Disneymoon?? Nooo...

And lastly (completely unrelated)...how's the W&D training going?? :D

Wine and Dine, oh, Wine and Dine! Right now we're building up a good base (you know, getting back into 5K shape :rolleyes:) as it's been awhile. We're going to start an 8 week plan here soon, so we'll see how it goes. One thing I can say though, is I don't know if I've ever enjoyed running as much as I'm enjoying it now. So there's hope that I'll be fully trained!

Ok I swear it's on it's way. You're one to talk! :lol: But I'm waiting for Bill's sister to give me her pictures since we lost a whole day of pictures :cry: yes for one reason or another the pictures from a day at MK and our night at Ohana disappeared (disappear disappear!). I'm quite bummed about the ordeal but I'm hoping she has some pictures to help liven up that day. But my text is all done - promise!

Oh no! Lost pictures are the absolute worst. Seriously, something you lose sleep over. I'm so sorry to hear that... and an MK and Ohana day at that. So sad. :cry: I lost a whole trip once. :eek: February 2005, aka The Lost Trip. I have not a clue what we did because I don't have any pictures to refer to.

You're right, I am one to talk. Honestly, having all the text done up front is the way to go. And then it's just a matter of posting (which you'll find takes way longer than you ever intend for it to). :lol:

PolynesianPrincess

Unfortunately, they’ve taken the Brave New World off the menu (it’s the bbq chicken pizza). When we inquired about it, the server said she would see if they’d make us one, and they did! Woohooo. But unfortunately, with this option off the menu, we’ll probably frequent the Rainforest a whole lot less. We love the place, but if we’re not splitting a meal, we can get much better value for our dollar elsewhere on Disney property.

Sayonara, Brave New World, we’re going to miss you!

When I went to Rainforest Cafe @ DTD in May they still had it on their menu and they had it in Burlington, Mass a couple weeks ago!! I wonder if it's just that location...??

HollyBelle

Original Poster
When I went to Rainforest Cafe @ DTD in May they still had it on their menu and they had it in Burlington, Mass a couple weeks ago!! I wonder if it's just that location...??

Hmmm... this is an interesting development! Maybe we'll have to check back the next time we're at DTD. Thanks, Darolyn!

Sarabell

Yay!! you´re back! it has taken forever, but because there have been several WDW trips holding you back from posting, how can we not wait?

I loved the V&A dinner! and I love your faces after dinner even more!! I guess if it had been me, I wouldn´t have survived the wine pairings. In fact, I would probably have tasted each course twice! (coming in, then coming out) :hurl:. I´m not very alcohol tolerant to say the least... my drinking days ended before I finished college, so to me 2 glasses of wine will have the same effect that 2 bottles of wine would have on an average person. and I´m talking about 2 glasses of the same wine, so imagine different ones...

I´m so sad your trip is coming to an end... but I´m sure it has made a lot of us very happy!:wave:

diddy_mouse

Which whites would you recommend for someone who doesn't like 'em super sweet? I think that's our problem, we like the wines that are more dry and a lot of whites are just too fruity for us.

The ears really were cute, but as you can see, they didn't get a lot of action. Now, the buttons, oh how I loved our Just Married buttons! On subsequent trips I have felt sad not to have a button of some sort. :lol:

I am not into super-sweet wines at all and I enjoy almost lip-smackingly dry ones. Sauvignon blancs can be crisp, dry and refreshing. One of my favorites is Starborough from New Zealand. It's fruity and has a citrus aftertaste, but I wouldn't consider it sweet. :slurp: Another good one is Root 1 from Chile (they have a great cabernet as well). If I remember right, this one is more on the dry side and has a very clean taste, no sweetness. I'm still trying to nail down a chardonnay that I like. Italian pinot grigios are nice and crisp as well.

In regards to the buttons...we got a lot of use out of our anniversary ones. Wore them the whole weekend and I'm so glad we did! I almost wish we were going this year for our anniversary just to wear them again. :lol:

TakeMeThere81

...We secured 8:10am breakfast ressies at the Crystal Palace, so we’d be able to get into the park early and enjoy breakfast before park opening.

Turns out, there was a schedule change at the Magic Kingdom and the park was now opening at 8am (not EMH).

Blast!! This happened to us too on our last trip! Sounds like your breakfast and early morning moments were still fabulous though! Those pictures were so cute!

“Why yes, yes, I did just dine at Victoria and Albert’s! What’s that?! You like my monocle!? It’s the epitome of class.”

IMG_4056_1.jpg

(for all the followers of my pre-trip report... this ones for you!)

Drunk?! Yes.

Drunker!? Most definitely!

LOL this post was so silly!! You two looked so great and I'm glad you had such a fabulous meal!

Fashionista007

Aww the pictures of you on an empty main street got me all teary! You looked beautiful and happy :) How nice of the CM to do an impromptu photo shoot! Where did Brett get his Tuxedo hat ears? I looked everywhere but couldn't find that style for Jason :( He's getting the Tuxedo shirt ears instead.

I really loved your dress that you wore to Vicky's...so pretty! And yes I agree that the GF has some exquisite bathrooms lol. I almost feel like I can't do mah bidness in there! Can't wait for the next installment!

pcrum

Thanks so much for the detailed description and photos of your V & A dinner. I really would love to try the wine pairings! A question for you...how long did the dinner take from start to finish? I'd imagine it would be several hours, but I was just curious. Also, is the menu online to look at ahead of time or do you have to wait until you book to get a menu?

I am the opposite of you regarding wines...I'm much more into whites than reds, but I don't like sweet wines at all. I find a chardonnay to be very crisp and dry. I do like the beaujolais though. My husband prefers reds, so we compromise with a beaujolais quite often, with George Duboeuf being a favorite!

Thanks again for the wonderful trip report. I can't think of a better way to celebrate a one week anniversary than a dinner at V & A!

Pam

Cbum

Oh Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!

"It was around 10:30am and Fantasyland was nearly empty, so we rode some of the classics."

Absolutely my favorite thing to hear anyone say about any park anywhere. Im not much of a crowd enthusiast and have experienced that a few times myself but not often enough. Best of luck and great trip report.:sohappy:

joanna71985

Did the external flash turn out ok?

You know, not once did I hear a spiel about “no photography” prior to the shows. And I usually pay attention to those things. Now, they may have mentioned “no flash photography,” but that’s a whole other beast entirely. I think you’ll be just fine to take photos. There were plenty of people around me with DSLRs and none of us were asked to stop.

It’s coming, ladies! While I didn’t make the deadline I set for myself of having a post up by the end of the weekend, I did at least get the next full day finished! And I'm posting shortly.

Good to know! Because I was really looking forward to taking show pictures

Yay! Can't wait!

BrittanyRose428

Aww the pictures of you on an empty main street got me all teary! You looked beautiful and happy :) How nice of the CM to do an impromptu photo shoot! Where did Brett get his Tuxedo hat ears? I looked everywhere but couldn't find that style for Jason :( He's getting the Tuxedo shirt ears instead.

I really loved your dress that you wore to Vicky's...so pretty! And yes I agree that the GF has some exquisite bathrooms lol. I almost feel like I can't do mah bidness in there! Can't wait for the next installment!
I was thinking the same thing! We won't technically need them for another two years, but we like the top hat so much better than the tuxedo ones.

Fashionista007

I was thinking the same thing! We won't technically need them for another two years, but we like the top hat so much better than the tuxedo ones.

I was interested in the top hat ears and bride headband because we've never had a set of ears before and I don't know how comfortable we'll be walking around the parks with the rubber band under our chins all day. I've also seen some cute DIY wedding ears people made using baseball caps. I might buy a set of the plain baseball caps as a contingency plan :)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Yay!! you´re back! it has taken forever, but because there have been several WDW trips holding you back from posting, how can we not wait?

I loved the V&A dinner! and I love your faces after dinner even more!! I guess if it had been me, I wouldn´t have survived the wine pairings. In fact, I would probably have tasted each course twice! (coming in, then coming out). I´m not very alcohol tolerant to say the least... my drinking days ended before I finished college, so to me 2 glasses of wine will have the same effect that 2 bottles of wine would have on an average person. and I´m talking about 2 glasses of the same wine, so imagine different ones...

I´m so sad your trip is coming to an end... but I´m sure it has made a lot of us very happy!

I know... it's taking forever and a day to write this monster of a report. But the finish line is in sight! I think I may wait until I have the next entire trip prepared before posting it, to keep from doing the same thing again.

Brett and I usually split one bottle of wine and it's the perfect amount (that's two-three glasses apiece, depending on the size of the glass/pour). So yeah... six different glasses had us completely loopy! :lol:

I am not into super-sweet wines at all and I enjoy almost lip-smackingly dry ones. Sauvignon blancs can be crisp, dry and refreshing. One of my favorites is Starborough from New Zealand. It's fruity and has a citrus aftertaste, but I wouldn't consider it sweet. :slurp: Another good one is Root 1 from Chile (they have a great cabernet as well). If I remember right, this one is more on the dry side and has a very clean taste, no sweetness. I'm still trying to nail down a chardonnay that I like. Italian pinot grigios are nice and crisp as well.

In regards to the buttons...we got a lot of use out of our anniversary ones. Wore them the whole weekend and I'm so glad we did! I almost wish we were going this year for our anniversary just to wear them again.

Thanks, Erin! I'll have to check those out. We love Australian and New Zealand shiraz's, so I may start with the Starborough you suggested!

We actually got a lot more attention with our "just engaged" buttons than we did with the "just married" ones, which kinda surprised me. And speaking of the anniversary ones, I went ahead and asked for a set at the front desk of the Poly so that we would have them in the future, just in case they phase them out.

Blast!! This happened to us too on our last trip! Sounds like your breakfast and early morning moments were still fabulous though! Those pictures were so cute!

LOL this post was so silly!! You two looked so great and I'm glad you had such a fabulous meal!

Don't you just hate it when they mess with your carefully planned itinerary?! And yeah, we are incredibly silly!

Great update as aways. I am still laughing about the email Brett sent to Vicky's!

Me, too! I have a feeling it will be one of those stories we tell and retell for years.

Aww the pictures of you on an empty main street got me all teary! You looked beautiful and happy :) How nice of the CM to do an impromptu photo shoot!

That CM was so sweet and really did make us feel special that morning. Thanks for the compliments on my dress... I have a thing for black dresses.

Did you see my PM from the other day?! Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks so much for the detailed description and photos of your V & A dinner. I really would love to try the wine pairings! A question for you...how long did the dinner take from start to finish? I'd imagine it would be several hours, but I was just curious. Also, is the menu online to look at ahead of time or do you have to wait until you book to get a menu?

I am the opposite of you regarding wines...I'm much more into whites than reds, but I don't like sweet wines at all. I find a chardonnay to be very crisp and dry. I do like the beaujolais though. My husband prefers reds, so we compromise with a beaujolais quite often, with George Duboeuf being a favorite!

Thanks again for the wonderful trip report. I can't think of a better way to celebrate a one week anniversary than a dinner at V & A!

Pam

Hmmm... I'd say we were seated just before 5:15pm and looking at the time stamp on the pictures, we were served dessert at 7:35. The first picture I have after we left was around 8pm. So that gives you a pretty good idea. We didn't wait at all, and it looks like the amuse came out 15-20 minutes after we arrived. They do two seatings: 5:15pm and, I believe, 8:30pm. I couldn't imagine starting that meal at that time of night. But maybe it's more popular, because I'd say there was only a sum total of 4, maybe 5, tables in there when we were eating. The menu changes daily, but there are some sample ones here.

I really think you should do it, Pam! Something else to consider if you decide to book and you know you'll be doing the wine pairings... is a Tables in Wonderland card. Seeing as how you get 20% off the wine pairing as well as the food, it pays for itself for a party of two. You'll then be able to use the card for a full year at *almost* all table service restaurants (and the alcohol is always included in the 20% off!). I don't know how often you go over there, but say you decided to do the Flying Fish chef's table six months later, you would receive 20% off that meal as well. They have two purchase options, one for passholders, and one for Florida residents that's a little more expensive but still a great deal if you will eat there often enough. And it's good on parties of up to ten people (when there's one bill).

"It was around 10:30am and Fantasyland was nearly empty, so we rode some of the classics."

Absolutely my favorite thing to hear anyone say about any park anywhere. Im not much of a crowd enthusiast and have experienced that a few times myself but not often enough. Best of luck and great trip report.

Yes! This is definitely why mornings are my very favorite time in the parks.

Did the external flash turn out ok?

Good to know! Because I was really looking forward to taking show pictures

Yay! Can't wait!

The flash works just fine; however, it doesn't latch to the camera quite tight enough. It hooks pretty good, but it'll wiggle loose after a while if I'm not paying attention. So I try not to walk around with it without keeping a hand on it.

Where did Brett get his Tuxedo hat ears? I looked everywhere but couldn't find that style for Jason :( He's getting the Tuxedo shirt ears instead.

I was interested in the top hat ears and bride headband because we've never had a set of ears before and I don't know how comfortable we'll be walking around the parks with the rubber band under our chins all day. I've also seen some cute DIY wedding ears people made using baseball caps. I might buy a set of the plain baseball caps as a contingency plan :)

The ears! We made them, and it was incredibly easy. On our December trip we went in the Chapeau and bought two ears (like $3 apiece) and then when we got home I went to Party City and bought a fairly cheap ($7) top hat. Popped the ears through with brads and voila... Top Hat Groom Ears!

I'm glad we got some cute pictures with them at the Magic Kingdom, but we ended up wearing them a lot less than I thought we would.

Disneyfalcon

Wow, Victoria and Alberts was sounds amazing. I've toured it but never eaten there. I'm afraid I'm way to picky of an eater to get my money's worth. I love to look though. Kind of like Top Chef! I love to look but I can't imagine eating the vast majority of it. :lol:

My heart stopped right along with Brett's. I thought your neck strap broke. My strap broke on the Med cruise, but thankfully, the camera was more or less resting in my hand at time. As I felt the release of pressure around my neck I panicked and grabbed!! I actually though it was being stolen by pickpockets.:lol: We'd been so conditioned to beware of pick pockets, that was the only reason I was semi carrying it too. Otherwise either my camera or $1600 lens I was renting was a goner. :eek:

Although I wouldn't have cried about the fact that it was broken as much as the fact that I would have had to finish the rest of the cruise without it!:lol:

SO glad the flash is okay!! I never did find a strap I like as well, so it's tied in a knot to keep it functioning. I am constantly checking the knot when I'm wearing it. Kind of like you and your flash!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom