A Bazillion Brazilians

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaiChai

Why is it just the brazillians you're all bashing? why not the cheerleading groups or...well..whatever. I don't understand why people love complaining about things soooo much. I'm sure not ALL brazillians are like that...it just seems a little anti-brazillian. I'm from a Latin American country and I'm shocked to see there's so much animosity going on.

Club Cooloholic

People like to bash what is different from them. Some of these folks might have cheerleaders in their family....or heaven forbid pinko commies!

mouse_luv

I feel like the problem isn't necessarily a certain nationality or groups who are not American, it's rude people. And like someone else who has been to Brazil stated, their culture is much different from that in this country. As I've stated before in other threads about different cultures, etc. if I were to visit another country I would do so with respect to their culture because it is the country AND culture I CHOSE voluntarily to experience. Thus, if someone else from another country visits our country (and, no, I really don't care if they paid more, less, or the same as I would to visit a theme park) I feel that they should do so with respect to our country and it's culture. I don't care if you're a rude teenager or a visitor from another country, if you wrong me or one of my children I will say something about it and defend myself appropriately.

To the person who indicated that the tour groups chanting about their country isn't any different than a group of American kids chanting or singing about our country, there IS a BIG difference. They're in America. For my kids to chant or sing about America in America is most definitely appropriate. I wouldn't want my children going to some other country carrying on making fools of themselves and a mockery of someone else's home. This is because I've raised my sons appropriately and taught them respect. Again, it comes back to culture. When you are in another country you most certainly should be respectful of the culture of that land.

If you travel state to state within the US you are subject to the laws of the place you are in. If you travel from country to country you are subject to those laws of that country.

For the life of me I do not understand why people repeatedly think that as Americans we should just lay down and accept the crap and sometimes abuse we get dealt by people who come into our country just because they are from somewhere else. I won't do it. And if those visitors don't like it they can just go home. I don't go to other countries expecting special treatment and/or priveledges. Don't come here expecting such.

And, I think it was Cooleo, who indicated how overly expensive things are in Brazil with lesser quality. Obviously these tour folks have plenty of resources that they can afford to travel internationally. Kind of hard to feel sorry for them. I could afford to travel abroad but choose to spend my money differently. I'm sure those people could as well.

I was waiting for someone to say this. Well said. Thank you!:D

Club Cooloholic

I know I said I was crabby today, but I do have to say that it is very freaking ironic that there are so many people making comments about how if they visit another country they only act with the utmost respect for the nation they are visiting, and try to adopt the local customs.
The term "ugly american" did not come from nowhere. We are not all perfect either. I am sure that all the people that fly into Cancun, Mexico do not act like the locals and treat them all with the utmost respect. Having been to many countries, there is a sterotyped image that people from other countries have of us, that you have to overcome, and in recent years there is much more anit-american sentiment against us.
I am sure these tour groups can be annoying and if they are dangerous as I said get security (PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS WRITE WHAT HAPPENED!).
But if I were brazillian and came to this board to get ready for a trip, I would feel pretty bad about myself and a bit nervous of how I might be treated when I visit.
Maybe when these kids act up, weather they are brazillions or a raggin cheerleader group from Arkansas, we should step up as adults and get CMs or handle it ourselves instead of grumbling under our breath. And if we all do, it won't embarress our families so much.

BRER DAD

I know I said I was crabby today, but I do have to say that it is very freaking ironic that there are so many people making comments about how if they visit another country they only act with the utmost respect for the nation they are visiting, and try to adopt the local customs.
The term "ugly american" did not come from nowhere. We are not all perfect either. I am sure that all the people that fly into Cancun, Mexico do not act like the locals and treat them all with the utmost respect. Having been to many countries, there is a sterotyped image that people from other countries have of us, that you have to overcome, and in recent years there is much more anit-american sentiment against us.
I am sure these tour groups can be annoying and if they are dangerous as I said get security (PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS WRITE WHAT HAPPENED!).
But if I were brazillian and came to this board to get ready for a trip, I would feel pretty bad about myself and a bit nervous of how I might be treated when I visit.
Maybe when these kids act up, weather they are brazillions or a raggin cheerleader group from Arkansas, we should step up as adults and get CMs or handle it ourselves instead of grumbling under our breath. And if we all do, it won't embarress our families so much.

We are not talking one or two Brazillians, we are talking about groups of a hundred with adult supervision no less!!!! The cheerleaders are the same way, at times it can really get out of hand.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I bet they are special forces Brazilians too, trained to q jump with stealth and to storm food carts with extreme prejudice.

Timmay

People like to bash what is different from them.
Nope, not in the slightest (again, I know you want it to be as bad as you make it out out be way, but it isn't). What people want is a little respect for what is approriate. Nothing more. Please stop making this into something it isn't.

Some of these folks might have cheerleaders in their family....
Take a look around the boards...there are plenty of threads involving all kinds of rude behavior from cheerleaders, smokers, kids, etc. etc. I think you still want to make this about whatever axe it is you have to grind, but try to be objective.

or heaven forbid pinko commies!
Don't forget fascists...:rolleyes:

wickedsoccer22

Well, when I saw this thread I could not help but laugh. My mom, sister and I take a summer trip to Disney every year... and each time, it becomes "the joke of the trip" that we should gather up all of our friends, come to disney, and scream out chants on the top of our lungs every 2 minutes. lol...

But the good thing about the chanting is.......... you can always tell when they are coming:lookaroun

:ROFLOL:

It's always the joke of the trip with my family too. Last year my dad even made flags with our last name on it and all this other stuff. We never actually used them but it my dad always jokes around raising his hand into the air every time he sees them.

I agree with how rude they are. They never stop the chanting, they stop in the middle of pathways, and they are always cutting lines. "The rest of our group is up there" Yeah right every few minutes you see 10 more sqeeze through everyone in line. I'm not saying its their nationality that's the problem, its poor chaperoning and the fact that they are normal teenagers with their friends.

Juliana

What are you even talking about? How is anyone "generalizing"? Have you been to Brazil. I have...twice. The culture is vastly different there than here in the US. There is no such thing as "personal space"...there just isn't. People are loud, they sing and chant in public and bump into you without even an attempt at an aplology. But, that is their culture. To us, it is rude and unacceptable. But there, it is just the daily norm.

And that is the problem, I think. It is normal there, not here. When I was down there, I accepted the culture and behavior because it was their home, not mine. So to some, this is our home. The feeling is that you respect the home you are in.

There is nothing racist about that.

Hey, just out of curiosity - which city have you been to?

Some things in our culture are different from yours, sure - but not that much! And most definitely not where I live. I don't see people 'singing and chanting in public' (unless in some specific places), neither bumping into you everywhere (and in very crowded places, it's not much worse than in WDW).

So, yeah, I didn't take offense from the other posts - 'cause I agree wholeheartedly that the brazilian tour groups are very rude and obnoxious while they are in WDW - but even then, that's what I think of the teen tour groups, but not of every brazilian. But this one was just a bit too much. No hard feelings, because I don't doubt you experienced what you talked about (at least kinda), but trust me that Brazil "isn't" that :wave:

SeaBreeze

Some things in our culture are different from yours, sure - but not that much! And most definitely not where I live. I don't see people 'singing and chanting in public' (unless in some specific places), neither bumping into you everywhere (and in very crowded places, it's not much worse than in WDW).

So, yeah, I didn't take offense from the other posts - 'cause I agree wholeheartedly that the brazilian tour groups are very rude and obnoxious while they are in WDW - but even then, that's what I think of the teen tour groups, but not of every brazilian. But this one was just a bit too much. No hard feeling, because I don't doubt you experienced what you talked about (at least kinda), but trust me that Brazil "isn't" that :wave:

My co-worker is from Brazil and she pretty much said exactly what you said. She went to WDW once during the summer and found the tour groups to be so obnoxious, she won't go back. She certainly doesn't behave that way; a bunch of teens away from home without enough supervision is definitely at the root of this problem

sweetpee_1993

I agree that Americans aren't exactly well-liked in other countries. I've only been outside of the US for 1 week of my 34 years in this world and it was to attend my bro-in-law's wedding in Niagra-On-The-Lake, Canada. I assure you whatever other people in other countries think of Americans it didn't come from me or either of my children. My father has circled the globe numerous times in his 24 years of service in the US Navy. He taught me a lot about how to be respectful and absorb the perspectives of others. Because of the ongoing anti-American sentiments I refuse to travel outside of my country. I personally don't feel that it's safe enough nor am I comfortable with language barriers. Besides, there's plenty for me to see and do right here at home. Thanks.

And if any Brazilians and/or people of other nationalities or cultures are on this board preparing for their trips to our wonderful nation, I extend a truly heart-felt welcome. :wave: I personally enjoy encounters with people from other cultures because it provides an opportunity to learn new and interesting things. Sometimes differences are subtle and sometimes not which I find quite fascinating. If travelers of any nationality including American plan to be nice, polite, and enjoy themselves without impeding on others then I'm sure none of the comments in this thread apply to them.

Timmay

Hey, just out of curiosity - which city have you been to?

Salvador twice. My cousin's husband is from there. That was about 16-17 years ago. Befroe we went the first time, he told me it would be somewhat different. It was.

All those things I said happened, and other stuff as well that doesn't happen here. I found nothing wrong with it, it was just different. My cousin's husband always tells me it is hard for him to get used to traveling between here and there.

I remember telling him about the tour groups in WDW and he laughed and said that made sense. People back home would normally break out in song and even dance while in a crowd hanging around. I saw it a few times and figured it was the norm as I had been told. I know for a fact that there wasn't much in the way or personal space...and that didn't bother me either while I was there. I just accepted it.

By the way, saw a great soccer game at The Fonte Nova...that is something I will never forget!!

Look, it was really no big deal to me. I thought it was really cool. :shrug:

EpcoTim

Well, I'll be the devils advocate here. Through all my encounters with any nationality at WDW, the ones I consider the worst are the plain white trash. I would much rather talk to a loud brazilian tour group than watch ma and pa incest spit at each other or swear loudly and openly in line. Humans are humans, no matter what language they speak, and most, I said most, are reasonable to talk too.

Plus, brazilian woman are gorgeous.

And most non-Americans I've run into at the world have been more than friendly. If you treat them the same way.

Eyorefan

I'm going to make a few assumtions here. I'm going to assume that you have never been to Disney and experianced these large tour groups first hand. I kind of felt the same way you did, until I had the misforturne of being there with them. People pushed into me, talked through the performace of the Nemo Musical and cute in line. And one thing all these people had in common.. they were from Brazil. Honestly if Brazilans want people to think about them foundly they need to tell their kids to act better when they go abroad.

Also, you are new so I'm guessing you haven't seen the many threads that have been started about Cheerlearders, Pop warner, and the just plan rude people that visit Disney. Why don't you do a search?

Its not Brazil peopel don't like. Its rude people. Brazil tour groups just happen to be a very large group of rude people in Disney this time of year so its easy to pick on them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
From Webster's Dictionary:
bigot

One entry found.

bigot

Main Entry: big·ot Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\ Function: noun Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot Date: 1660 : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
— big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective
— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

Take a look at yourself in the Mirror buddy.
And by the way, the park is not your "home" these people paid the same money you did, and if their behavior has injured you in some way, stop writing about it and go tell security next time.

Welcome to my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom