A Bazillion Brazilians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas84

TWWP :animwink:

Flew from Atlanta to Orlando once and had to change planes in Miami. The flight from Miami to Orlando was a 767 that flew from Argentina FULL of Disney vacationers from that country. I think I was the only anglo on that flight. Yeah, there was a lot of singing. :lol:

PaisleyMF

I have to say that this tour groups get so out of control so fast. 2 years ago, there was a group thats Security, Management, and the PD, with several busses, parked near they hotel rooms, they were removed from their hotels, Banned from Disney and taken to the Airport.

Aftermath, 3 rooms destroyed (before they were removed) thousands of dollars of stolen merchandise found in their rooms.

I know this can be crazy but sometimes they need more than just control.

goofntink

I hate that...
I would LOVE to have some sort of Taser hooked up to the door so that when they went to bang on it in the middle of the night it shocked the living crap out of them! Like a bug zapper or something! :drevil:
I got one better.My brother in law and family came down for vacation last year and we all stayed at one of the resorts.We had the same door knocking problem the 1st two nights.The 3rd night we both stayed up and sat by the window next to the doors and waited for them.Now to set this up for everyone,we had connecting rooms,and the room doors faced each other at a 45 degree angle.We each had room ice buckets filled with ice and water.Well, at about 1:45 a.m. our little pranksters came around the corner and started knocking on doors,my brother in law and I both stood at the door and as they went to knock on his door we both yanked our doors open and threw the water on them.My brother in law got the kid dead in the face at his door,I soaked the other one,and as they both ran off, i threw the bucket at them,and hit the kid my brother in law got in the head.The noise the bucket made when it hit the kid was so funny,and everytime we would go back to the room one of us would at some point grab our bucket and thump it making the same noise.:D:ROFLOL:

Whimsy

We were at Typhoon Lagoon just this past Wednesday and half the park must have been all people from Argentina, and they were all females too. Oh, and talk about risque swim attire! They must have different standards for swimsuits... :zipit:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We were at Typhoon Lagoon just this past Wednesday and half the park must have been all people from Argentina, and they were all females too. Oh, and talk about risque swim attire! They must have different standards for swimsuits... :zipit:

Or fewer hangups and better figures. :shrug:

Perhaps the Argentinians remember the atrocities of the Balkan wars and being poor at geography confuse Slovak for Slovenian and are naturally freaked out at an accent from that area fearing a quick bit of ethnic cleansing in the Q line.
Its a long shot but with this thread it seems anything is plausible.

cooleo

***First off, let me say that I am not being critical to anyone here. My only wish here is to educate. I too used to be irritated by Brazilian Tour Groups, but I was never critical.***

I must admit I am a bit disappointed in the tone of this thread. Why are so many of us ready to sit here & criticize Brazilian tourists when we know that many AMERICANS (And other nationalities) behave in much the same manner. I often read complaining on this site about how rude people were to them, kids knocking on their doors at night or any manner of injustice that the Brazilian tourists are being accused of. I am in no way saying that some of these people are not guilty of the accusations directed at them, however, I don't think they behave much differently than anyone else. The fact of the matter is that their behavior is simply magnified by their increased presence at this time of year which is due to the fact that this is their winter vacation season. I live & work in Brazil for 2-3 weeks at a time every couple of months & I would venture to say that if any of you doing the complaining here knew as much about these people as I have learned, you would not be so critical. When you live in a country where your normal actions are accepted, it is hard to know any different when you go elsewhere. I don't condone what some of them do, I only suggest we be more understanding of where these people come from & try to be more tolerant. Be proactive in trying to help them understand what is acceptable here in the US. I too have witnessed some of their unacceptable behavior; I have utilized my ability to speak their language & help them understand that their unrulyness was not acceptable here in the US. This is a country of people that is struggling to break free from years of being held down. A couple examples of their continued struggle to survive are: 1) The current price of Regular Gas in Brazil is (Real) $2.79 per liter. When you do the conversion rates, that comes out to (USD) $6.71 a gallon & we are screaming about $4.00 a gallon. 2) People are required to pay as much as 78% tax on anything purchased outside Brazil when bringing these items back home. They even have the price of their purchases googled by their customs agents (Even though they have store receipts) & are required to pay tax on the higher price. I've witnessed this first hand. In light of all this, I suggest we all be a little more understanding. I am not suggesting we just tolerate their behavior, nor do I feel they have the right to act the way they do because of their situation. I am only suggesting that we as Americans try to help them understand what is acceptable here in the USA & when some of them refuse to correct their social behavior, we then report them to the proper authorities and refrain from stooping to their level, lest we become as unruly as they are.

I saw a ton of Brazilian tour groups in July! All kinds of varied colored shirts from red, to blue, to orange. I heard that they get great discounts, which must be awesome.

Actually they do not get any better price than you or I can get. Many people I work with in Brazil have expressed how expensive it is for them to book these trips through a Travel Agent in Brazil & I have helped them understnd how they cn book this on their own to save money. Needless to say they have been very grateful.

there are soo many of them, and with the way our dollar is now, their trips are a steal.... if u go to the florida mall they are all buying ipods, xboxs, anything over $100 they have it... lol.... oh and they take every single good pair of soccer cleats in teh outlet centers... which would leave me w/ very limited choices... :mad::mad::mad:

True they do buy lots of merchandise here in the US to take back home. This is only because of the lack of quality & the outrageous cost they pay for anything in Brazil. Laptop Computers that we can purchase here in the US for $800 or $900, they will pay in excess of $2000 in Brazil & it will not be of the same quality. This is only one example that I witnessed myself & this example is indicative of everything they wish to purchase.

Wow, i'm no tree hugger or anything like that, but the tone of that was a bit, uhm, bigoted?:shrug:

AGREED!!! :mad:

I really think the problem here is lack of chaparones. I have found that no matter the nationality, you let kids run wild they will act up. As for the singing, I guess they are just really nationalistic, if our kids sang about the USA we would all be swelling with pride.

Well said. As I stated above, their behavior is no different than any other nationality.

I'm not sure I see the problem here. OK, a big group in front of you is annoying and perhaps the should be held back but that dynamic cannot go on forever, they are always going to be in front of someone. As for the fact that they are Brazilian and your American, I hardly see this as an argument for why you should get to go first...

Sounds like someone expects to be treated better just because they are from here. I would bet if they went to their country & were treated differently, they would be pretty upset. :rolleyes:

Why would Brazilians freak out over Slovak?

:shrug:

South American attire in general is very relaxed. These people are not afraid to show their bodies (regardless of their size). This is one area that Americans could learn form them. I know for sure that in Brazil, NO ONE is criticized for their looks. Everyone is socially accepted as being human & to me that is a beautiful thing to witness.

***I am done ranting now***

Club Cooloholic

Hey Moderators???

You closed the "Scooter Overload" forum because too many overweight people were offended, but you allow a forum that generalizes a whole nation of people in very very very unflattering terms to remain open despite how biggoted or racist it is? What gives? (by the way, keep BOTH open because both are making important points that may or may not be correct).

Timmay

You closed the "Scooter Overload" forum because too many overweight people were offended, but you allow a forum that generalizes a whole nation of people in very very very unflattering terms to remain open despite how biggoted or racist it is? What gives? (by the way, keep BOTH open because both are making important points that may or may not be correct).

What are you even talking about? How is anyone "generalizing"? Have you been to Brazil. I have...twice. The culture is vastly different there than here in the US. There is no such thing as "personal space"...there just isn't. People are loud, they sing and chant in public and bump into you without even an attempt at an aplology. But, that is their culture. To us, it is rude and unacceptable. But there, it is just the daily norm.

And that is the problem, I think. It is normal there, not here. When I was down there, I accepted the culture and behavior because it was their home, not mine. So to some, this is our home. The feeling is that you respect the home you are in.

There is nothing racist about that.

dxwwf3

What are you even talking about? How is anyone "generalizing"? Have you been to Brazil. I have...twice. The culture is vastly different there than here in the US. There is no such thing as "personal space"...there just isn't. People are loud, they sing and chant in public and bump into you without even an attempt at an aplology. But, that is their culture. To us, it is rude and unacceptable. But there, it is just the daily norm.

And that is the problem, I think. It is normal there, not here. When I was down there, I accepted the culture and behavior because it was their home, not mine. So to some, this is our home. The feeling is that you respect the home you are in.

Well said :sohappy:

Club Cooloholic

From Webster's Dictionary:
bigot

One entry found.

bigot

Main Entry: big·ot Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\ Function: noun Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot Date: 1660 : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
— big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective
— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

Take a look at yourself in the Mirror buddy.
And by the way, the park is not your "home" these people paid the same money you did, and if their behavior has injured you in some way, stop writing about it and go tell security next time.

BRER DAD

bigot

One entry found.

bigot

Main Entry: big·ot Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\ Function: noun Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot Date: 1660 : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

And by the way, the park is not your "home" these people paid the same money you did, and if their behavior has injured you in some way, stop writing about it and go tell security next time.

Someone needs a hug today!!!

Timmay

Oh, goody...dictionary games. My favorite.

Racism -
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

So, since you like name calling, do the things I said show I believe one race is superior or has the right to rule an other? (what race am I, by the way?).

Nobody is being intolerant of a race. I have a feeling that is what you want to make it out to be, but it isn't.

imagineer boy

bigot

One entry found.

bigot

— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

Oh no! Its the PC police! :eek:Run!

BRER DAD

Oh, goody...dictionary games. My favorite.

Racism -
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

So, since you like call people names, do the things I said show I believe one race is superior or has the right to rule an other? (what race am I, by the way?).

Nobody is being intolerant of a race. I have a feeling that is what you want to make it out to be, but it isn't.

:sohappy: Very well put!!!!

sweetpee_1993

I feel like the problem isn't necessarily a certain nationality or groups who are not American, it's rude people. And like someone else who has been to Brazil stated, their culture is much different from that in this country. As I've stated before in other threads about different cultures, etc. if I were to visit another country I would do so with respect to their culture because it is the country AND culture I CHOSE voluntarily to experience. Thus, if someone else from another country visits our country (and, no, I really don't care if they paid more, less, or the same as I would to visit a theme park) I feel that they should do so with respect to our country and it's culture. I don't care if you're a rude teenager or a visitor from another country, if you wrong me or one of my children I will say something about it and defend myself appropriately.

To the person who indicated that the tour groups chanting about their country isn't any different than a group of American kids chanting or singing about our country, there IS a BIG difference. They're in America. For my kids to chant or sing about America in America is most definitely appropriate. I wouldn't want my children going to some other country carrying on making fools of themselves and a mockery of someone else's home. This is because I've raised my sons appropriately and taught them respect. Again, it comes back to culture. When you are in another country you most certainly should be respectful of the culture of that land.

If you travel state to state within the US you are subject to the laws of the place you are in. If you travel from country to country you are subject to those laws of that country.

For the life of me I do not understand why people repeatedly think that as Americans we should just lay down and accept the crap and sometimes abuse we get dealt by people who come into our country just because they are from somewhere else. I won't do it. And if those visitors don't like it they can just go home. I don't go to other countries expecting special treatment and/or priveledges. Don't come here expecting such.

And, I think it was Cooleo, who indicated how overly expensive things are in Brazil with lesser quality. Obviously these tour folks have plenty of resources that they can afford to travel internationally. Kind of hard to feel sorry for them. I could afford to travel abroad but choose to spend my money differently. I'm sure those people could as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom