5th Park Opening in Time for WDW's 50th (Jim Hill)

maxairmike

I always thought it was a purely business/managerial development program? I guess I really only ever heard of that end of the Disney Institute. When I was younger and was always trying to talk my mom into going to WDW (in the mid to late 90s) DI never even registered on my radar. When I heard "Disney Institute" it was always a boring, adult office people focus that I thought of.

Disday

Night Kingdom (the niche concept) was supposed to mainly be marketed to corporations and those who could afford $300 a day tickets. Fortunately, (hopefully), that concept is dead.:)

RandySavage

I always thought it was a purely business/managerial development program? I guess I really only ever heard of that end of the Disney Institute. When I was younger and was always trying to talk my mom into going to WDW (in the mid to late 90s) DI never even registered on my radar. When I heard "Disney Institute" it was always a boring, adult office people focus that I thought of.

After the guest-oriented experience failed, the DI name morphed into the business development type program you described and the property morphed into the Saratoga Springs Resort. Here is a brochure from its original incarnation:
http://www.florida-project.com/disney-institute-brochures

TalkingHead

They do a poor job keeping four parks up to date, so why would we want a fifth one?

Try fixing the four you have before you build a fifth.

Although I can only imagine what a fifth park would contain: maybe three attractions, a dozen restaurants, and forty shops?

Finn-Whit

I agree that Disney should concentrate a majority of their effort on refurbishing and expanding the old parks to take them past their former glory and into something even better.
As for a 5th park? The Star Wars idea might draw a large crowd, but a whole park dedicated to it? I think it would be better to expand the Star Wars attraction in DHS to make it a Star Wars themed land, thus giving DHS something completely new and amazing. :shrug: That's just my opinion though.

I completely agree with you. I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but Epcot can be kind of boring. I mean I love it soooooo much, but they really need to add more attractions, especially in the world show case. As for Hollywood Studios, I think they need one more good ride, and its good. Magic Kingdom's perfect, especially because of the new expansion, and Animal Kingdom is good too. Just my thoughts :) ;)

DocMcHulk

Watch how I go out on a limb here..,

No new park opening at WDW on or before 2021.
Maybe....maybe...a small, limited access gate of some sort...but even that is quite unlikely.

I'm with you on that. Certainly not a "full" 5th gate.

People complain tickets are too expensive now? Imagine the cost of trying to maintain another gate!

TP2000

Avatar is by far the highest grossing film in the age of global distribution. For someone in California to claim they have never heard of it is a stretch and then some.

Yes, I live in California. No, I am not in any way associated with the motion picture industry, or anything media related, nor do I care to be. Last movie I saw in a theater was Hairspray in '07, and that was the first time I'd been to the movies in years and years.

I don't acknowledge or invest any time or energy in current movies, except for maybe the latest animation Disney thing that gets a meet n' greet or something in the parks. Most movies out of Hollywood now are junk anyways. It's just not something I keep track of, or care about. I also don't collect stamps. :lol:

Disaddict

Yes, I live in California. No, I am not in any way associated with the motion picture industry, or anything media related, nor do I care to be. Last movie I saw in a theater was Hairspray in '07, and that was the first time I'd been to the movies in years and years.

I don't acknowledge or invest any time or energy in current movies, except for maybe the latest animation Disney thing that gets a meet n' greet or something in the parks. Most movies out of Hollywood now are junk anyways. It's just not something I keep track of, or care about. I also don't collect stamps. :lol:

I think what the pp meant was that if you had your eyes open at all in 2009 then you couldn't have helped seeing Avatar advertised in some way somewhere. I refused to even consider going to see the movie because I thought it was a stupid concept. But I couldn't get away from the marketing for the thing. Finally I relented and was blown away by the visuals. So unless you lived on a deserted isle for 2009 you had to have seen something. ;) Heck, you couldn't watch the national news without seeing a little about it from time to time.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yes, I live in California. No, I am not in any way associated with the motion picture industry, or anything media related, nor do I care to be. Last movie I saw in a theater was Hairspray in '07, and that was the first time I'd been to the movies in years...

And you chose Hairspray to see?

MissMorrow

This was a great contest on Imagineering Disney and the winning concept is something along the lines of what I could see as a fifth "park." The concept is an evening long experience that includes dinner, a ride, and an adventure tied along a singular story line.

Now "Villa Tempus" may be a little dark for Disney, but this type of evening long experience could really be something new.

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2011/9/17/ride-concept-competition-winners.html

:eek: Wow, some amazing stuff!

Obi

how about a park based on different genre's of books?

each land can be a different genre.. for instance...

kids storybooks can be for the younger children section where you can have rides, shows, m&g's with different characters from kids books.. like where the wild things are dark ride...

mythologyland.. for more of the teen/adult people with the same having rides, shows and so on based off of some of the great mythology stories.. have a mt. olympus rollercoaster ride... hercules can be a m&g here. etc.

then you can have your horror/thriller section where you can have another haunted mansion type ride.. where the disney villians can have their land...

sci-fi land for your more tron, outer space type of rides, shows an so on...

wdwfan4ver

I don't want to see a 5th park. My problem goes to the fact Disney is that one too many theme parks for WDW in terms of Orlando goes and would cause attendance to go down or the 5th park gets poor attendance. The other problem would the cost maintain all 5 parks and would affect how much maintenance in terms of a budget.

I saw a couple maintenance problems while I was WDW in the 4 theme Parks for 10 days in late August to the day after Labor day. I forgot what ride at the Magic Kingdom, but the lap bar wasn't functioning right. Thankfully a cast member saw that and told me to get out of the vehicle. When I was at test track, one of the cars wasn't able to move after passengers got on with the seat belts strapped on.

Epcot, MK, AK, and DHS has attractions that need to be replaced, need updating, or a refurbishment such fixing the Yeti.

wickedsoccer22

"They" never announced Night Kingdom. And by "they", I assume you mean Disney.

Night Kingdom may have existed as an advanced concept, it may not have gotten past Blue Sky or the doodlings on a cocktail napkin, but only Jim Hill mentioned it publicly. He actually mentioned it over and over, and claimed it was about to be announced for more than a year. The bank panic and financial collapse during September-November of 2008 provided sufficient cover for Jim Hill to claim "They changed their mind" when the announcement that Hill claimed was imminent never arrived.

But the Walt Disney Company never once said anything publicly about a 5th park called Night Kingdom.

Night Kingdom was a very real project Disney was doing and it was was definitely way past Blue Sky. I know I have zero credibility here since I am only a lurker but I, along with about 10 others, was once given a presentation by Disney on the Night Kingdom concept. I can go into all the details but essentially under the Breezeway next to Innoventions East I was approached by a Disney Researcher cast member who asked me a few general questions. Upon the end of the questionnaire I was given the option to do a further research opportunity and to compensate me the researcher gave my family FastPasses to a few rides. I said yes and they told me to report at the same location a few hours later. Upon doing so I showed up amongst around 10 others and they took us into the Wonders of Life pavilion and into the offices. They made us sign a non-disclosure letter and told us that the room was under surveillance and microphone for research purposes only. Two cast members, who I assumed were Imagineers, proceeded to tell us the concept of Night Kingdom. They had many, many pictures and a video as well showing us the concept. The park icon was supposed to be the moon. The park was centered around experiencing different cultures as well as doing different activities like zip lining. They wanted a few different "treks" - one I remember was the cultural one where you had dinner and partook in the nighttime activities from native people of a different culture. Another was a more adventurous trek where you zip lined, went on a nighttime safari, among other things.

Obviously the concept may be changed by the time more people started to become more aware of it before it was eventually scraped but I just want to let you know that it was a very real, very detailed concept that was presented to me and that Night Kingdom is not some made up Jim Hill concept.

TalkingHead

how about a park based on different genre's of books?

each land can be a different genre.. for instance...

kids storybooks can be for the younger children section where you can have rides, shows, m&g's with different characters from kids books.. like where the wild things are dark ride...

mythologyland.. for more of the teen/adult people with the same having rides, shows and so on based off of some of the great mythology stories.. have a mt. olympus rollercoaster ride... hercules can be a m&g here. etc.

then you can have your horror/thriller section where you can have another haunted mansion type ride.. where the disney villians can have their land...

sci-fi land for your more tron, outer space type of rides, shows an so on...

How's that any different from the MK?

Greenkai3000

I really hope that there is a 5th park sooner or later. I'd love to see something similar to, if not DisneySea. Not everyone can make it all the way to Japan to visit that park so it'd be nice to have it State side too. :cool:

Some people would prefer something more original rather than a clone park, I know. However, just look at how Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom (WDW), Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland are all doing extremely well... they're practically the same park. :kiss:

trr1

Night Kingdom was a very real project Disney was doing and it was was definitely way past Blue Sky. I know I have zero credibility here since I am only a lurker but I, along with about 10 others, was once given a presentation by Disney on the Night Kingdom concept. I can go into all the details but essentially under the Breezeway next to Innoventions East I was approached by a Disney Researcher cast member who asked me a few general questions. Upon the end of the questionnaire I was given the option to do a further research opportunity and to compensate me the researcher gave my family FastPasses to a few rides. I said yes and they told me to report at the same location a few hours later. Upon doing so I showed up amongst around 10 others and they took us into the Wonders of Life pavilion and into the offices. They made us sign a non-disclosure letter and told us that the room was under surveillance and microphone for research purposes only. Two cast members, who I assumed were Imagineers, proceeded to tell us the concept of Night Kingdom. They had many, many pictures and a video as well showing us the concept. The park icon was supposed to be the moon. The park was centered around experiencing different cultures as well as doing different activities like zip lining. They wanted a few different "treks" - one I remember was the cultural one where you had dinner and partook in the nighttime activities from native people of a different culture. Another was a more adventurous trek where you zip lined, went on a nighttime safari, among other things.

Obviously the concept may be changed by the time more people started to become more aware of it before it was eventually scraped but I just want to let you know that it was a very real, very detailed concept that was presented to me and that Night Kingdom is not some made up Jim Hill concept.

wow wickedsoccer22 you broke a non-disclosure letter!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom