Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Figments Friend

Surviving on unemployment would be tough. It would be no surprise if laid off cast members fly or drive back to live with friends or family in another city or state.

I have a friend who did this earlier this year.

She left the Northeast to move down to Orlando to work at WDW as a CP at the start of this year.
As is the norm, she was pumped and very excited about her 'dream job' of working for Disney finally coming true.
She started training, and was placed in a QS location at one of the Resorts in late February.
Barely in her position for almost two weeks, the Covid Apocolypse hit in March and WDW closes sending all CPs away.
Naturally, this was a big blow for her and she was crushed.

She lingered in Orlando for a short time and then finally returned home to the Northeast when it was becoming clear things were not going to be going back to normal at WDW anytime soon.
I'm sure she was not the only one to depart the state after losing her role...and there are likely more CMs right now pulling stakes and moving back home or elsewhere.

-

Slpy3270

If the parks are not back to full capacity by next summer you can be damn sure short-term activist investors are going to scoop up the stock (which isn't going back to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon) and demand a spinout of the parks and cruise line divisions.

And you can be more damn sure that any resistance to that within the company will result in more layoffs just to placate them.

the.dreamfinder

If the parks are not back to full capacity by next summer you can be damn sure short-term activist investors are going to scoop up the stock (which isn't going back to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon) and demand a spinout of the parks and cruise line divisions.

And you can be more damn sure that any resistance to that within the company will result in more layoffs just to placate them.
Why would they demand a spin out? These are very valuable long term assets.

If anything, there’s a reason why banks are happy to lend money to Disney. Disney will be good for the money and the debt becomes equity if they go under.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder how the percentage/proportion of layoffs at Uni compares to Disney. It'd be an interesting comparison.
Why do you want to know that? Think it will save your wildly off speculation? Uni's several rounds of lay-offs and putting off EU for another year has been widely known. They're in no position to grab market or talent from Disney.

And again, last quarter reports show Disney has the cash and credit line to keep doing what its doing for years. Investors keep buoying Disney stock for that reason and they're optimistic about Disney's future. For the most part Dis Stock has gone up and down in step with the Dow, it hasn't been falling.

So, what exactly is your source for pessimism about the company?

Ldno

And who just fired 28,000 cast members and is cutting entertainment and service offerings faster than his Instagram manager can post pictures of him kissing babies.

#koolaiddrunk
That’s clearly coming from Burbank all the way to the Bob’s, Josh had no control over who got fired or not. Heck not even the bob’s had control that’s all HR right there.

SoFloMagic

I know people like to make fun of Florida for being... Florida... but there haven’t been any outbreaks associated with Florida’s theme parks. We’ve set a precedent that the theme parks can be operated safely for those who want to go.

You can take COVID seriously and still have businesses be open. Most states are doing that. California is dragging its feet, and you can say it’s science but it’s also political just like everything else these days.

In the end, I’m not sure how much choice we have. The government isn’t going to take care of us. Not with the political climate in the US. For better or worse, this isn’t Scandinavia. Even during a pandemic, we’re forced to sink or swim based on our ability to generate income. It’s a harsh reality, but the world is a harsh place. Less harsh for some, more harsh for others.
Florida doesn't contact trace, so there will never be a "Disney outbreak". It's like how if we didn't test anyone there'd be "no covid positive cases".

That said, I agree with some of what you say... We certainly need to figure out how to open up some things safely. But until people are comfortable coming we won't recover. And I don't mean disney superfans. I heard on the news the other day "Florida goes to phase 3 with full capacity indoor dining. Guess where I won't be going". Until the state is perceived as safe and is off of the quarantine lists we will not recover.

I understand and respect your small government ideals, but during a pandemic the government does have a public health responsibility and needs to tell us what to do.

SoFloMagic

No need to apologize, I'm sorry for my angry tone. I'm ****ed at Blog Mickey for spreading unfounded rumors like that. Their standards have really gone down recently.
They used to be very neutral and have certainly gone on a mission recently. I guess you could say they've read as a bit more... Unscrupulous?

Lilofan

That’s clearly coming from Burbank all the way to the Bob’s, Josh had no control over who got fired or not. Heck not even the bob’s had control that’s all HR right there.
Josh had no control is somewhat right. It was also his blessing in regards to the mass layoffs. He is the chairman after all. There is no sugar coating around that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom