Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Animaniac93-98

Apparently he's persona non grata around here, but I really appreciated reading Josh at Easy WDW on this. He correctly rips Disney for wasting money on influencers with no reach (and those who shill for the free stuff), wonders what the appropriate response is for someone who chronicles the parks without getting free stuff, and empathizes with those who lost their jobs.

Without question, there are people who put out wonderful fan content online (Foxx Nolte, Retro WDW, Biorecontsruct etc). Some are even members on this site like Martin.

But there's been an explosion of junk with the rise of social media (Instagram in particular) and even in the face of a public health crisis and massive layoffs, they're still pushing the brand. Maybe they fear their job prospects elsewhere? IDK, but the continued defense of them is especially tasteless now. We don't need to keep feeding these people's egos just because they like Disney too.

cmarten

But there's been an explosion of junk with the rise of social media (Instagram in particular) and even in the face of a public health crisis and massive layoffs, they're still pushing the brand. Maybe they fear their job prospects elsewhere? IDK, but the continued defense of them is especially tasteless now. We don't need to keep feeding these people's egos just because they like Disney too.
I find the Disney Instagrammers to be the worst and most shameless of all. It’s all sunshine and rainbows with them. There’s one I recall who was kicked out of their cp for theft and still promotes Disney nonstop

GymLeaderPhil

Without question, there are people who put out wonderful fan content online (Foxx Nolte, Retro WDW, Biorecontsruct etc). Some are even members on this site like Martin.

Leeches. There’s two camps of them.

The plastic people. Defenders of mediocrity like limited edition popcorn buckets, spirit jerseys, and cupcake parties. Corporate shills for cheaply produced overpriced goods and IP infused experiences. You’ll see these people invited to ALL of Disney’s social media events. Rose gold covered glasses. Disney is a product, they strive to consume it all.

Then there’s the “insider” influencers who are ambulance chasing fear-mongers. Quick to blame without research. Full of unsubstantiated claims. Attempts to be the first to break a story. They don’t get invited to the inner circle and they’re all about driving hits/views/likes/subscribes for bombastic negative news coverage.

Animaniac93-98

The plastic people. Defenders of mediocrity like limited edition popcorn buckets, spirit jerseys, and cupcake parties. Corporate shills for cheaply produced overpriced goods and IP infused experiences. You’ll see these people invited to ALL of Disney’s social media events. Rose gold covered glasses. Disney is a product, they strive to consume it all.

Then there’s the “insider” influencers who are ambulance chasing fear-mongers. Quick to blame without research. Full of unsubstantiated claims. Attempts to be the first to break a story. They don’t get invited to the inner circle and they’re all about driving hits/views/likes/subscribes for bombastic negative news coverage.

This is the "flood of electronic babble" SSE '94 warned us about.

TrainsOfDisney

At least the Disney bloggers are making money and getting free trips for wasting time typing out thoughts about Disney on the internet.

Only ones I follow are the Brickers, I enjoy their content and photos. I wouldn’t have even known about Spyglass Grille if it wasn’t for them!

Tom Morrow

Admittedly I like a few of the vloggers but the vast majority are as you described. We get our share of “insider” influencers on here too.

Brer Oswald

Admittedly I like a few of the vloggers but the vast majority are as you described. We get our share of “insider” influencers on here too.
FRE is quite the funny channel

The_Jobu

I don't know what I just saw but I feel guilty for laughing...

Anyhoo , now with a public excuse for minimum staffing, I highly doubt they'll ever get staff levels back up, even when things are unregulated again. So vloggers is my only to visit Disney now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're probably right...Disney is just going to give up all the cheap publicity on Instagram and YouTube. :rolleyes:

It's already a pull market... not a push. Those influencers will already scramble and scrap to save their own positions. Disney didn't have to create the market.. it just fed it. They will continue to graze even if Disney's hand pulls back.

Truth is... you don't assign budget to spend without people to spend it...

TrainsOfDisney

Hoop de Doo was just cut.
I figured as much. I went as a kid and we enjoyed it... still remember our waiter “rob or bor?” After 20+ years!

I always wanted to go again and see some of the Disney equity performers that I got to know from citizens and comedy warehouse as well as piano John. When rumors of its closing started a year or so ago I put it on my radar but the last 2 trips were for New Years (extra fireworks) and the arts festival (broadway concerts) so there wasn’t any extra time in the evening for hoop. :(

Brian

Hearing WDW Salons & Spas have been axed, at least for the foreseeable future. All Cast being laid off.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Come on Disney...:mad::in pain:😭
stop no GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom