Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

hopemax

Hearing online that all of the Company D CM’s have been cut.
Do you have any more info about this? DL's Company D = WDW Cast Connection (which had reopened) = discount store. WDW's Company D = DL's Team Disney = small service store. So is it both types of stores or just the service stores?

Brian

Do you have any more info about this? DL's Company D = WDW Cast Connection (which had reopened) = discount store. WDW's Company D = DL's Team Disney = small service store. So is it both types of stores or just the service stores?

WDW Cast Connection remains open, but likely will see some layoffs.

Riverrafter21

Truth is... you don't assign budget to spend without people to spend it...
Lol, I'm not sure why your line in the sand is a post about vloggers, but I'm sure Disney finds value in their reach and considering the return on investment will find a way to increase that if they see fit.

Disney Analyst

It was on a FB group. They just said they were a Company D CM and they and everyone they know had been laid off, and that it sounded like everyone was.

UNCgolf

Laying off 13% of the workforce that provides crucial operations to your business, not to mention high guest satisfaction and positive public image, is not endurance nor recovery. It's surrender.

A company that surrenders to a virus is setting itself up for long-term decline.

Those are jobs that management already wanted to eliminate. They mostly aren't going to come back even when everything is back to normal.

Slpy3270

Those are jobs that management already wanted to eliminate. They mostly aren't going to come back even when everything is back to normal.

If management wanted to eliminate those jobs why didn't they do it sooner? Plus when was live entertainment considered non-essential?

UNCgolf

If management wanted to eliminate those jobs why didn't they do it sooner? Plus when was live entertainment considered non-essential?

It's hard to eliminate 28,000 jobs at once without an excuse like this. But they've been doing it in small pieces here and there. Iger has been very clear that Disney had way too many employees and needed to become more efficient.

I'm not saying ALL of those jobs are permanently eliminated, but I bet the majority of them are.

Lilofan

It's hard to eliminate 28,000 jobs at once without an excuse like this. But they've been doing it in small pieces here and there. Iger has been very clear that Disney had way too many employees and needed to become more efficient.

I'm not saying ALL of those jobs are permanently eliminated, but I bet the majority of them are.
He's been saying it for about two years. Apparently not many paid attention.

TrainsOfDisney

They have been little by little. Why do you think there are more projection shows than parades? I was surprised fantasmic 2.0 happened under Iger but I figure they were worried they would be over crowded with Star Wars land and needed to pull the guests over there twice a night.

When Chapek cut all the live entertainment that the Star Wars land was built and designed for, it was obvious what he thought about entertainment.

The_Jobu

They have been little by little. Why do you think there are more projection shows than parades? I was surprised fantasmic 2.0 happened under Iger but I figure they were worried they would be over crowded with Star Wars land and needed to pull the guests over there twice a night.

When Chapek cut all the live entertainment that the Star Wars land was built and designed for, it was obvious what he thought about entertainment.

I mean, its gotta come back and bite them sooner or later. Entertainment, Cast Members, the little things, it's what made Disney, Disney, and not just a theme park.

homerdance

Apparently he's persona non grata around here, but I really appreciated reading Josh at Easy WDW on this. He correctly rips Disney for wasting money on influencers with no reach (and those who shill for the free stuff), wonders what the appropriate response is for someone who chronicles the parks without getting free stuff, and empathizes with those who lost their jobs.
What’s wrong with Josh?

TrainsOfDisney

Surviving on unemployment would be tough. It would be no surprise if laid off cast members fly or drive back to live with friends or family in another city or state.
Or get jobs elsewhere in Florida. They aren’t gonna wait around for Disney, nor will Disney be calling them back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom