Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Giss Neric

Isn’t this it?
Inside Universal forums generally has their fair share of criticizers and haters about Universal Studios and other theme parks but mostly they are chill members who gives credit when it is due. However, here it's the opposite that's why sometimes I'm just riding along the negativity,

techgeek

Inside Universal forums generally has their fair share of criticizers and haters about Universal Studios and other theme parks but mostly they are chill members who gives credit when it is due. However, here it's the opposite that's why sometimes I'm just riding along the negativity,

It’s sometimes a fine line between negativity and legitimate criticism.

On the side of negativity is the domain of trolls, which are typically rapidly dispatched on this (and any) forum with good reason. Critical thought is born out of a true passion. If you spend much time at all here reading beyond these ‘headline’ threads, it’s obvious that many of the most critical posters are the ones that truly know the fundamental reasons why something is off with WDW and what could be done to fix it. They are motivated not by being right or by the satisfaction of the flash-in-the-pan attention of doom-casting, but by helping (and hoping) that others can have a more positive experience with a place that can often be as challenging to navigate as it is magical... especially today.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

On the side of negativity is the domain of trolls, which are typically rapidly dispatched on this (and any) forum with good reason. Critical thought is born out of a true passion. If you spend much time at all here reading beyond these ‘headline’ threads, it’s obvious that many of the most critical posters are the ones that truly know the fundamental reasons why something is off with WDW and what could be done to fix it. They are motivated not by being right or by the satisfaction of the flash-in-the-pan attention of doom-casting, but by helping (and hoping) that others can have a more positive experience with a place that can often be as challenging to navigate as it is magical... especially today.
Wow. Very very well said.

Lilofan

It all starts with the people. The staff can make or break the company.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It all starts with the people. The staff can make or break the company.

Ehh...i’m Sad to say that hasn’t been the case for Disney for going on 30 years.

Not that I’m disavowing the importance of the staff...it does make a huge difference.
But Disney is so “big” now that all their decisions/motivations are based on margin analysis on a mass scale. They are as economically “Orwellian” as amazon or Microsoft...just not as notorious for it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Ehh...i’m Sad to say that hasn’t been the case for Disney for going on 30 years.

Not that I’m disavowing the importance of the staff...it does make a huge difference.
But Disney is so “big” now that all their decisions/motivations are based on margin analysis on a mass scale. They are as economically “Orwellian” as amazon or Microsoft...just not as notorious for it.

Perhaps if you were to consider the history of the business your viewpoint might be softened a bit. Disney parks have gone through quite a few "Feast or Famine" cycles, sufficiently enough that they are part (or should be a part)of their revenue forecasting and planning models. "Bean counters" are usually the antithesis of the "creatives", but they strive to keep the doors open with planning for eventualities based on revenue and risk modeling.

Oh, I do agree there's little magic or whimsey involved, but it's reality. After Walt, it took a while to inject GAAP into the organization, but they've managed to keep the same Independent Name brand and not become a subsidiary of someone else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps if you were to consider the history of the business your viewpoint might be softened a bit. Disney parks have gone through quite a few "Feast or Famine" cycles, sufficiently enough that they are part (or should be a part)of their revenue forecasting and planning models. "Bean counters" are usually the antithesis of the "creatives", but they strive to keep the doors open with planning for eventualities based on revenue and risk modeling.

Oh, I do agree there's little magic or whimsey involved, but it's reality. After Walt, it took a while to inject GAAP into the organization, but they've managed to keep the same Independent Name brand and not become a subsidiary of someone else.

I’ve lived some of those trials (including the most notorious boom to bust in history prior to now)...so it’s unlikely a 25 or so year opinion from experience is gonna be reworked too much

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

The nonsense political falsehoods that have been falsely rehashed as “valid” for 40 years...but other than that...you’re golden
Perhaps I overstated what could happen when the White House, senate and house is controlled by the left, a single party never keeps control long enough to do any real damage. I am hoping for some good old political gridlock... nice and safe. Nothing gets done, but nice and safe 😀

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps I overstated what could happen when the White House, senate and house is controlled by the left, a single party never keeps control long enough to do any real damage. I am hoping for some good old political gridlock... nice and safe. Nothing gets done, but nice and safe 😀

That’s been the case for 15 years with the except of 2 that did awful damage that actually doesn’t hit till 2021...

But I tend to be a “realist”.

Shouldigo12

It's also a fine line between passion and obsessiveness.

I like a lot of people on here. You may not be able to tell with how much I argue 😉But I do. And there are certainly passionate people on here. But a lot of times when I'm reading posts I don't see people who are so passionate they're able to know what works and what doesn't doesn't much better than us regular folks. I see people who are desperately clinging to a past Disney World long gone, and getting frustrated because the Disney World here now just ain't it. That's not because DW is so much worse now; it's just different.

Miss Bella

It's also a fine line between passion and obsessiveness.

I like a lot of people on here. You may not be able to tell with how much I argue 😉But I do. And there are certainly passionate people on here. But a lot of times when I'm reading posts I don't see people who are so passionate they're able to know what works and what doesn't doesn't much better than us regular folks. I see people who are desperately clinging to a past Disney World long gone, and getting frustrated because the Disney World here now just ain't it. That's not because DW is so much worse now; it's just different.
Agree 100%. You can either adapt, complain or spend your money somewhere else. I choose the first and the latter, complainers are like nails on a chalkboard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom