Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

UNCgolf

Agreed 100%. Our family has gotten locked into a rut of WDW, Hilton Head, and visiting National Parks. But with all that has transpired, we are now talking about European vacations as a viable if not better alternative. These days, the whole family is doing their research as we start the planning process. Thanks TWDC for pushing us to do what we should've already done.

You definitely should! Europe is an amazing place to visit. Especially if you have any interest in history whatsoever, but even if you don't, there's plenty of cultural, culinary, natural beauty, etc. reasons to go as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed 100%. Our family has gotten locked into a rut of WDW, Hilton Head, and visiting National Parks. But with all that has transpired, we are now talking about European vacations as a viable if not better alternative. These days, the whole family is doing their research as we start the planning process. Thanks TWDC for pushing us to do what we should've already done.

You definitely should! Europe is an amazing place to visit. Especially if you have any interest in history whatsoever, but even if you don't, there's plenty of cultural, culinary, natural beauty, etc. reasons to go as well.

There’s a name for people that contend that going to Orlando is as good or better than Europe...

It’s called people who have never been to Europe. Real life and history beat stylized mockups to sell product anyday.

...and you can still go to euro if you need your fix 👍🏻

Goofyernmost

Every time I read this I'm briefly baffled that a trip to France costs less than a trip to WDW for anyone -- and then I remember that most people are flying to WDW whereas I'm close enough to drive. That makes an enormous difference.

I prefer trips to Europe (and other places) to WDW, but time/cost differences make WDW a much easier trip.
In 2015 I went to Europe from October 16th to November 17. One week of that was on a trans-Atlantic cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and then back home to NC. We went to Paris for 3 or four days and went to DLP. Went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, spent a day in the Louvre, flew to Venice for a few days, took a high speed train to Rome, took trains to Pompeii, rode subways all over Rome, The Vatican, the Coliseum, the Roman Ruins, Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's Basilica, had an intimate session with the Pope along with about 8000 of his close friends and a variety of other things. The cruise included 5 ports of call in France, Italy, including Pisa, Florence and went to a wine tasting in Tuscany, also to Barcelona, Spain, passed by the Rock of Gibraltar and the last Port of Call was in the Canary Islands. There were two of us and it costs a total of just under $14000.00, for everything! Transportation, Food, lodging, tours etc. That's one month with everyday packed with things to do and so much to see.

I have never spent that much going to WDW, but then again I never spent a month there either. As much as I have loved WDW (i.e. all of Disney), I wouldn't trade my trip for thirty days in WDW ever.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In 2015 I went to Europe from October 16th to November 17. One week of that was on a trans-Atlantic cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and then back home to NC. We went to Paris for 3 or four days and went to DLP. Went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, spent a day in the Louvre, flew to Venice for a few days, took a high speed train to Rome, took trains to Pompeii, rode subways all over Rome, The Vatican, the Coliseum, the Roman Ruins, Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's Basilica, had an intimate session with the Pope along with about 8000 of his close friends and a variety of other things. The cruise included 5 ports of call in France, Italy, including Pisa, Florence and went to a wine tasting in Tuscany, also to Barcelona, Spain, passed by the Rock of Gibraltar and the Canary Islands. There were two of us and it costs a total of just under $14000.00, for everything! Transportation, Food, lodging, tours etc. That's one month with everyday packed with things to do and so much to see.

I have never spent that much going to WDW, but then again I never spent a month there either. As much as I have loved WDW (i.e. all of Disney), I wouldn't trade my trip for thirty days in WDW ever.

So you’re saying that you can’t spend at least $3,500 a week at wdw?

...it’s actually tough to spend that little in many cases.

Every time I read this I'm briefly baffled that a trip to France costs less than a trip to WDW for anyone -- and then I remember that most people are flying to WDW whereas I'm close enough to drive. That makes an enormous difference.

I prefer trips to Europe (and other places) to WDW, but time/cost differences make WDW a much easier trip.
Yes i think its the season and location of life you are in as to whether it is comparable in expenses and experience. I traveled all over before kids. Discovered cruising (dcl) and Disney with kids and it was built in entertainment with nice restaurants to eat at. Fabulous travel for my kids and us! Now we are in a new season (teengers and tween) and its back to Europe, skiing, cities etc. For now its dreaded camping due to covid. 😆

Honestly though we are glad we had disney when it was a value. Nowadays...I maybe mention going but, nostalgia isnt worth that much$$$$. Dollar just goes further elsewere for a more premium experience.

Goofyernmost

No, I'm saying you can't stay onsite, eat, go to the parks, go to evening entertainment for that, buy keepsakes, etc. for that. Anytime you go past one person the numbers start to go out of site. When I went, I went with my sister, we split all the costs that we shared, paid our own way to things that were just for us as individuals, turned out there wasn't that many things that we didn't share the cost of. So for me personally, I spent just about $7000.00. Thirty one of the most active days of my life.

Lilofan

In 2015 I went to Europe from October 16th to November 17. One week of that was on a trans-Atlantic cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and then back home to NC. We went to Paris for 3 or four days and went to DLP. Went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, spent a day in the Louvre, flew to Venice for a few days, took a high speed train to Rome, took trains to Pompeii, rode subways all over Rome, The Vatican, the Coliseum, the Roman Ruins, Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's Basilica, had an intimate session with the Pope along with about 8000 of his close friends and a variety of other things. The cruise included 5 ports of call in France, Italy, including Pisa, Florence and went to a wine tasting in Tuscany, also to Barcelona, Spain, passed by the Rock of Gibraltar and the last Port of Call was in the Canary Islands. There were two of us and it costs a total of just under $14000.00, for everything! Transportation, Food, lodging, tours etc. That's one month with everyday packed with things to do and so much to see.

That's awesome. One lady I used to work with has been to WDW many times but never had been to Europe. When she saw the sights traveling in Italy, she remarked " It looks like Epcot! ".

Mr Mindcrime

We've spent $8,000 for a family of four (included two hungry teenagers) for a week, staying on property. I think that was around 2016. Had a blast! Since then it's been shorter, more frequent trips as an AP.

I like @Goofyernmost's month in Europe. Trips like that are what will get our money going forward. I grew up in Gainesville so I've been going to WDW my entire life. And I'm sure we'll go again. But we'll not be dropping big bucks there anymore....we'll drop them across the pond 😛

Europe is an amazing place to visit. Especially if you have any interest in history whatsoever, but even if you don't, there's plenty of cultural, culinary, natural beauty, etc. reasons to go as well.
I love history and natural beauty. Visiting Normandy is on my bucket list as well as taking rail trips through Switzerland. Retirement's coming soon..... 😎

wannabeBelle

20191124_095702.jpg

Me with Budapest in the background. Technically it was the Pest side as I was standing on the Buda side at the Castle, but a Christmas Market Cruise down the Danube from Hungary into Slovakia, Austria and Germany was amazing and was not at all like EPCOT!!! Wonderful people and a wonderful time!! Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
View attachment 514092
Me with Budapest in the background. Technically it was the Pest side as I was standing on the Buda side at the Castle, but a Christmas Market Cruise down the Danube from Hungary into Slovakia, Austria and Germany was amazing and was not at all like EPCOT!!! Wonderful people and a wonderful time!! Marie

Budapest, Prague and Vienna are high on my “haven’t been yet” list

wannabeBelle

Budapest, Prague and Vienna are high on my “haven’t been yet” list
It was so amazing, I did a river cruise with Crystal Cruises. Interesting and completely different from ocean cruises. Wild going through the locks as we wound our way down the Danube. Definitely well worth it, the Christmas Markets are so amazing to do. Great time of year to go!! Marie

Goofyernmost

I like @Goofyernmost's month in Europe. Trips like that are what will get our money going forward. I grew up in Gainesville so I've been going to WDW my entire life. And I'm sure we'll go again. But we'll not be dropping big bucks there anymore....we'll drop them across the pond 😛
I love history and natural beauty. Visiting Normandy is on my bucket list as well as taking rail trips through Switzerland. Retirement's coming soon..... 😎
I have to admit that I had the best time on that trip. I love, love, love the European Train Travel part. I had been to Europe in 1967 when I was in College for a credit receiving college sponsored two week trip. On that one we went to Lisbon, Madrid, Rome, Paris and London. Which means that as untethered college students we explored many of the bars in all those countries. This one was a non-structured trip. We went where we wanted and found our own way to those places. That didn't mean that it didn't require massive planning and pre-paying, but man was it worth it. Instead of hotels, we rented apartments. Took subways instead of cabs or organized tours. Otherwise it was a lot of shoe leather. I jokingly referred to it as our European Death March. I probably did more walking in those three weeks on the continent than I did in the previous 67 years of my life.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster

“Due to the current climate, including COVID-19 impacts, and changing environment in which we are operating, the Company has generated efficiencies in its staffing, including limiting hiring to critical business roles, furloughs and reductions-in-force,” said the company in the SEC filing. “As part of these actions, the employment of approximately 32,000 employees primarily at Parks, Experiences and Products will terminate in the first half of fiscal 2021.”

"A Disney spokesperson confirmed that that figure includes the previously announced parks layoffs. Separately, 37,000 Disney employees who are not slated to be terminated were on furlough as of Oct. 3."

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

“Due to the current climate, including COVID-19 impacts, and changing environment in which we are operating, the Company has generated efficiencies in its staffing, including limiting hiring to critical business roles, furloughs and reductions-in-force,” said the company in the SEC filing. “As part of these actions, the employment of approximately 32,000 employees primarily at Parks, Experiences and Products will terminate in the first half of fiscal 2021.”

"A Disney spokesperson confirmed that that figure includes the previously announced parks layoffs. Separately, 37,000 Disney employees who are not slated to be terminated were on furlough as of Oct. 3."

At least they're doubling down on their Splash retheme and giving raises to execs, rather than doing anything for the people who actually deserve something.

This is so backwards. I'm using dark humor but this legitimately has me furious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom