Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

jlhwdw

Employees are expendable in a modern day workplace. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just reality. And with layoffs like this, there was no time or energy to be expended to handpick who stays and who goes. If you're organizing something like an Opening Team or need to gather a team of A-listers for a specific project or goal, that kind of stuff absolutely still happens. Or if a company of 10,000 needs to let go of 20 people, yes, it can happen more methodically. But when you're talking the reduced headcount and obliteration of entire departments like Disney currently is, there is no other way. It's not the 70s anymore. You don't put in your time and get a gold watch while the company looks out for your best interest.

wannabeBelle

Employees are expendable in a modern day workplace. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just reality. And with layoffs like this, there was no time or energy to be expended to handpick who stays and who goes. If you're organizing something like an Opening Team or need to gather a team of A-listers for a specific project or goal, that kind of stuff absolutely still happens. Or if a company of 10,000 needs to let go of 20 people, yes, it can happen more methodically. But when you're talking the reduced headcount and obliteration of entire departments like Disney currently is, there is no other way. It's not the 70s anymore. You don't put in your time and get a gold watch while the company looks out for your best interest.
And this kind of plays into what I have been saying. Why would you cut certain CM's who are part of what draws people to your vacation destination as opposed to others who may not be critical in that regard? Cutting wholesale like they appear to be is dangerous in that if you dilute the product enough, people wont be buying it as much, if at all. The savings looks great for this quarter for Wall Street, but doesnt contribute to the long term health of the company. Marie

Jrb1979

And this kind of plays into what I have been saying. Why would you cut certain CM's who are part of what draws people to your vacation destination as opposed to others who may not be critical in that regard? Cutting wholesale like they appear to be is dangerous in that if you dilute the product enough, people wont be buying it as much, if at all. The savings looks great for this quarter for Wall Street, but doesnt contribute to the long term health of the company. Marie
Just remember Wall Street is what matters right now.

TrainsOfDisney

And with layoffs like this, there was no time or energy to be expended to handpick who stays and who goes.
At Epcot, no full time entertainers were cut. Is that because the park has better leadership?

I wonder if citizens would have been cut under Holmes for example. Actually... wasn’t Holmes still in charge
when the Orchestra show began?

SpoiledBlueMilk

Well, labor costs are legitimate until the full crowds are able to return, however, after that the lack of entertainment may well be a detriment to business. Yes, they are more expensive, but that has to be weighed against the income generated by having that entertainment. I don't have any idea what is going to happen, that is something that is secured within the walls of The Disney Company, however, as a retired businessman, I think that you can cut just so much before your product is no longer worth the high price. But, in this era of cults there is a good chance that they could set fire to main street and people would line up to pay $10.00 each for a S'more.
You can't cut yourself to profitability as the saying goes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree, but with social distancing, one of the theatres would be a better option and would give people in the park something more to do than to go from one ride to the next. I would definitely go to see them in this kind of venue. As far as seeing these guys, they do play in various bands in and around the Orlando Area, which is where I catch them now. Marie

I don’t see why they would feel Inclined to “give people something to do”??

Make no mistake - there is another social experiment/data glean going on right now. They are tracking and watching what customers will pay to NOT have things...it will be used against everyone if things go back to normal.

Big brother is always watching

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eventually.....
which is where we are headed in the parks I think. They have a perfect excuse right now and they know it.

Disney brand loyalty is on another level from what I observed...they should start selling hats and flags

Kodak and blockbuster were often lack of options...I don’t see wdw ever being eclipsed in offerings...that’s the difference.

At least in the short to medium term

Mr Mindcrime

Make no mistake - there is another social experiment/data glean going on right now. They are tracking and watching what customers will pay to NOT have things...it will be used against everyone if things go back to normal.
Of this you can be sure!

Consumers.... it's your time to make a difference. If you don't like the direction this is heading, then STOP supporting a sub-standard product, painful and sad as it may be personally for you. If you go to the parks, and pay more, for less....TWDC will give you what you want. They'll keep making you pay more, they'll keep giving you less, and they know you'll accept it.

And people like me who love WDW but have already drawn a line in the sand that they've crossed....will have to go to Dollywood instead. My stock portfolio thanks you, but my family who used to love multiple trips a year to WDW are very sad.

tirian

Of this you can be sure!

Consumers.... it's your time to make a difference. If you don't like the direction this is heading, then STOP supporting a sub-standard product, painful and sad as it may be personally for you. If you go to the parks, and pay more, for less....TWDC will give you what you want. They'll keep making you pay more, they'll keep giving you less, and they know you'll accept it.

And people like me who love WDW but have already drawn a line in the sand that they've crossed....will have to go to Dollywood instead. My stock portfolio thanks you, but my family who used to love multiple trips a year to WDW are very sad.
One trip to France and another to Canada made my extended family lose interest in WDW anyway. Both cost less than a week at WDW (tickets, a moderate resort, plus dining).

DLP is worth a trip, but Tokyo is the only Disney resort maintaining classic value and standards.

EPCOTCenterLover

One trip to France and another to Canada made my extended family lose interest in WDW anyway. Both cost less than a week at WDW (tickets, a moderate resort, plus dining).

DLP is worth a trip, but Tokyo is the only Disney resort maintaining classic value and standards.
DLP will remind you what a castle park should be... and what a second park should never be!

UNCgolf

Every time I read this I'm briefly baffled that a trip to France costs less than a trip to WDW for anyone -- and then I remember that most people are flying to WDW whereas I'm close enough to drive. That makes an enormous difference.

I prefer trips to Europe (and other places) to WDW, but time/cost differences make WDW a much easier trip.

HongKongFooy

and then I remember that most people are flying to WDW whereas I'm close enough to drive. That makes an enormous difference.

A difference, sure......but an enormous differece? I don't see it. We talking coach here, right? ......not 1st class gouge level pricing, no?

Domestic flights are fairly cheap even coast to coast(I remember paying approx $185 to $275 from SFO or Oakland to Orlando's MCO say 6 or more times......same with LAX to MCO, yes, we're talking all round trips here) assuming one is using main well known starting airports.

I suppose if it's a party 5 far from a large airport and has to rely on some no name regional one then his passage could cost $500 or more.

Anyway my definition of an enormous trip price difference would be more like doing 8 nights at Poly while tapping a WDW full service eats 12+ times compared to a $69 per night near Intern. Drive and eating quick service in parks and Ruby Tuesday at night.

UNCgolf

A difference, sure......but an enormous differece? I don't see it. We talking coach here, right? ......not 1st class gouge level pricing, no?

Domestic flights are fairly cheap even coast to coast(I remember paying approx $185 to $275 from SFO or Oakland to Orlando's MCO say 6 or more times......same with LAX to MCO, yes, we're talking all round trips here) assuming one is using main well known starting airports.

I suppose if it's a party 5 far from a large airport and has to rely on some no name regional one then his passage could cost $500 or more.

Anyway my definition of an enormous trip price difference would be more like doing 8 nights at Poly while tapping a WDW full service eats 12+ times compared to a $69 per night near Intern. Drive and eating quick service in parks and Ruby Tuesday at night.

Sure, if it's only one person they may only be saving $250 or so (I don't remember seeing any nonstop flights much less than $250 to anywhere in my last 7 or 8 years of travel, and some were more like $400-500... unless you're flying one of the ultra cheap budget airlines). However, you also have to consider the price of parking at the airport unless you live close enough to just take a taxi/Uber/Lyft, and even then round trip to and from the airport could be well over $100. And if you don't live near a major airport at all, then the costs start increasing pretty rapidly.

If you're talking about a family of 4, you could be spending $1000 just on plane tickets for a nonstop flight.

Last edited:

Mr Mindcrime

Agreed 100%. Our family has gotten locked into a rut of WDW, Hilton Head, and visiting National Parks. But with all that has transpired, we are now talking about European vacations as a viable if not better alternative. These days, the whole family is doing their research as we start the planning process. Thanks TWDC for pushing us to do what we should've already done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom