Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

kingdead

...no threat...ever.

I feel like that’s been said. And it was always true.

Here’s the difference: little brother up the street has cut into market share over the last 10 years.
Orlando is changing...it used to be about growing the “pie” and everyone making more off the same cut.
Now it’s going to transition to fighting for the same pie...because the consumers will not become increasingly wealthy...the opposite according to all indicators, actually.
Orlando was built on prosperous middle-class Americans taking their kids down to see Grandma and Pop Pop every summer.

Middle-class families now have less money and grandparents who are more likely to have retired somewhere other than Florida. That and tastes have changed--the kind of people who have the money to splash out on a Disney trip expect certain amenities and if they don't get them, they won't come back and they'll warn off their friends. Anecdotal but a friend went with her family recently and they're the kind of customers I would think Disney wants to attract--very affluent, willing to spend, kids young enough for multiple future visits if the trip works out. The hotel was blah, the food was bad, the early mornings stressed out the kids, etc. Will they come back? Maybe, but why not just rent a nice AirBnb and take the kids to a national park? Or once the travel restrictions are off, fly to actual Europe instead of Epcot Center? (Yes, I'm seeing people do this now with their kids where it's possible.)

Disney wants these well-off customers, but they're not delivering the kind of service that that kind of person is accustomed to--and cuts aren't going to help.

el_super

That's incorrect. The additional 4K layoffs in the first quarter of 2021 will come from Parks, Resorts and Experiences not the entire company.

Did Disney say that, because their statement was that 32,000, primarily from parks, would be let go. If they've already let go of 28,000 from the parks, that would already satisfy the criteria for "primarily." Additionally the parks have already sent additional furlough notices (primarily at Disneyland) for Nov, Jan and Feb. If they already knew they would be laying off more people, why tell them they are furloughed now, just to tell them they are fired in two weeks?

Not to say there aren't more coming, but I don't think the extra 4,000 are coming from DPEP. At least not this time around.

2021 will determine if Disney gets a V-shaped recovery or a cultural depression that will see it get taken over by hedge funds a la Time Warner and broken up for parts.

Didn't you already imply they would be broken up by now? Disney's strength is in those IPs that it owns. Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars were all purchased to make Disney a stronger company. Wall Street does not care if the parks are running or not. The parks have almost no resale value without the IPs.

Unbanshee

Did Disney say that, because their statement was that 32,000, primarily from parks, would be let go. If they've already let go of 28,000 from the parks, that would already satisfy the criteria for "primarily." Additionally the parks have already sent additional furlough notices (primarily at Disneyland) for Nov, Jan and Feb. If they already knew they would be laying off more people, why tell them they are furloughed now, just to tell them they are fired in two weeks?

Not to say there aren't more coming, but I don't think the extra 4,000 are coming from DPEP. At least not this time around.

That is correct. Anyone is able to read the filing here: https://otp.tools.investis.com/clie...&FilingId=14530203&CIK=0001744489&Index=10000

Unbanshee

Sentinel seems to think its 4k at the parks as well.

"On the day before Thanksgiving, the Walt Disney Co. revealed 4,000 more layoffs are coming in its theme parks division, bringing the total number of announced layoffs to 32,000 across the company."

If there are 28k previously announced layoffs in DPEP, and there are an additional 4k in DPEP to bring the total to "32,000 across the company" then that means there wasn't a single soul laid off from any other division. A literal impossibility. Applying a bit of logic here means that those additional 4k can't possibly *all* be DPEP and it's likely almost none of the 4k are from DPEP

Unbanshee

Let us wait and see. The Orlando Sentinel is reporting 4K additional parks resorts and experiences cast are impacted.

If there are 28k previously announced layoffs in DPEP, and there are an additional 4k in DPEP to bring the total to "32,000 across the company" then that means there wasn't a single soul laid off from any other division. A literal impossibility. Applying a bit of logic here means that those additional 4k can't possibly *all* be DPEP and it's likely almost none of the 4k are from DPEP

Perhaps you can point me in the direction of alternative logic?

Edit: "Wait and see" about what? The entire filing is there for you to read

Lilofan

ESPN are going through their layoffs. Hundreds of them are losing their jobs. There are separate write ups on that restructuring.

asianway

Sentinel is the worst news outlet for accuracy. There’s been Marvel, ESPN, and more Fox layoffs in the past few weeks, it all adds up

Unbanshee

ESPN are going through their layoffs. Hundreds of them are losing their jobs. There are separate write ups on that restructuring.

Correct. If I had to guess, there are probably about 4,000 layoffs from divisions outside of DPEP.

You can't have 28k theme park layoffs + 4k additional theme park layoffs = "32,000 across the company" to quote the sentinel

I think that saying that there are 4k more layoffs in the parks advances profits via clicks, but it doesn't advance facts or logic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Orlando was built on prosperous middle-class Americans taking their kids down to see Grandma and Pop Pop every summer.

Middle-class families now have less money and grandparents who are more likely to have retired somewhere other than Florida. That and tastes have changed--the kind of people who have the money to splash out on a Disney trip expect certain amenities and if they don't get them, they won't come back and they'll warn off their friends. Anecdotal but a friend went with her family recently and they're the kind of customers I would think Disney wants to attract--very affluent, willing to spend, kids young enough for multiple future visits if the trip works out. The hotel was blah, the food was bad, the early mornings stressed out the kids, etc. Will they come back? Maybe, but why not just rent a nice AirBnb and take the kids to a national park? Or once the travel restrictions are off, fly to actual Europe instead of Epcot Center? (Yes, I'm seeing people do this now with their kids where it's possible.)

Disney wants these well-off customers, but they're not delivering the kind of service that that kind of person is accustomed to--and cuts aren't going to help.
...it’s like you stole my brain...

(I’d put some ointment on that before it festers...by the way 😎 )

Jrb1979

Correct. If I had to guess, there are probably about 4,000 layoffs from divisions outside of DPEP.

You can't have 28k theme park layoffs + 4k additional theme park layoffs = "32,000 across the company" to quote the sentinel

I think that saying that there are 4k more layoffs in the parks advances profits via clicks, but it doesn't advance facts or logic
Does it really matter at this point. 4000 more layoffs are bad either way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to be a Debbie Downer on Thanksgiving Day, but I honestly think that 2021 will make this year seem like a picnic. Buckle up me hardies.

I agree...see below

I agree. It will more have to do with job losses and not Covid

Economics...not good.

I think from a health perspective that’s not true, but as for dealing with the after shocks of 2020, it’s going to be interesting.

Economics...not good

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom