Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

GymLeaderPhil

I don’t know if this was brought up here or elsewhere, but the Equity Actors Union had around 760 employed/contracted with Disney. Now, after the cuts were announced, there are only around 60 left - the casts of Frozen and Galaxy Edge reportedly were the only ones who were spared. Long time actors, some who have worked as early as the 1980s, are gone.

The rest are being paid by Disney through December if they refused to accept another position and separated from the company.

spectromagic04

I don’t know if this was brought up here or elsewhere, but the Equity Actors Union had around 760 employed/contracted with Disney. Now, after the cuts were announced, there are only around 60 left - the casts of Frozen and Galaxy Edge reportedly were the only ones who were spared. Long time actors, some who have worked as early as the 1980s, are gone.

The rest are being paid by Disney through December if they refused to accept another position and separated from the company.
So the dapper dans and voices of Liberty are gone?

TrainsOfDisney

So the dapper dans and voices of Liberty are gone?
Voices are advertised for the holidays but not advertised for the festival of the arts. My guess, they are gone after they sing the last we wish you a merry Christmas.

I think Dapper Dans will remain along with the Main Street Philharmonic. I haven’t heard either of those are getting cut... yet.

Slpy3270

ESPN is laying off 300 employees and revoking 200 open positions. Remote production getting the brunt of the damage but no on-air talent affected (for now; some contracts unlikely to be renewed)

Between the pandemic, the continued pivot to DTC, and the recent corporate restructuring, absolutely no surprise there.

Last edited:

tirian

Does anyone know if Derric Johnson was laid off? He was the driving force behind the Dapper Dans, Voices of Liberty, and Candlelight Processional—plus the primary vocal coach for all performers.

TrainsOfDisney

Does anyone know if Derric Johnson was laid off? He was the driving force behind the Dapper Dans, Voices of Liberty, and Candlelight Processional—plus the primary vocal coach for all performers.
His wife retired from voices a couple of years ago. I’m not sure but I didn’t think he was full time with Disney.

Slpy3270

Putting this article up in regards to the recent ESPN layoffs and why, no, they're not doomed.

Jrb1979

Putting this article up in regards to the recent ESPN layoffs and why, no, they're not doomed.
Nobody is saying ESPN or Disney is doomed. To think ESPN or Disney will be back to the way we're again is a different story

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disneyland plans to furlough additional employees in the wake of COVID-19 reopening guidelines from Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration that have left California theme parks “in limbo” for the foreseeable future.

Disneyland president Ken Potrock announced the furloughs of executive, salaried and hourly workers on Monday, Nov. 9 in a letter to cast members, Disney parlance for employees.

“Since Disneyland resort closed its gates in March, nothing has been more important than fully reopening and getting our cast members back to work,” Potrock wrote. “That’s why it is with heavy hearts we find ourselves in the untenable situation of having to institute additional furloughs for our executive, salaried and hourly cast.”

“We expected to be able to open our parks in Anaheim, given our proven ability to operate with responsible health and safety protocols as we have in all of our other theme parks around the world, but unfortunately this has not been the case,” Potrock wrote.

Furloughed Disneyland employees will maintain health and insurance benefits and are eligible for state unemployment benefits. Employees can use some or all of their paid time off at the start of the furlough period.

“These decisions and actions are difficult – and we are committed to helping our teams through this and, most importantly, getting people back to work where we can,” Potrock wrote. “While the near term will be challenging as we continue to navigate in these turbulent times, I promise you that we will continue to work tirelessly to reopen the resort and get our cast members back to work, and that my optimism for our bright future continues to be strong. I want to thank each and every one of you for your resiliency and resolve during these challenging and unpredictable times.”

Last edited:

Lilofan

A few more days until Chapek gives the Q4 update of TWDC to Wall Street in the public earnings call on Nov 12 at 430pm ET. It conveniently always starts after the stock market closes at 4pm.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I always heard not a “nice” person at all. I’ll leave it at that.

ESPN is probably the safest (in terms of making a steady profit) part of the entire Disney corporation.

Which is what makes Wall Street and media analysts' push for Disney to spin it off all the more perplexing. They're extrapolating trends that have no guarantee will happen.

But espn has made LESS money lb for lb since it’s peak in 2009. It’s not about “making money”...you get tossed if you don’t make MORE money.

Disneyland plans to furlough additional employees in the wake of COVID-19 reopening guidelines from Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration that have left California theme parks “in limbo” for the foreseeable future.

Disneyland president Ken Potrock announced the furloughs of executive, salaried and hourly workers on Monday, Nov. 9 in a letter to cast members, Disney parlance for employees.

“Since Disneyland resort closed its gates in March, nothing has been more important than fully reopening and getting our cast members back to work,” Potrock wrote. “That’s why it is with heavy hearts we find ourselves in the untenable situation of having to institute additional furloughs for our executive, salaried and hourly cast.”

“We expected to be able to open our parks in Anaheim, given our proven ability to operate with responsible health and safety protocols as we have in all of our other theme parks around the world, but unfortunately this has not been the case,” Potrock wrote.

Furloughed Disneyland employees will maintain health and insurance benefits and are eligible for state unemployment benefits. Employees can use some or all of their paid time off at the start of the furlough period.

“These decisions and actions are difficult – and we are committed to helping our teams through this and, most importantly, getting people back to work where we can,” Potrock wrote. “While the near term will be challenging as we continue to navigate in these turbulent times, I promise you that we will continue to work tirelessly to reopen the resort and get our cast members back to work, and that my optimism for our bright future continues to be strong. I want to thank each and every one of you for your resiliency and resolve during these challenging and unpredictable times.”

Potrock??

...yuck

ParentsOf4

Convenient to leave out that 2 of the other resorts were asked to close after reopening and one of them is currently closed.
We are at Disney World, having an enjoyable time with all the appropriate precautions in place, including:
  1. Mandatory masks except when eating or drinking stationary.
  2. Temperature checks at theme parks and restaurants.
  3. Extra cleaning.
  4. Many extra hand sanitizing stations.
  5. Social distancing.
  6. Capacity limits.
So far (and hoping it stays this way), there are no reports of mass outbreaks originating from Disney World. License plates in the parking lots are from numerous states: New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Illinois, Maryland, etc.

Checking this morning, the New York Times reports that Florida has 23.8 cases per 100,000. California has 15 cases per 100,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/california-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/florida-coronavirus-cases.html

If Disney World can operating under these conditions, so can Disneyland.

Magic Kingdom resized.jpg

Epcot resized.jpg

DHS resized.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom