Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

natatomic

I'm just saying - if you want to prioritize things like 'living your dream' - you own the negatives that come with those choices too.

You want to keep a job that only works a few hours a week, so you can do other things? Your choice, but don't complain about being lower seniority or your ability to pay bills...

You want a job that pays with tip dependent pay? Your choice, but don't complain about your base wages when tips are down for other reasons, etc.

People are free to make whatever life choices they want - but that doesn't entitle them to being free of consequence or entitle to guaranteed utopia. Often we keep passions as secondary things simply because while they are noble or our passion... they simply don't pay the bills or get you to where you want to be in life.. be it independence, stability, or financial means... whatever you seek.

By this lady's own statements, it looks like she's been working for Disney pretty much her whole working life... anyone vested that much, from nearly the START of their career.. you'd hope they would have advanced more than just the years served counter. Again, I don't know anything about this person individually, or what her true role is in the company... but if I were invested 15 years and still were just part time hourly work that could be replaced at any time.. I'd wonder where I'd be when my child really needs me.
I normally agree with many of your sentiments, but I’m not totally on board with you here.
Server roles are Disney are often hard to get into (long waiting lists, must have experience), because the pay is good. Not the Disney pay, but the tipping. I was once on a cast bus back to the CM parking lot after my shift ended at 2PM when a server from France got on board and sat next to me. She took out her wad of tip money and started counting...and I silently started counting with her. She had $700! And as I said, it was only 2PM and we all know WSC had only been open for 3 hours at that point!
So when you make the point about advancing in the line of work as a server...advancing to what? Managers? Managers in the Disney restaurants make probably $45k a year. Why on earth would anyone want to leave a position where they can make in one day what their boss makes in just shy of a week? Just for the sake of the title because someone might judge them for being in a “starter” position? Even I would know how to suck up my pride and put aside what people would think of me for being a server if I made that kind of dough.
Anyway, to me, a person finding themselves in this kind of job is - in normal times - smart. They didn’t need to sink themselves hundreds in thousands of dollars in debt to earn a degree to serve tables, yet they make far more money than probably most do with that level of education.
Disney has typically been a stable career choice, aside from contract work in entertainment, but that’s the nature of that beast. But being a server? In a popular restaurant at one of the most popular destinations in the entire world? Yeah, unless you murder someone on the job or there’s a worldwide pandemic (ahem), your job is secure. I can’t believe we’re actually judging this poor person for their “poor” career choice, when in any other non-once-in-a-lifetime-pandemic, her ability to make a ton of money in a starter position would normally make her incredibly successful and shrewd indeed. Who WOULDN’T want to do a basic job, make more money than their boss, and be able to spend more time with their family?
The loss of her job is nothing more than horrible, horrible luck due to the virus, not some obviously foreseeable outcome that happens to everyone in the restaurant industry.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I normally agree with many of your sentiments, but I’m not totally on board with you here.
Server roles are Disney are often hard to get into (long waiting lists, must have experience), because the pay is good. Not the Disney pay, but the tipping. I was once on a cast bus back to the CM parking lot after my shift ended at 2PM when a server from France got on board and sat next to me. She took out her wad of tip money and started counting...and I silently started counting with her. She had $700! And as I said, it was only 2PM and we all know WSC had only been open for 3 hours at that point!

So when you make the point about advancing in the line of work as a server...advancing to what? Managers? Managers in the Disney restaurants make probably $45k a year. Why on earth would anyone want to leave a position where they can make in one day what their boss makes in just shy of a week?

For the same reason traders don't stay traders... or sales people often get out of the field and into management, etc. It's not always about your gross. Like the post you quoted stated... "you own the negatives that come with those choices too".

Fishermen make huge amounts of money in short bursts... but face volitivity, zero benefits, and high risk of injury that can take them from high flying, to nothing.

I wasn't saying servers don't make money - heck, goto any resort town and you can make hundreds per day just like your example. I have family members who took advantage of the international lockdowns to do just that this summer... step into the huge staffing shortage to take high paying wait staff jobs for the summer.

My statement was simply "you own the negatives that come with those choices too" - So own the good with the bad. In this case, the employee was still a part time employee... which means limited benefits, limited hours, lower seniority, etc. It's like the people working under the table... cash now, but tradeoffs elsewhere.

Or people who make the decision to work for the government instead of the private sector... because they wanted the benefits, stability, or job security.. vs the more voltile, but higher upside private sector. There isn't a 'wrong' choice here, just people need to own both the good and bad of the choices they make.

Everyone wants to talk about the long term viability of positions and 'living wages'... yet defend jump on someone for having the audacity to suggest the lack of career or personal advancement over 15 years raises an eyebrow?

What is it people? You want to encourage stability, growth, and family support... or you want people to stick to the 'easy cash, but zero outlook' roles of part time tipped positions?

If people want to be a ODV person for 20 years... I don't care. But don't ask for empathy or handouts when the role doesn't cut it anymore and you need those things you forsake so you could 'live your dream'.

Just for the sake of the title because someone might judge them for being in a “starter” position? Even I would know how to suck up my pride and put aside what people would think of me for being a server if I made that kind of dough.

If you really have servers making 180k a year at Disney in tips (700 a day, 5 days a week) ... let them stand up and be recognized. Because those positions wouldn't be sought after in Orlando's market.. they'd be killing for it.

And again.. this isn't about putting down servers as a job... the comment was about someone being in a environment for 15+ years and still not working their way to a position of greater strength then a part time role.

Anyway, to me, a person finding themselves in this kind of job is - in normal times - smart. They didn’t need to sink themselves hundreds in thousands of dollars in debt to earn a degree to serve tables, yet they make far more money than probably most do with that level of education.
Disney has typically been a stable career choice, aside from contract work in entertainment, but that’s the nature of that beast.

Stable work... but in large park incredibly under paid with high demands. Unless all these tales of CMs living on skid row, or bunked up to the max are just outliers? And all the career roles we talk about, how crappy the pay is.

Who WOULDN’T want to do a basic job, make more money than their boss, and be able to spend more time with their family?

The people looking beyond the weekly paycheck... the people looking at their benefits, their job security, their growth as their family grows, the people looking at their retirement, etc.

If she's making 60k/yr and doing all those things on her own... great. But who wants to setup the betting line on that one?

jaklgreen

15years and still a 'server' and part-time? Sounds like a real go getter...

I take exception to you thinking that a person in service is somehow beneath you, or lazy in some way. These are honest, legitimate jobs that people have ZERO reason to be ashamed of. Only in this Country are people in these jobs looked down on. Everywhere else, these are good jobs that people support their families on. Save your condescension for those who expect hand outs and are a drain on society. You should never look down on a person making an honest living.

Ldno

I have a question, will the increase in Minimum wage for the state of florida affect the theme park industry including Disney and if so what will happen? What would be some pros and cons to this? I’ve been seeing a lot of ed off people rant off about it and the same comments about how some of them had good intentions. Just curious.

lazyboy97o

I have a question, will the increase in Minimum wage for the state of florida affect the theme park industry including Disney and if so what will happen? What would be some pros and cons to this? I’ve been seeing a lot of ****ed off people rant off about it and the same comments about how some of them had good intentions. Just curious.
I do not believe it will have much impact on Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort. Epic Universe was to open in late 2023 with a $15 minimum and I believe Walt Disney World's agreements with the unions had them hitting $15 before then. Florida will not hit $15 until 2026.

jaklgreen

I have a question, will the increase in Minimum wage for the state of florida affect the theme park industry including Disney and if so what will happen? What would be some pros and cons to this? I’ve been seeing a lot of ****ed off people rant off about it and the same comments about how some of them had good intentions. Just curious.

I don't know why so many are against raising the minimum wage. It has to be done because cost of living increases. Every other profession gets a cost of living increase except for these low level jobs. Our local grocery store that I worked at in high school and right after, is paying their employees the exact same amount, per hour, that I got 25 years ago. Why is that even possible? The cost of everything, food, housing, clothing, basic every day essentials has ALL gone up so why should wages stay stagnant? $15/hour only sounds like a lot because they failed to raise it in increments like they were supposed to. But that amount is in line for what cost of living is now. The longer we wait, the worse it will be.

Thelazer

I know a few banquet servers that drive nicer cars (and are paid off) than there managers do.

Everyone at Disney knows, once you get to Hoop or a few other select locations, your pulling in 80k a year plus doing 4 hours of work.

TrainsOfDisney

I know a few banquet servers that drive nicer cars (and are paid off) than there managers do.

Everyone at Disney knows, once you get to Hoop or a few other select locations, your pulling in 80k a year plus doing 4 hours of work.
Yeah John & Holly had to be doing great at port Orleans. Yeehaw bob kept the place packed.

I don’t get the whole ”improve your life” thing. For who? So some nobody on the Internet doesn’t judge you? If you’re making money, and have a pleasant life... keep being happy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t get the whole ”improve your life” thing. For who? So some nobody on the Internet doesn’t judge you? If you’re making money, and have a pleasant life... keep being happy.

When people complain
-- how little (if any) vacation time they get
-- how much they fear health insurance or life insurance
-- how little flexibility they have in their job
-- how they will pay for their kid's college
-- how they will find a way to retire
-- how secure not they feel in the future
-- how they wish they had more than they do

Be sure to just tell them 'If your making money.. keep being happy'

While you are at it.. be sure to tell them how useless their unions are too... they are just taking money away from them too right??

Lilofan

When people complain

While you are at it.. be sure to tell them how useless their unions are too... they are just taking money away from them too right??
Odd that execs that I reported to shared the same concerns. It's a small world after all...

Last edited:

Polkadotdress

When people complain

A non-hourly worker here, feeling those same concerns.

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
When people complain
Welcome to Club (almost) Everybody.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A non-hourly worker here, feeling those same concerns.

Yes, but they are reasons people try to advance career goals... besides just dreams and focusing on dollars 'right now'.

A better job doesn't guarantee any of those things... but statistically you are going to be better positioned than the person working a part time role that is easily replaced by nearly anyone.

The question was to paraphrase 'why should anyone care if they are making good money and are happy'. The answer is because 'the long game' not just right now.

Vegas Disney Fan

When people complain

You just described why I got out of management and went back to bartending.

Lilofan

Yes, but they are reasons people try to advance career goals... besides just dreams and focusing on dollars 'right now'.

A better job doesn't guarantee any of those things... but statistically you are going to be better positioned than the person working a part time role that is easily replaced by nearly anyone.

The question was to paraphrase 'why should anyone care if they are making good money and are happy'. The answer is because 'the long game' not just right now.
Some even take a big risk in quitting a job, getting another job at a lower pay in a start up company in hopes of advancing quickly and potential higher income. It doesn't always work out that way.

Polkadotdress

Well, check that math, because despite my tenure, skills, expertise, and FT non-hourly status, I am among the countless that got laid off across the country recently.

And at best, there are ONLY part-time jobs available in my “neck-of-the-woods” right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom