Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

nickys

Premium Member
So you are saying this lady is learning disabled? And drawing this conclusion based on her staying in such a role?

Or just trying to defend completely hypothetical situations not related to the case at hand?

Your argument is noble... but it's like defending against someone's failure to meet standards because SOMEWHERE out there, there are people with disabilities that can't. Correct -- but is it applicable here??
I wasn’t aware this conversation was about a specific person. I read a few pages, what I saw were posts from you where you were disparaging people who spend years in a part-time role. So my point is that there are many varied reasons why someone could be in that situation.

Not all learning disabilities are visible. Not sure how such things are defined in the US but here anything such as dyslexia, autism etc would be classed as such. There are also people who simply don’t have the ability to progress beyond a basic level of education or training.

TrainsOfDisney

I suppose this pin and the service award statue that is given out with it should read “30 years of not advancing or bettering myself”

All of the cm’s that I have spoken with take pride in their decades with the company. The thought that anyone would look down on them or judge them for doing that is literally hard for me to believe. And yet here we are.

Attachments

• E3F3F975-86B6-46BF-ADB4-CDE3A898C56D.jpeg
    E3F3F975-86B6-46BF-ADB4-CDE3A898C56D.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 52

UNCgolf

Working a job is working a job. Being a server is a job and can be a career.

I’ve never once thought that 10+ year cm’s that recognize me with a smile are not furthering themselves or bettering themselves. John & Holly at the Riverroost for example, Jim, Bob and Carol at the pianos, etc.

I'm guessing that servers at Disney make very good money, if only because most of the food is overpriced and the restaurants are constantly full. They should be making a lot of money in tips.

I'm not sure how the Disney Dining Plan affects that, though.

kong1802

I'm guessing that servers at Disney make very good money, if only because most of the food is overpriced and the restaurants are constantly full. They should be making a lot of money in tips.

I'm not sure how the Disney Dining Plan affects that, though.

Problem they have (I knew a few) is that tipping isn't secondary to the international crowd.

They don't rake in what you would assume (at least the ones I knew).

UNCgolf

Problem they have (I knew a few) is that tipping isn't secondary to the international crowd.

They don't rake in what you would assume (at least the ones I knew).

Yeah, but don't they automatically add a gratuity for parties of 6 or more? That should help some for the larger groups. It's a good point though, since tipping is really an American/Canadian thing.

I also just looked and tips aren't included on the Disney Dining Plan. That's probably a huge hit, because in addition to at least some of the internationals not tipping at all, I bet a lot of American visitors tip less (or even not at all) than they would if they were actually paying the bill as normal. A server might get $5 on what would normally be a $100 bill instead of $20.

They probably made more before the DDP was instituted.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wasn’t aware this conversation was about a specific person. I read a few pages, what I saw were posts from you where you were disparaging people who spend years in a part-time role. So my point is that there are many varied reasons why someone could be in that situation.

I made a comment about the person highlighted in this video. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...tatement-from-josh-damaro.970479/post-9514377

Everyone else decided they should expand their attack on my comment by deciding there should be any possibility of reasons... including ones that don't include her.

Lilofan

Working a job is working a job. Being a server is a job and can be a career.

I’ve never once thought that 10+ year cm’s that recognize me with a smile are not furthering themselves or bettering themselves. John & Holly at the Riverroost for example, Jim, Bob and Carol at the pianos, etc.
Also it's common for Iger, Chapek, D'Amaro to comment and value the Disney cast continuously regardless of their role or how many years they have been in the role. It's these cast that make the magic whether they move up in the company or not.

nickys

Premium Member
I made a comment about the person highlighted in this video. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...tatement-from-josh-damaro.970479/post-9514377

Everyone else decided they should expand their attack on my comment by deciding there should be any possibility of reasons... including ones that don't include her.
You have me at a disadvantage there because the video is blocked for me.

Regardless, disparaging someone for having what you seem to consider a dead-end job IMO shows a lack of empathy for anyone not able to meet your high standards.

In any case, special needs or not, I know plenty of people who’ve worked in restaurants and coffee shops for many years. They served me when my boys were toddlers and still ask after them now. I have family friends who have owned and run their restaurant for 30 years; one of their sons has worked there serving since he was 17.

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
If someone plays their part in society they deserve the same respect as anyone else no matter their job. Some jobs are ‘doers’ and some are ‘enablers’ but we need all of them to get along
Well said. I can't remember where I read or saw this, but there was a hypothetical illustration once describing statistics that, if by a magical force, every adult on the planet woke up one morning as college educated and skilled in top tier trades, there would actually be much more poverty and suffering on the planet than there is today. Gluts in almost every industry and sector of the job market as the qualified and over-qualified far outflood the job availability, astronomical turnover rates by those not at the top, more intellectual minds creating new ideas to automate and reduce the need for human labor. It wouldn't be the paradise we imagine it would be. I'm not saying we shouldn't all strive to be our best, but we also shouldn't look down at those who are doing their best at careers we don't consider elite.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well said. I can't remember where I read or saw this, but there was a hypothetical illustration once describing statistics that, if by a magical force, every adult on the planet woke up one morning as college educated and skilled in top tier trades, there would actually be much more poverty and suffering on the planet than there is today. Gluts in almost every industry and sector of the job market as the qualified and over-qualified far outflood the job availability, astronomical turnover rates by those not at the top, more intellectual minds creating new ideas to automate and reduce the need for human labor. It wouldn't be the paradise we imagine it would be. I'm not saying we shouldn't all strive to be our best, but we also shouldn't look down at those who are doing their best at careers we don't consider elite.
The ditches would be dug by those who engineered them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You have me at a disadvantage there because the video is blocked for me.

Regardless, disparaging someone for having what you seem to consider a dead-end job IMO shows a lack of empathy for anyone not able to meet your high standards.

In any case, special needs or not, I know plenty of people who’ve worked in restaurants and coffee shops for many years. They served me when my boys were toddlers and still ask after them now. I have family friends who have owned and run their restaurant for 30 years; one of their sons has worked there serving since he was 17.

So once again... contrasting things that have nothing to do with the case at hand.

pretty sure mrs here isn’t running her own business nor working to support the family business working at wdw.

DisneyTransport

So once again... contrasting things that have nothing to do with the case at hand.

pretty sure mrs here isn’t running her own business nor working to support the family business working at wdw.
Thats the thing, your assuming. You don't know who she is, just how the political ad chose to show her as. She could very well have other things going on. You have no right to judge her character from a position of ignorance

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thats the thing, your assuming. You don't know who she is, just how the political ad chose to show her as. She could very well have other things going on. You have no right to judge her character from a position of ignorance

Well it's safe to assume she's not a Bob Iger or Disney family member.. so I stand by that without any concerns.

Vegas Disney Fan

Being a server is a job and can be a career.

It can also be very profitable, I was in management for years and went back to bartending because it pays more, is less hours, is less stressful, and is fun. When I was in management it took an act of Congress to get time off, I was on call 24/7, I took my job home with me, etc... now I go in, work my hours, and when I clock out at the end of the day I don’t think about work until my next shift, there’s a lot of freedom that comes with being a front line employee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom