News 2023 EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays

DisneyDreamerxyz

No one ever seems to mention the "Lights of Winter" display that used to be at Epcot every year. Not sure why they stopped doing this.

Lights-of-Winter_Full_8986.jpg

V_L_Raptor

I stopped in for a few hours last night. It did my classic EPCOT heart some good to see Soarin' with a fifteen minute (actually near walk on) wait and the Glittering Greenhouses with a wait near fifty minutes.

For me, that's the best light display on property, especially because it's done by greenhouse technical staff. When and where I was in grad school, there was no such enthusiasm or participation for anything merry whatsoever, so seeing the agricultural tech folks get into some joy every year hits a deep and tender spot. I'm sure the folks from the park decorating crew are involved -- those cutouts and giant Christmas ornaments definitely don't ship out of the Fisher catalog -- but it's the folks working with the plants that do the display. And that's delightful!

Comped

I stopped in for a few hours last night. It did my classic EPCOT heart some good to see Soarin' with a fifteen minute (actually near walk on) wait and the Glittering Greenhouses with a wait near fifty minutes.

For me, that's the best light display on property, especially because it's done by greenhouse technical staff. When and where I was in grad school, there was no such enthusiasm or participation for anything merry whatsoever, so seeing the agricultural tech folks get into some joy every year hits a deep and tender spot. I'm sure the folks from the park decorating crew are involved -- those cutouts and giant Christmas ornaments definitely don't ship out of the Fisher catalog -- but it's the folks working with the plants that do the display. And that's delightful!
Even the FDA gets in on the act! (No seriously, their lab has some decorations in it.)

JohnD

I'm sure this has been asked a gazillion times but how long is standby normally for the Candlelight Processional? To make a long story short, I decided to cancel a Hoop Dee Doo show the evening of 12/14 so I could be in Epcot longer because of all the new things going on. Second, I know this show has Brendan Fraser. I already have a VIP ticket for Friday night 12/15.

Brian

Noticed the Candlelight narration was changed, perhaps not this year. Previously, the narration included the biblically correct:

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

It has been changed to:

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward all.

While I understand that Disney is on an inclusion crusade, this is a deliberate misquote of the what Christians consider the word of the Lord. That they would willfully misquote the Bible just to avoid using the word "men" is, frankly, abhorrent.

James Alucobond

While I understand that Disney is on an inclusion crusade, this is a deliberate misquote of the what Christians consider the word of the Lord. That they would willfully misquote the Bible just to avoid using the word "men" is, frankly, abhorrent.
There are many translations used by different denominations. Some translations just grant good will toward "those with whom God is pleased".

Brian

There are many translations used by different denominations. Some translations just grant good will toward "those with whom God is pleased".
I would have preferred they switch to that translation if they wanted to keep it gender neutral, instead of seemingly making up their own.

James Alucobond

I would have preferred they switch to that translation if they wanted to keep it gender neutral, instead of seemingly making up their own.
I am honestly not entirely sure that there isn't a translation that follows what was said. I don't know all of them. Sometimes only good will is granted, sometimes only peace, sometimes both. Sometimes the recipients are men, sons of men, men and women, those on whom His favor rests, those with whom He is pleased, etc. It's not a simple translation from the source, which in itself is probably a translation.

Brian

I absolutely love the fact that Disney has changed the ridiculous language of the bible that only wishes goodwill towards "men" to wishing goodwill towards "all". Well done Disney, Well Done!!
"Goodwill towards men" was widely accepted for millennia to mean women as well, the same way that "mankind" doesn't just refer to all the men on Earth. That is why literally nobody had a problem with it until new genders started being made up in the 21st century, causing this expression, after having been OK for thousands of years, to somehow be considered verboten.

But I suspect you already knew that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I understand that Disney is on an inclusion crusade, this is a deliberate misquote
No it's not.

The Latin is "et in Terra pax volutantis hominibus" which is literally "and on earth peace to people of goodwill." And that is what the catholic church uses in its liturgy.

Vir is man. Femina is woman. Homo is human/people.

Prior translations into English that use 'man' are wrong.

Brian

No it's not.

The Latin is "et in Terra pax volutantis hominibus" which is literally "and on earth peace to people of goodwill." And that is what the catholic church uses in its liturgy.

Vir is man. Femina is woman. is human/people.

Prior translations into English that use 'man' are wrong.
Then why not change it to "and on earth, peace to people of goodwill?" Sure, it's not the most eloquent, by modern standards at least, but many of the other quotes in the show also adopt similar "strange" (again, by modern standards) wording.

JohnD

Noticed the Candlelight narration was changed, perhaps not this year. Previously, the narration included the biblically correct:

It has been changed to:

I get it. But many translations change "men" to variations of everyone. The version you reference is KJV. Here is ESV which is considered one of the most closely English translations from the original Greek:

“"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭2‬:‭14‬ ‭ESV‬‬

So changing one word from the KJV of "men" to "all" is really not that bad and closer to the ESV anyway.

Brian

I get it. But many translations change "men" to variations of everyone. The version you reference is KJV. Here is ESV which is considered one of the most closely English translations from the original Greek:

“"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭2‬:‭14‬ ‭ESV‬‬

So changing one word from the KJV of "men" to "all" is really not that bad and closer to the ESV anyway.
I'm not necessarily opposed to changing it from "men" to something which can be more easily understood to include women as well, I'd have just preferred they take a widely-accepted translation and run with it instead of (seemingly) coming up with their own.

I'm Jewish, so needless to say, I'm not an expert on the New Testament. If there is a widely-accepted translation from which they derived the script change, I'd love to be wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom