News 2023 EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays

Comped

The narration is a holiday version though. The narration is not the same as the regular attractions narration. I find some of it to be interesting. Maybe they could play holiday music in the background and trim down the narration a little bit?
Oh I'm well aware it's different... But I'd just prefer the songs rather than the narration.

Disone

Oh I'm well aware it's different... But I'd just prefer the songs rather than the narration.
Oh i know as per your context that you're well aware, but the people reading this forum who haven't been on the attraction might not be so that's why I said that.

SpectreJordan

I'm an atheist who would be absolutely livid if they removed the Candlelight Processional. It's one of the best offerings in EPCOT year round, and to lose the music and choir would be a disgrace.

Regardless of religion, it's a beautiful ceremony that should be celebrated, along with all the other storytellers this time of year. This is the strongest festival that best exemplifies EPCOT.
It's a great way to emphasize the various cultures of the world. I wish they'd expand it to have similar events for other religious holidays. Let's have a bigger Chanukkah presence, Diwali, an Islamic holiday, etc...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's a great way to emphasize the various cultures of the world. I wish they'd expand it to have similar events for other religious holidays. Let's have a bigger Chanukkah presence, Diwali, an Islamic holiday, etc...
Those religious holidays haven't been associated with Winter.

Yet.

So, when you sing "that special feeling of this time of year", no one is going to associate it with Hanukkah. Some of them are going to have to move to either late Winter or mid-Summer. And Hallmark will have to market it.

;)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Holiday decor added to EPCOT's new World Celebration Gardens​

Holidays-Around-the-World-at-Epcot_Full_54374.jpg

Holidays-Around-the-World-at-Epcot_Full_54378.jpg

More photos https://www.wdwmagic.com/events/hol...decor-in-epcots-world-celebration-gardens.htm

SpectreJordan

Those religious holidays haven't been associated with Winter.

Yet.

So, when you sing "that special feeling of this time of year", no one is going to associate it with Hanukkah. Some of them are going to have to move to either late Winter or mid-Summer. And Hallmark will have to market it.

;)
Honestly, I don't care when they do it. I just think it'd be cool if they did more in general.

Comped

Brian

On that note, hopefully they come up with some unique holiday decor for the new World Celebration gardens and Communicore Hall for next year. It doesn't have to be Lights of Winter level, but something unique to the area would be nice.

Comped

The announcements before Candlelight claiming it started in 1958 are incorrect and it annoys me. 1955-59 had choirs parading down Main Street at DL, and then singing either at the train station or the castle... (Disney claims this only happen in 1958 and 1959, but in reality it happened as early as Christmas 1955 according to Dr. Charles Hirt, who was tasked with training all involved at the time) But a celebrity narrator and other elements since (including much of the music) wasn't added until 1960. And nobody can argue the show works without the narrator...

Just annoys me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The announcements before Candlelight claiming it started in 1958 are incorrect and it annoys me. 1955-59 had choirs parading down Main Street at DL, and then singing either at the train station or the castle... (Disney claims this only happen in 1958 and 1959, but in reality it happened as early as Christmas 1955 according to Dr. Charles Hirt, who was tasked with training all involved at the time) But a celebrity narrator and other elements since (including much of the music) wasn't added until 1960. And nobody can argue the show works without the narrator...

Just annoys me.
Well, at least that made it a "processional."

When they stopped having a procession, it's no longer a "processional."

And since candle light is not their primary source of light, it's not "candlelight."

The Candlelight Processional is neither candlelit, nor a processional (and "entering the stage" is not a procession).

It could be worse tho. They could have added "Vigil" at the end. <shudder>

Comped

And since candle light is not their primary source of light, it's not "candlelight."

The Candlelight Processional is neither candlelit, nor a processional (and "entering the stage" is not a procession).

You and I disagree on what processional means in this regard, because what Disney has done since 1994 on this coast absolutely fits in the definition. Notably candlelight was also never the only source of light either even as far back as 1955...

DisneyDreamerxyz

I sing in Candlelight and they tell us to pretend it's a real flame ;)

also I wish more people realized it's cast members that sing in both late shows. only the first show (5.15) is high school choirs.

Comped

I sing in Candlelight and they tell us to pretend it's a real flame ;)

also I wish more people realized it's cast members that sing in both late shows. only the first show (5.15) is high school choirs.
It was a real flame many years ago... Before WDW was built I'm pretty sure (at least in the 50's and maybe 60's?). Battery-powered candles are simply safer with the long flowing robes that are standard...

Also TIL. I thought CMs only made up the tree for all 3 shows! (the tree is most notably less filled this year, or at least when I saw it tonight, sadly.)

DisneyDreamerxyz

It was a real flame many years ago... Before WDW was built I'm pretty sure (at least in the 50's and maybe 60's?). Battery-powered candles are simply safer with the long flowing robes that are standard...

Also TIL. I thought CMs only made up the tree for all 3 shows! (the tree is most notably less filled this year, or at least when I saw it tonight, sadly.)
the center tree is Voices of Liberty, who while yes are technically cast-members as well, they are also getting paid to sing and are professional singers as their full-time job. Those in gold robes for the 7:00 and 8:30 shows are volunteer cast-members from all over the company, from Cruise Line, Executives, Housekeeping, every role. The 5.15. show is a visiting high school choir.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom