News 2023 EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays

fgmnt

Pretty much settled, keep the Bible and religion out of any theme park. Leave it for church time.
As a somewhat lapsed Christian and themed entertainment history need freak, I find it really fascinating that Candlelight Processional persists in the parks to this day. It's borderline anachronistic; if it did not exist as it does today, it would not be created. This, like Hoop De Doo, are these things I wonder if some executives in parks department even know exist. They're legacy institutions that serve a very small number of people, but they make the money they need to in order to avoid extensive and untoward meddling by people who don't respect them.

Brian

As a somewhat lapsed Christian and themed entertainment history need freak, I find it really fascinating that Candlelight Processional persists in the parks to this day. It's borderline anachronistic; if it did not exist as it does today, it would not be created. This, like Hoop De Doo, are these things I wonder if some executives in parks department even know exist. They're legacy institutions that serve a very small number of people, but they make the money they need to in order to avoid extensive and untoward meddling by people who don't respect them.
Sadly, you are 100% right. It's the kind of thing that would be a horrible loss if it were to be taken away, but completely unsurprising given the attitudes of large swaths of society, and Disney's as well, today.

Touchdown

Candlelight at DLR barely making its money back to continue to exist, at Epcot it’s a major source of revenue, those dining packages sell out every night for three shows, it’s making Disney significant coin, and has not been replicated with other events (dining packages for F&W F&G and FotA do not sell out.)

Comped

I know there are many upper level executives who actually love Candlelight and bring their families every year.
Has been ever since it was brought over from DL. 1 former park VP I talked to a while back said that he would always turn off his phone while he was watching it with his wife and kids - the only time he'd do so while in the parks. Others also love it quite a bit (interestingly, there was at one point discussions about bringing the event to Tokyo which didn't happen because OLC was cool on the idea, while Paris had other factors to consider).

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
To have a telling of the story of Christmas is a beautiful part of all the great stories being told around World Showcase this time of year. Some listen because they believe, others listen to admire or learn and others walk past it. That’s the beauty of it all at Epcot
Imo, this time of year is when World Showcase truly shines. It is one of the only times of year when it lives up to its name; showcasing the holiday traditions around the world.

lightningtap347

I'm an atheist who would be absolutely livid if they removed the Candlelight Processional. It's one of the best offerings in EPCOT year round, and to lose the music and choir would be a disgrace.

Regardless of religion, it's a beautiful ceremony that should be celebrated, along with all the other storytellers this time of year. This is the strongest festival that best exemplifies EPCOT.

Brian

I'm an atheist who would be absolutely livid if they removed the Candlelight Processional. It's one of the best offerings in EPCOT year round, and to lose the music and choir would be a disgrace.

Regardless of religion, it's a beautiful ceremony that should be celebrated, along with all the other storytellers this time of year. This is the strongest festival that best exemplifies EPCOT.
I'm Jewish, and have similar sentiments. It doesn't make me feel left out or anything, and I appreciate the beauty of the performance and the Christmas story.

Comped

Kind of curious - is Jack Jason doing Marlee's interpreting? He usually does in public appearances (and some films, except notably for The West Wing).

Disone

It's the best holiday overlay at WDW now. Nothing comes close.
Agree. I've watched this slowly grow from something that look like a few of the gardeners that worked there went to Target and bought some Christmas lights to what it is now, easily Walt Disney World's best holiday layover. It is a fantastic offering that does not get enough love or marketing.

Disone

That may be a little bit of a stretch ;)

I still think WDW can do a heck of a lot better. There are residential houses better decorated than Living with the Land.
I no longer think this statement is true. No it's not the Osborne I'll give you that but it's not fair to imply the average residential house is better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
20231209_185109.jpg
20231209_185102.jpg
20231209_185059.jpg
20231209_185032.jpg
20231209_185007.jpg

Comped

I went on Saturday evening (perhaps 6:30 by the time I made it through the LL/DAS line - standby was about 70 minutes when I came in) - and I really do wish they'd stop the narration in the greenhouse and play Christmas music or something. The narration was more of a distraction than anything else! I'm not here to learn about cacao, I'm here to look at some pretty lights! Save the narration for daytime.

Disone

I went on Saturday evening (perhaps 6:30 by the time I made it through the LL/DAS line - standby was about 70 minutes when I came in) - and I really do wish they'd stop the narration in the greenhouse and play Christmas music or something. The narration was more of a distraction than anything else! I'm not here to learn about cacao, I'm here to look at some pretty lights! Save the narration for daytime.
The narration is a holiday version though. The narration is not the same as the regular attractions narration. I find some of it to be interesting. Maybe they could play holiday music in the background and trim down the narration a little bit?

Fido Chuckwagon

Lol, Disney gets a lot of deserved hate on these boards, but come on… You’re mad because, even though Disney has candlelight processional, you’re confident they would get rid of it if they realized they were doing it?

fgmnt

Lol, Disney gets a lot of deserved hate on these boards, but come on… You’re mad because, even though Disney has candlelight processional, you’re confident they would get rid of it if they realized they were doing it?
Inverse. If it didn’t already exist, no one would make it the way it is now. And that’s not something I am “mad” about, I’m just speaking to how different the company is now compared to how it was in the 70s and 80s. Regardless, I don’t really hold any ill will towards the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom