2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

Tony the Tigger

It's been a 20 year run. Let it go, let it go.

They have no obligation to replace it with anything.

To say you will miss it, fine. To whine and say you have no reason to go at Christmas anymore, that's silly.

As usual, none of us know for certain what is coming down the pike. We can't know that it won't be even better.

Expect change.

wdwjmp239

I would think bringing back some of the old holiday classics would be the answer, but as the WDWMagic Moderator said - Disney would have to step it up. Though, the cost to reproduce the classics would be expensive to put together. But, if the masses come and Disney can justify the cost, they'll go forward. For example, the Country Bear Jamboree Christmas special was cut from DisneyWorld in 2005 due to music copyright issues, but according to Wikipedia, there may be a return of this show in the future. My guess (and just a guess) is that Disney had to work out the copyright/permission issues to use songs like "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer." Makes sense...copyright infringement/permission law suits aren't settled overnight so here we are....10 years later. Maybe? We'll see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Bear_Christmas_Special

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
They could always put up some facades along the walkway from HS to the BW. Throw in character interaction and they can and upsell it as a desert party.
In IMO I think Disney chose to scale down the holiday decorations in the other parks for 2 reasons. First, to get you to buy tickets to MVMCP. Second, barring that, to bring up the visitor rate at HS. If not for Osbourne, we would probably skip HS at holiday time. I will say that I've already reached out to the family to get a last trip in to see the lights. Others may be planning unscheduled trips for the same reason. More revenue now as opposed to announcing something and having people say "I've seen Osbourne already so no need to rush back, I'll plan a trip for next year to see X." This way, they hook us twice. Again, just my $.02.

Tigger1988

I agree, but, I'm hesitant to bring up Disney's politically correct reason in their march away from celebrating 'Christmas'. This is their golden opportunity to ditch the Nativity, Angels and Joy to the World. They don't want to make any of their guests feel uncomfortable.
Watch less Fox News.

If they wanted to ditch all that they had ample opportunity over the last 20 years.

Uncle Lupe

I never saw it in person but I would not base a trip around just one offering.

Any financial loss will be minimal in with the year round offerings being built.

If you want dancing lights finding them local should not be hard. Even the Columbus Zoo puts on a decent display.
DSC0576_7_8_Wildlights_1024-1024x634.jpg

Biff215

I agree, but, I'm hesitant to bring up Disney's politically correct reason in their march away from celebrating 'Christmas'. This is their golden opportunity to ditch the Nativity, Angels and Joy to the World. They don't want to make any of their guests feel uncomfortable.
I have to disagree on that reasoning. If they were truly worried about offending others, shows like the Candlelight Processional would no longer exist and the Night of Joy I watched last night wouldn't be held in the MK. If it makes money, it stays. It's a bit harder to determine just how much the Osbourne lights bring, but I guess they'll find out in 2016.

My guess is that they will offer a holiday fireworks show. It's not a fair replacement but would help draw crowds like the lights did.

I'm not complaining about the new attractions that hopefully take their place, just that Disney offers less and less to make a holiday trip worth it.

Tony the Tigger

They could always put up some facades along the walkway from HS to the BW. Throw in character interaction and they can and upsell it as a desert party.
In IMO I think Disney chose to scale down the holiday decorations in the other parks for 2 reasons. First, to get you to buy tickets to MVMCP. Second, barring that, to bring up the visitor rate at HS. If not for Osbourne, we would probably skip HS at holiday time. I will say that I've already reached out to the family to get a last trip in to see the lights. Others may be planning unscheduled trips for the same reason. More revenue now as opposed to announcing something and having people say "I've seen Osbourne already so no need to rush back, I'll plan a trip for next year to see X." This way, they hook us twice. Again, just my $.02.

Methinks you're on the right track, there. Plus they may not have anything set in stone yet for 2016.

Jacqueline N.

Would have moved to see it but won't be back in WDW until next November. This trip will be my second, any suggestions on things to do or see during a November/December stay?

POLY LOVER

I'm thrilled with this announcement, losing 2 months of lights for12 months of rides, shows, and shops is an easy choice. With the remaining Christmas decorations at the resorts and parks, not to mention the processional and Santa's around the world at Epcot, Christmas will still be my favorite time to visit. Disneyland is stunning at Christmas and they have never had anything on the massive scale of the Osbourne lights. Maybe they can find a building somewhere to light up like It's a small world at DL.
Sure closing it down during construction is understandable but removing it forever is nuts, it's a family resort and this just screams family event. Bad move plain and simple

MKCP 1985

Loyal readers of these forums have known this was coming - or been told at least. Still, I will be sad to see it go. I'm glad we made a special trip while there was still time - and people can go this year, but so many things have been closed at the Studios Park now.

What can replace it, indeed? There is nothing at Disney like it!

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Loyal readers of these forums have known this was coming - or been told at least. Still, I will be sad to see it go. I'm glad we made a special trip while there was still time - and people can go this year, but so many things have been closed at the Studios Park now.

What can replace it, indeed? There is nothing at Disney like it!
I doubt anything at DHS will replace it. Hopefully, Epcot, DAK, and MK can get a few more things. I personally love the Storytellers at Epcot and would like more of that.

parker4fm

Not a credible rumor. Disney doesn't want to put holes and mounting hardware all over their brand new buildings, and have 6 months each year of them being installed/removed. Never mind the operational issues that would come from it. Disney Springs is about shopping and dining, it isn't setup for a theme park show experience.

I believe if there was any possibility of the existing lights returning in an alternate location, we would have heard it today. The Osborne Lights will end permanently at the end of this season.

I know they won't move them to Disney Springs, but I'm sure the retailers there would love the extra guests. It would bring in a lot more revenue to Disney Springs without question. And it's a better fit than World Showcase. They could truly move it to a large warehouse and people would go...

I never saw it in person but I would not base a trip around just one offering.

Any financial loss will be minimal in with the year round offerings being built.

If you want dancing lights finding them local should not be hard. Even the Columbus Zoo puts on a decent display.
DSC0576_7_8_Wildlights_1024-1024x634.jpg

Seeing it in person really makes a difference. I didn't think it looked that special in photos, but when we went last year it was so much more amazing than I had expected. Agree about the financial loss though- new lands will more than make up for it.

I agree that I can see dancing lights elsewhere. But I can also ride coasters or see shows elsewhere too- they just aren't as enjoyable as what I get at Disney. I think the park needs Toy Story and Star Wars Lands, and I am glad construction is coming. I don't think the Streets add much to the park most of the year. But I really enjoyed the lights. They were the only real holiday item I noticed at the parks last year (we did not attend MVMCP). As far as the future of HS, the construction is a big plus and will add a lot to the park. But as far as experiencing the holiday season at Disney, this is a big loss.

Next Big Thing

The usual as in nothing
You always say nothing is happening as more and more happens and is announced. They aren't closing up shop for nothing and they're starting TSL work in October. Star Wars work begins next year per Staggs.

Nothing will change your opinion obviously that Disney is the worst it's ever been and it will never, ever be good again.

Graham9

Absolutely gutted! We come to WDW in early December with the Lights being the main attraction for that time of year. Its a major crowd pull and there is nowhere which captures the atmosphere like the Dancing Lights.

Surely, they could relocate them to another area or park? Or is it they can't be bothered? It was bad enough they got rid of that archway of lights at Epcot - now this :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Seriously not happy :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom