2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

hopemax

Disney should do just like the Trailer Park Trash around here and leave the decorations up year round (just unplug them during the warmer months).

It would save a ton of cash to not have all that labor cost every year.

Win/Win situation.

Actually, that gives me an idea...move the lights to Ft Wilderness. The guests already do their own version.

Tony the Tigger

I want to start off by saying that I have never seen the dancing lights in person, although I just so happen to be visiting this Christmas for the final run of the lights!

I don't understand the amount of people saying that there will be no reason for them to visit during Christmas once the lights are gone. Do you really go to Disney in December specifically to watch some lights turn off and on to music? I have no doubt that it's a fantastic show and don't mean to diminish it in any way but come on, there's plenty of reasons to visit during the holiday season. Maybe not as many as before but I have confidence that once a large portion of the building finishes, they will have more time to focus on these types of holiday events.

Disney has so much on their plate right now that the people managing all of these projects deserve a raise in my opinion. I can barely remember to take a frozen pizza out of the oven! As people always say here, things have to get worse before they get better.

^^^This.

Tony the Tigger

How many unique holiday offerings are left, especially those that can be experienced without a ticket or package? Going during the holiday season is typically more expensive all around, as well as being busier around Thanksgiving/Christmas Day/New Years when many people can go.

We go twice a year religiously, and December used to be a special treat as it got us in the Christmas spirit. Now I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra money and dealing with the crowds if I can just go in January and get the same experience.

Just my opinion, and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on what still makes your holiday trip worth it.

It's not unique. It's less than Disney in my opinion. There are nut jobs in every city who do this to their homes. There were TV competition shows about it last year. It's played out.

Tony the Tigger

The point I am making is there shouldn't need to be a trade off. Both are entirely possible not saying with the lights, but holiday entertainment shouldn't die off forever just for expansions or new attractions. The lights can die sure, but I would hope Disney has a killer replacement in the works. Seasonal offerings like this help to keep things fresh year round.

When is Disney not decorated for Christmas? It will happen. They don't know us a detailed plan right this minute.

Biff215

It's not unique. It's less than Disney in my opinion. There are nut jobs in every city who do this to their homes. There were TV competition shows about it last year. It's played out.
Certainly true that there are far more places to see crazy light displays these days, but in my opinion Disney does it much better in many ways. A theme park environment is much more enjoyable than simply driving by a display or watching the shows on tv. Someone I grew up with who was featured on one of those shows lives nearby, and we visit their display several times each December. It still doesn't compare to what the Osborne lights offer, and of course it's not in WDW either! For me, there's just something about standing in the street with thousands of people just taking it all in.

The Osborne lights have a great history and have become a tradition for many families. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, much like many attractions in the parks, but to some they make the parks special during the holidays. Their time has come apparently due to new additions to the park, and that's fine with me. Everyone has their own reasons for visiting the parks, and my family and many others will miss them.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The point I am making is there shouldn't need to be a trade off. Both are entirely possible not saying with the lights, but holiday entertainment shouldn't die off forever just for expansions or new attractions. The lights can die sure, but I would hope Disney has a killer replacement in the works. Seasonal offerings like this help to keep things fresh year round.

Seasonal offerings?? Where do you think you are, Disneyland?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can't wait for the line to "ride" the monorail.

Well.. if you put more than one thing to do out there.. and you add things like continuous shows... you actually distribute loads.

Instead of building something 'everyone must do' and only providing one of them... create lots of smaller attractions that are available concurrently. Stop feeding the commando 'we must do it all' mentality that Disney has been fostering.

ULPO46

The reason why the lights are going away is because streets of America will be disappearing. This area will become the new star wars land. Expect to hear from TWDC in 2-3 months that LCA will be shutdown and removed to add for further expansion. TSL will take up where half of the back lot tour took space. There will be about 10-15 acres left after the two projects for a future land/attraction based on future IP's. Yes i agree its sad to see this go especially since this was the only park i could ever see a Menorah and a Dreidel lit up during Hanukkah season. But times change and things disappear. But star wars land will be huge.

ULPO46

Thus the rumors that star tours will be the main entrance to the new land are true. Echo lake is a later phase. Possibly the phase 4 that everyones talking about.

HauntedMansionFLA

Thus the rumors that star tours will be the main entrance to the new land are true. Echo lake is a later phase. Possibly the phase 4 that everyones talking about.
I wonder if those Middle Earth rumors will start to pop up again. But JRR Tolken hated Walt Disney because he would dumb down classic literature to make cartoons. But things change .

ULPO46

I wonder if those Middle Earth rumors will start to pop up again. But JRR Tolken hated Walt Disney because he would dumb down classic literature to make cartoons. But things change .
I wish! It be a huge rivalry to Harry Potter buti dont think it could ever happen. i see a Narnia land but thats a long shot of never happening.

Sped2424

Until the magic kingdom attendance drops....I don't think they care....fact is they don't NEED to do season offerings. Hard tickets are an exception since they directly bring ROI. Fact is year after year more guests go to Disney world. If they take things away and the trend continues? Money left on the table.
That's great but I am not arguing what they need to do as obviously they don't need to expand or even build new rides given how attendance always is.. I am arguing what they should do for the best experience and I don't see an issue in saying holiday entertainment is a plus.

ToTBellHop

No. Phase 4 will be south. Portions of Echo Lake are included in SWL. They just don't have to announce closures there yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom