2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

wdwgreek

We really don't know for sure. It seems pretty likely Streets of America is going away, they question is, what will replace it.
does it make sense to close that open space? I mean the capacity of the park without muppets or lights motor action will be horrid.

culturenthrills

It's not just the lights going away it is just another cut to holiday stuff at Walt Disney World. WDW used to rule Christmas time, DL Resort really now dominates Christmas when it comes to Disney, but they have cut one thing after another. With the lights going away that is a huge reason many came during the holidays. SeaWorld and BGT have already stepped up their game during the holidays I wonder if Universal will step up their holiday offerings next year with WDW getting rid of another hugely popular holiday thing.

rsoxguy

Steve asked for thoughts, and these are mine. I have seen the Christmas Holiday Season celebrations deteriorating steadily over the years at WDW. I have noticed the decline particularly at EPCOT and somewhat at the Magic Kingdom. Now we see the Osborne Lights going away. I believe, as an opinion based on observation and without any inside information or documented proof, that Disney is making enough holiday money with minimal investment and is therefore in a position to keep cutting expenses while still making a sufficient profit. A corporation that bills itself as "magic" should stop subjecting itself to the standards established with the ridiculous hyperbole of its own advertising and just tell us all that we can spend gobs of money and have a nice time if we come to the parks. The concept of magic constantly being fed to its consumers is slowly fading.

Biff215

So from this non-renewal (i'll call it) of the Osborne Festival of Lights, can we assume that this indicates the use of America for Star Wars Land/ the end of muppet vision 3D, please someone clarify if my assumptions are in correct! ( I hope they are)

Can't be a coincidence that this was announced on the same day Staggs confirmed that Star Wars Land will break ground in 2016.

I doubt we'll see anything on this level as a new offering next year. Not trying to be negative, but as others have mentioned, People will flock there anyway. I agree fireworks are likely to try and lessen the blow to the Studios.

The holidays used to be our favorite time to visit. I no longer see it as an option, this is the final straw.

Thelazer

Oh Come On!. Ya'll know that Cindy's Castle is going to be DANCING TO THE MUSIC in 2016... It's already got the lights and the control equipment to do it.!

wendysue

Out of almost everything that has been stopped or has gone away this effects me the most. It was a special, one time a year thing that just put you in the mood.. Tugged at your heart and made you feel on top of the world. There really is nothing that can replace it.
As I've said on another thread, there is nothing but the Brown Derby that will bring me back to that park. Been on TSMM enough for a lifetime along with the TOT. Not a big Star Wars fan so looks like I'm down to 3 parks. Shame.

I agree totally with you. There is nothing to make me want to go back during the Christmas season. It's going to make it much easier to kick my addiction to Disney. Hey wait....$$$$$$ for something else!

Fox&Hound

Maybe for the month of December the plants in Avatar/Pandora will glow green and red while dancing to Christmas music. Hahaha- can you imagine how tacky that would be =)

raymusiccity

Can't be a coincidence that this was announced on the same day Staggs confirmed that Star Wars Land will break ground in 2016.

I doubt we'll see anything on this level as a new offering next year. Not trying to be negative, but as others have mentioned, People will flock there anyway. I agree fireworks are likely to try and lessen the blow to the Studios.

The holidays used to be our favorite time to visit. I no longer see it as an option, this is the final straw.

I agree, but, I'm hesitant to bring up Disney's politically correct reason in their march away from celebrating 'Christmas'. This is their golden opportunity to ditch the Nativity, Angels and Joy to the World. They don't want to make any of their guests feel uncomfortable.

Sped2424

I am heartbroken. This was a family tradition that we had for ages and to see this go knowing there will be no replacement for them really does sting. I understand they couldn't survive at the studios given construction. Hopefully something new will be done for the holiday season that will be just as beautiful and mesmerizing as the lights, but something tells me that isn't going to happen :<

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
After having a few hours to let this sink in I am still sad this will be the last Christmas we will be able to see the lights.

Living less than a mile from the Osbornes was a blessing and a curse but did provide us many opportunities to watch the ever growing light setup grow each year until it encompasses three large homes on one of the busier roads. Each year Jennings would be out handing small children those giant candy canes and would invite families to the inside areas behind the walls where he had some displays for the family and guests. Unfortunately the traffic became out of control he was down which gave the world the opportunity to see them a WDW, we have been visiting yearly since 1998 when my youngest was old enough to travel fairly easily, it has been a blessing to see Disney continue to use many of the props including the trees, globe, Mickey Mouse Train, stockings and of course the cat.

Once again this year we will be visiting but unfortunately it will be our last to see the lights. I will spend more time this year taking photos and video for family, friends and our own memories but I can look back and remember them when they were almost all red and draping the Osborne house and marvel at where they ended up.

As a Star Wars kid that never grew up I am excited to see what will be built but just a bit of sadness that a piece of my familes annual Christmas tradition is ending because of it.

HiYa Pal

Having never seen the lights at EPCOT, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a place they could even put something on the scale of Osborne, which I love, but the last few times I've been, it's been so crowded and wall to wall people, it hasn't been as enjoyable, although the updates to the tunnel have been crazy!! My imagination is taking me to something indoors in EPCOT in either wonders of life or the world showcase tent thing for a smaller scale show, that being indoors wouldn't surcum to rain issues, and could run the entire time the park was open.

POLY LOVER

The Osborne lights are something I heard about and attended for the first time last year. We brought my father and mother in law who were amazed by the shear volume of lights, I loved it and we were going to make it a standing tradition each year. I loved the story of how the lights got to be here in Disney it seemed like another great Disney story. I can,t believe they would drop a bomb shell like this with no announcement of a replacement. Disney is really starting to concern me. How can they do this. Why not just close DHS down and reopen when there is something like a park again. The planning or lack of stinks. Totally disappointed!

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm thrilled with this announcement, losing 2 months of lights for12 months of rides, shows, and shops is an easy choice. With the remaining Christmas decorations at the resorts and parks, not to mention the processional and Santa's around the world at Epcot, Christmas will still be my favorite time to visit. Disneyland is stunning at Christmas and they have never had anything on the massive scale of the Osbourne lights. Maybe they can find a building somewhere to light up like It's a small world at DL.

Sped2424

I'm thrilled with this announcement, losing 2 months of lights for12 months of rides, shows, and shops is an easy choice. With the remaining Christmas decorations at the resorts and parks, not to mention the processional and Santa's around the world at Epcot, Christmas will still be my favorite time to visit. Disneyland is stunning at Christmas and they have never had anything on the massive scale of the Osbourne lights. Maybe they can find a building somewhere to light up like It's a small world at DL.
Losing entertainment that can indeed be made up with something new elsewhere is not a trade off for gaining rides. For you the lights weren't a draw, for many it's the reason they visited and it's been something unique that has been a staple for the walt disney resort. It's a sad thing to let go of for me and many on here, but I agree what's coming is worth the loss of the lights. But not the loss of holiday entertainment, get rid of the lights sure. But replace that event with something that can offer a similar draw on the same scale elsewhere.

aladdin2007

I wouldnt exactly applaud them for that, decor has been removed left and right, and as for Epcot its down to just about nothing compared to what it use to be. the lists grow for the other parks as well, the resorts too really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom