2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

mergatroid

After the success of the food and wine festival at Epcot and the popularity of HHN at Universal, I think an alcohol related event is a must. We could have the 'Drink Till You Drop Party' or the 'Beer and Barf Bash', add a few CM's dressed in Mrs Santa Claus outfits and we're onto a winner here :hungover:

(If you're reading this Disney, I've mailed myself these money spinning ideas thus copy-writing them. So don't even think about it without pm'ing me first :p

Luxe

I want to start off by saying that I have never seen the dancing lights in person, although I just so happen to be visiting this Christmas for the final run of the lights!

I don't understand the amount of people saying that there will be no reason for them to visit during Christmas once the lights are gone. Do you really go to Disney in December specifically to watch some lights turn off and on to music? I have no doubt that it's a fantastic show and don't mean to diminish it in any way but come on, there's plenty of reasons to visit during the holiday season. Maybe not as many as before but I have confidence that once a large portion of the building finishes, they will have more time to focus on these types of holiday events.

Disney has so much on their plate right now that the people managing all of these projects deserve a raise in my opinion. I can barely remember to take a frozen pizza out of the oven! As people always say here, things have to get worse before they get better.

Biff215

I want to start off by saying that I have never seen the dancing lights in person, although I just so happen to be visiting this Christmas for the final run of the lights!

I don't understand the amount of people saying that there will be no reason for them to visit during Christmas once the lights are gone. Do you really go to Disney in December specifically to watch some lights turn off and on to music? I have no doubt that it's a fantastic show and don't mean to diminish it in any way but come on, there's plenty of reasons to visit during the holiday season. Maybe not as many as before but I have confidence that once a large portion of the building finishes, they will have more time to focus on these types of holiday events.

Disney has so much on their plate right now that the people managing all of these projects deserve a raise in my opinion. I can barely remember to take a frozen pizza out of the oven! As people always say here, things have to get worse before they get better.
How many unique holiday offerings are left, especially those that can be experienced without a ticket or package? Going during the holiday season is typically more expensive all around, as well as being busier around Thanksgiving/Christmas Day/New Years when many people can go.

We go twice a year religiously, and December used to be a special treat as it got us in the Christmas spirit. Now I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra money and dealing with the crowds if I can just go in January and get the same experience.

Just my opinion, and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on what still makes your holiday trip worth it.

Luxe

How many unique holiday offerings are left, especially those that can be experienced without a ticket or package? Going during the holiday season is typically more expensive all around, as well as being busier around Thanksgiving/Christmas Day/New Years when many people can go.

We go twice a year religiously, and December used to be a special treat as it got us in the Christmas spirit. Now I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra money and dealing with the crowds if I can just go in January and get the same experience.

Just my opinion, and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on what still makes your holiday trip worth it.

Fair point. I guess I am a little bit biased because I am just happy to even make it to Disney once a year. I definitely agree about the ticketed events though, I'm already spending a ton of money to be there I shouldn't have to fork out more just to attend certain times of the year.

The big issue I have with it being removed is that, as far as I can tell, it was quite a large pull to HWS from MK for nightime holiday entertainment. When it's gone, where will people naturally spend more time around the holidays? I would bet money that it isn't Disney's Construction Wall Studios.

Personally I would appreciate something as simple as more holiday decorations around the park or another special show.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney should do just like the Trailer Park Trash around here and leave the decorations up year round (just unplug them during the warmer months).

It would save a ton of cash to not have all that labor cost every year.

Win/Win situation.

FigmentForver96

Disney should do just like the Trailer Park Trash around here and leave the decorations up year round (just unplug them during the warmer months).

Win/Win situation.
That's assuming they were cut for money reasons. It looks to me likes it's more of that plot of land stands in the way of future growth. If Disney is willing to spend the money for better things then I say cut the lights.

Biff215

Win/Win situation.
I'm sure there's some sarcasm here, but as someone who puts up a rather modest 100,000 lights each year, it just doesn't work that way. The longer those lights and wires are subjected to weather, the shorter their life and the more issues that you'll come across when you go to turn them back on.

I don't think it's a labor/cost issue, and I'm fine with this going if it means HS can get the permanent attractions it needs. I'm just concerned that a replacement elsewhere won't happen and we'll be left with one less holiday offering. As others have said, I don't want to witness the crowds at MK and even Epcot starting next year, it simply won't be enjoyable.

matt9112

Can't be a coincidence that this was announced on the same day Staggs confirmed that Star Wars Land will break ground in 2016.

I doubt we'll see anything on this level as a new offering next year. Not trying to be negative, but as others have mentioned, People will flock there anyway. I agree fireworks are likely to try and lessen the blow to the Studios.

The holidays used to be our favorite time to visit. I no longer see it as an option, this is the final straw.

People will flock in droves to just be at disney....if It was a RMV office.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Moving the lights to Disney Springs would be a disaster of epic proportions. You know how bad it is getting in and out of there right now? Now imagine adding thousands more people during the holidays trying to come see the lights. The traffic snarl it would create would be mammoth.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Moving the lights to Disney Springs would be a disaster of epic proportions. You know how bad it is getting in and out of there right now? Now imagine adding thousands more people during the holidays trying to come see the lights. The traffic snarl it would create would be mammoth.
But they are building garages that will alleviate the congestion and parking problems. :D

matt9112

Losing entertainment that can indeed be made up with something new elsewhere is not a trade off for gaining rides. For you the lights weren't a draw, for many it's the reason they visited and it's been something unique that has been a staple for the walt disney resort. It's a sad thing to let go of for me and many on here, but I agree what's coming is worth the loss of the lights. But not the loss of holiday entertainment, get rid of the lights sure. But replace that event with something that can offer a similar draw on the same scale elsewhere.

I think the point was a possible gain for every guest on every day of the year vs guests who come during a small window even if they believe it to be special or the reason for there trip.

Sped2424

I think the point was a possible gain for every guest on every day of the year vs guests who come during a small window even if they believe it to be special or the reason for there trip.
The point I am making is there shouldn't need to be a trade off. Both are entirely possible not saying with the lights, but holiday entertainment shouldn't die off forever just for expansions or new attractions. The lights can die sure, but I would hope Disney has a killer replacement in the works. Seasonal offerings like this help to keep things fresh year round.

matt9112

The point I am making is there shouldn't need to be a trade off. Both are entirely possible not saying with the lights, but holiday entertainment shouldn't die off forever just for expansions or new attractions. The lights can die sure, but I would hope Disney has a killer replacement in the works. Seasonal offerings like this help to keep things fresh year round.

Until the magic kingdom attendance drops....I don't think they care....fact is they don't NEED to do season offerings. Hard tickets are an exception since they directly bring ROI. Fact is year after year more guests go to Disney world. If they take things away and the trend continues? Money left on the table.

HauntedMansionFLA

Any chance disney gets people to book trips this year (that weren't planning to visit) to see the Osborne Lights one final time? Then early 2016 announce a new and improved Christmas Lights for DHS? Or are they trying to sell out every night for MVMCP?

Uncle Lupe

I could see a hard ticket event for DHS in the future. They had a summer Frozen show so easy enough to adapt that to winter add some other special crap. Boom $50 a ticket.

Less focused on Christmas and more focused on winter or another Frozen holiday. That way you cover all bases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom