2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

KrazyKat

I thought it might've been armchair Imagineering but I wasn't sure. I remember it was a long time ago it was brought up.

JohnD

star-wars-holiday-special-poster.jpg

Naturally!

kfergdisney

Epcot needs something spectacularly amazing for the Christmas holiday season. Something visually amazing. I'm sure there are talks already for ideas if not plans on what to do and where.
And, after all the new lands are built at HS, I have faith that there will be something awesome there to lift the Holiday Spirits.

Sonconato

I know this thread is about lights, but how about an Off Kilter Christmas show at Epcot. I know there is "The Voyageurs", it just isn't the same as just Off Kilter. A lot of you will be groaning I mentioned this, but I sure do miss Off Kilter.

HouCuseChickie

While I know not everyone would agree, I think it would be amazing to see the lights through the World Showcase and see the WS dance :) Still, I am so sad that they currently have no plans to relocate the lights. I'm thankful I have had the opportunity to see them several times.

blu3

Disney is returning all lights to the family.
From a family member on another Disney board:
Hey gang, Tristan here, yes sadly the lights will be coming to an end after the 2015 Holiday Season. My family sat down with the directors of the lights last night, and we were told that this year is going to be the biggest and best year for the lights as a final blow-out and the 20th year celebration. There are currently no plans to move the lights to any portion of HS or any other park on Disney property. (In fact we were given and inventory sheet of the items in the lights that belong to our family, which further cements the fact that they will never again be displayed on Disney property.)

While the family is sad that the lights will be leaving Disney, we are so very happy that we had the chance to spend 20 years lighting up HS and the many, many people we were able to meet and make their lives brighter after seeing the lights.

We hope you'll join us for one last hurrah, before the streets go dark. And don't worry I'm sure Disney will fill the void with something equally as magical as the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights was for the last 20 years!

-Tris

DisneyDebRob

Out of almost everything that has been stopped or has gone away this effects me the most. It was a special, one time a year thing that just put you in the mood.. Tugged at your heart and made you feel on top of the world. There really is nothing that can replace it.
As I've said on another thread, there is nothing but the Brown Derby that will bring me back to that park. Been on TSMM enough for a lifetime along with the TOT. Not a big Star Wars fan so looks like I'm down to 3 parks. Shame.

PhilharMagician

So sad! The Osborne Lights are amazing and have gotten better each year. They are absolutely stunning when they are dancing in sync to the music. These light draw massive crowds during their entire run each year. The loss of the lights will have to be quite a hit to the attendance count once they go away.

I do not see another great location within WDW to move the lights to.
Epcot WS is too crammed as it is during the Christmas season. To add another show in that walkway would be suicide.
AK just no!!
MK MSUSA would be the most stunning location to incorporate into all the buildings, but it's to busy already and has the MVMCP for the holiday.
DHS (or whatever they will call it) could possible move the lights to Hollywood, Vine and Sunset where people could view during their Exit of the park. IMHO this would be the current best option.
Disney Springs? No! Just because they cannot charge admission.

DougK

It has been on the cards for the last couple of years, and Disney has now finally announced the end of the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.
For me, a new version of Lights of Winter at Epcot would be the answer - but it would need to seriously raise the bar.

If they bring back Lights of Winter it will only be after Disney figures out how to make it an upcharge event. I wish I was kidding.

ULPO46

It is so sad to see it go. I remember it was one of those magical Disney on Christmas memories that I had growing up. Each Christmas after unwrapping gifts I'd go with family to all four parks and end at what was than known as MGM to see the lights go on. It was special and honestly will miss those light as they brought the happiest memories I ever had.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So sad! The Osborne Lights are amazing and have gotten better each year. They are absolutely stunning when they are dancing in sync to the music. These light draw massive crowds during their entire run each year. The loss of the lights will have to be quite a hit to the attendance count once they go away.

I do not see another great location within WDW to move the lights to.
Epcot WS is too crammed as it is during the Christmas season. To add another show in that walkway would be suicide.
AK just no!!
MK MSUSA would be the most stunning location to incorporate into all the buildings, but it's to busy already and has the MVMCP for the holiday.
DHS (or whatever they will call it) could possible move the lights to Hollywood, Vine and Sunset where people could view during their Exit of the park. IMHO this would be the current best option.
Disney Springs? No! Just because they cannot charge admission.
Disney has said they will not be moved and are not returning. So any replacement will have to be an all new show of some kind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom